laminar lip or cee baily

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
I recently got a 2010 FJR with 1800 miles. After the test ride I knew the stock windscreen wasn't tall enough. Had the dealer install the Yamaha touring screen which is better but still a lot of turbulence, should I add a laminar lip or go with a cee baily or cal science? Loving the bike only added the windscreen and a throttlemeister (not yet installed)

Windscreens are very much a personal choice thing, like seats. Best is to try some options, if you can find another FJR rider who'll lend you bike or windscreen for a test.

Since that was not an option for me here in the wilds of Canuckistan, I opted for a laminar lip, basically to see if it made substantial difference. It did, and I then sold the laminar lip to a fellow rider, and bought a Cee Baily fliip with a pale grey tint. It works well for me.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cee Bailey with a Laminar Lip. Offers very good protection and a bubble of calm and quiet air in the cock pit. The CB alone works okay, but I needed to have it up to about eye level. With the Laminar Lip I can have the windshield 2-3 inches below eye level, and that is a good thing.

Reverse contour CB or a Rifle and tuning block. I run the former in two different sizes for winter and summer riding. Best bet is to buy used, figure out what works for YOU and resell the rest.

Good luck in your windshield search.

--G

I have had good luck with the Cee Bailey.(On my 2nd one) They are very well made. They make airplane windows also. I think they look better than most because they curve the plastic in two directions, not just one direction like the Cal Sci.

GP

I have a 2+2 reverse flip and love it.

It works great for me, but a windshield is not a one fits all situation.

Good luck with your quest.

I use a Lip during warmer weather and a reverse flip +2 +2 (or it might be +4 height...can't remember!) during colder weather. A little more wind gets to me with the stock shield +Lip, and a little less wind with the CB. I like both solutions.

I have a laminar lip on the stock screen and find it works good for me, though my long distance riding is infrequent if that makes any sense. Hardly any buffeting at high cruising speeds. I don't expect to change screens as I reckon it looks okay too.

Each to their own I guess.

BTW I'm 6' 3", inseam 33" and bike has 1" risers and Russell seat.

I had a laminar lip mounted on my Gen II stock screen. After riding in three days of non-stop rain followed by two days in the dusty heat of NM and AZ, it came loose beyond roadside repair. Because I did not think it made much difference in any condition, I pulled it off and left it by the side of the road near Yuma. Another useless (for me) farkle.

Latest posts