Handlebar Position on Gen2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckendall

Reaction score
I have accumulated about 1500 miles on my new to me 2010 FJR. Overall I love the bike and now that I am retired I hope to have time and finances to use it as it was intended. Sport Touring.

I will start another thread on some of my ride experiences so far, but right now I need some help with the handlebars. Since I am about 5'10" and 160ish #, I usually fit most bikes and suspension is in the ballpark. I have done a couple 500 mile days now and I find that the bars are too angled for me. I thought I would be able to flatten some of that out, but further reading says that the factory adjustments only allow for for and aft adjustments.

I also found that as I got more comfortable on the bike and my cruising speeds increased, I tended to lean forward more. So, bringing the bars up and back would not suit me. I want a flatter angle. I saw an adapter made in England I believe that seemed like it offered different angles, etc, but of course I can't find it now.

Any help out there? Thanks in advance,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
If you tend to lean forward, try moving the bars to their widest position first. This position is generally for those with longer arms or want to lean forward more/less upright.

Put an electronic cruise control on the bike so when you get up to speed you can ride no hands. Being able to take either (or both) hand off while riding makes it quite relaxing, and will help keep your fingers from getting numb.

Brodie

:)

The bikes are shipped with the bars in the center of the three available positions. Unless yours have already been moved you have a small amount of forward adjustment available to you.

I have read on this forum that it is possible to grind off the tiny alignment studs on the underside of the handlebars and then "pivot" the bars to change the angle. I never tried that and do NOT recommend it.

Both the MV Motorad and the new Heli-Bar Bridge allow you to pivot the bars forward and back which allows you to change the angle a great deal. However, both of these excellent products move the bars up and back a great deal, not further forward.

Be aware that the overwhelming majority want the bars up and back. It is a rare thing when one of us wants the bars further forward. Good luck.

Take the bars off, cut off one of the locating pins, reassemble and adjust for the angle you want. If that is all you do there are no worries about cable lengths. Have had mine like that for 7 years now and they have never slipped out of position.

I thought the too-far back bars were a big problem for the first two years/20,000 miles I had my bike, then I found a solution that works for me.

I didn't remove the locating pins or rotatedmy bars forward but instead attached the problem from the other end. I now use an AirHawk seat pad which raises the rider's seating surface to the same level as the passenger's. I'm almost always one-up, so that with both seats at the same height, I have my choice of straddling the seam or sliding even further back.

Varying the location of my butt alows me to vary the forward lean on the fly.

I am the same height and about 10lbs less wt than Rckendall. Until I attended a riding clinic, subject; proper riding position to eliminate discomfort, I too wanted to change the handle bar position. My 07 FJR had heli-riser set up and I still had wrist and shoulder pain. I learned to ride in a more sit-up drop the arms with elbows hanging down and moderate pressure on the foot pegs. More fine tuned, sit up and let your shoulders slump slightly forward, let the arms hang loose and do not grip the bars with any degree of pressure. You can effectively handle the bike with only a very light grip on the bars. This takes practice and a conscience effort to perfect. I for one can tell you it works. It is easy to go back to leaning forward and putting weight on the bars and the pain will return. It is like gripping a golf club. Pretend you are holding a raw egg. Try this before spending money on hardware that may not give you the results desired.

I have accumulated about 1500 miles on my new to me 2010 FJR. Overall I love the bike and now that I am retired I hope to have time and finances to use it as it was intended. Sport Touring.
I will start another thread on some of my ride experiences so far, but right now I need some help with the handlebars. Since I am about 5'10" and 160ish #, I usually fit most bikes and suspension is in the ballpark. I have done a couple 500 mile days now and I find that the bars are too angled for me. I thought I would be able to flatten some of that out, but further reading says that the factory adjustments only allow for for and aft adjustments.

I also found that as I got more comfortable on the bike and my cruising speeds increased, I tended to lean forward more. So, bringing the bars up and back would not suit me. I want a flatter angle. I saw an adapter made in England I believe that seemed like it offered different angles, etc, but of course I can't find it now.

Any help out there? Thanks in advance,

Richard
I'm with you on this one. I too would like the bars to be flatter and its not a matter of the height as this has no effect on the angle. The solution that I'm looking att is the MV Motorad product from Germany

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2012+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate.htm

Bit expensive but I'm thinking its worth it as the discomfort in my hand is irritating.

The Heli-Bar bridge does exactly the same thing as the MV Motoradd. They just don't advertise it that way. Be aware that as you "flatten" the angle you also widen the span. That could be a plus or a minus depending on personal preference.