09 rear brake issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman09

Reaction score
I have and issue with my rear brakes. I have bleed them several times, only for it to last as little as a day. I see no leaks and the reservoir has fluid, but no pressure at the pedal. I had it done at and independent shop as well as two dealers,same problem. Anyone having or had same problem? Would appreciate any help on this matter.

hmmm. was one of those dealers a Yamaha dealer? Why would they let you take the bike out of the shop?

I'd got back to Yamaha.

SoCal I have rebuilt the master cyl,with oem parts kit? Hot Rod you may be on to something? I'll give that a try. Thanks for the quick responses.

I had the same problem after the 24000 mile service where the tech bled the rear brake because he thought the pedal was soft. It was soft when he finished to the point of almost no brake at all. Bled the system properly: first the valve on the front caliper and then the valve on the rear caliper. Presto-rear brake works properly. Did speak to the service writer ans suggest that the tech would benefit from a review training session on how to bleed the brakes on the FJR.

Thanks for all the tips, will be checking things out ASAP! Will let you know the thing that fixes the problem.

kman,

Had the the same symptons on an 08. Using a service manual as a guide, I bled the brakes a couple of times with no change in pedal pressure. Took the bike to my dealer and he bled the brakes using a power bleeder and fixed the problem. I think you still have air in the line.

Farmer

To start with the basics, on an ABS bike, ensure the right front lower caliper is bled first (always bleed the one furthest from the master cylinder first), then the rear caliper. I also would say don't use a vacuum type bleeder, just use the old fashioned way with the brake pedal. Hope that fixes it.

Try to get the ABS to activate if possible as well. There may be a option in the back menu to cycle it but I forget. After that, rebleed the rear brake circuit.

There is a nice thread on bleeding the ABS brakes, written by WarChild if I remember correctly. I would have to a search to find it (at work and no time) but I remember reading it last week.

I found the topic and it is labeled test and maintain your ABS system and is by IONBEAM. Great info on this subject. Making a little clicky thing here would be nice but I lack that knowledge.

I also would say don't use a vacuum type bleeder, just use the old fashioned way with the brake pedal. Hope that fixes it.
Never heard this before. Any reason why?

Beary
Probably more of a personal bias than anything, but I've had more friends mess up with a vacuum type. Using the old fashioned way is putting pressure on the system from inside out, thus should push out any air. Vacuum pumps suck through the bleeder screw, and if the threads aren't sealed or the reservoir runs low, the air gets into the system. Mind you if the reservoir runs low with any method....... oops. Really though, I never saw any compelling reason to buy a vacuum bleeder despite all the hype, but if it works for you, I respect that. I've bled brakes and clutches many many times over the years and the old fashioned way always seem to work just fine.

Speed Bleeders are your friends. Turns the job into a one man job. But you have to bleed in the proper order.

I tend to agree with Rayzerman that although the vacuum bleeders (mightyvac, etc.) are popular, it's easy to run a reservoir out of fluid in the event you don't get the pump shut down in time. Doing it the old fashion way by pumping the levers, in my opinion, is a more closely controlled situation. Speedbleeders make this process a snap and eliminate the chance of sucking air back into the system at the caliper...especially if you are coordination-challenged like me!

Latest posts