Iridium plugs for genIII FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRat

Reaction score
Today, while having my Air Induction Plates removed I asked the mech to change plugs...they could not find an Iridium plug number for my 2014 FJR.

Is there not any? if there are, where can I get them?

No there are no iridium plugs that are a direct replacement for 3rd gens. The new spark plugs for the COP bikes have a longer center electrode tip than past FJR ignitions. I'd just stick with the stock plugs. They should be able to last ~ 25k miles (time between valve clearance checks) quite easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of iridium plugs that I purchased for my previous gen II but never installed. So I think I'll list them in the for sale section (sheep) for a lucky gen I or gen II owner and stick with OEM variety for my gen III for now.

dudes, I hate to ask this question but the query is driving me nuts: At the risk of sound super dumb:

What in the hellck is gen I, Gen II, and Gen III? I have taken for granted that my 2014 is a Gen III since that appears to be the younger generation...is that so wrong?

dudes, I hate to ask this question but the query is driving me nuts: At the risk of sound super dumb:
What in the hellck is gen I, Gen II, and Gen III? I have taken for granted that my 2014 is a Gen III since that appears to be the younger generation...is that so wrong?
FJRat the only dumb question is the one not asked, you're correct your's ( 2013's and up) is a Gen III, '03's - '05's are Gen I, '06's- '12's Gen II

hope that helps...

FJRat the only dumb question is the one not asked, you're correct your's ( 2013's and up) is a Gen III, '03's - '05's are Gen I, '06's- '12's Gen II

hope that helps...
More info here..https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/forum/77-faqs-and-common-historical-info/

Petey has given the correct answer. But wait.... there's more. The whole Gen I, Gen II, Gen III nomenclature is not a Yamaha model type designator, it is made up by us Formites as an easy way to keep the significant redesign years separated because each 'Gen(eration)' has features and changes that have to be taken in account for part interchangeability, operational specs and accessories.

Just off the phone to NGK Australia.

The Gen 3's OEM plugs, the CPR8EA-9 has an iridium replacement, the CPR8EAIX-9.
None in Australia and not listed on any of the NGK websites ........ yet.

I inquired about using the iridium CR8EIX, not a problem at all.

The Gen 3's CPR8EA-9 has a 3mm projection while the "standard" FJR iridium replacement, the CR8EIX has a 1mm projection.

I would have thought the iridium plugs would have worked in a 2013 FJR. I checked the parts drawings and the pistons for 2012 and 2013 are the same part. The heads, however, are apparently slightly different according to the part numbers.

Can anyone clarify?

Just off the phone to NGK Australia.
The Gen 3's OEM plugs, the CPR8EA-9 has an iridium replacement, the CPR8EAIX-9.

None in Australia and not listed on any of the NGK websites ........ yet.

I inquired about using the iridium CR8EIX, not a problem at all.

The Gen 3's CPR8EA-9 has a 3mm projection while the "standard" FJR iridium replacement, the CR8EIX has a 1mm projection.
No, not a problem using CR8EIX plugs, but not optimum for use with the new ignition system, either. Undoubtedly the designers went to the new longer tip plugs for good reason. I'm sure that they will be superior when mated with the COP ignition coils.

I figure that the original plugs will be good for at least 15k miles of use, and hopefully by then the iridium equivalents will be in stock and on the shelves. And yes, I will be jumping on the iridium bandwagon on the G3 , now that the ignition system can actually make full use of the iridium center electrodes. I'm betting we should be able to get at least 50k miles out of a set of iridium plugs on a G3

Thanks, Fred. You answered my question. I am an FJR noob. I didn't consider any difference in the ignition system.