Creative Solution to Aging Gen 1 Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
As some know I work in the same company as Warchild and about 10 years ago I started pining over his 2003 FJR (back when there weren't many in the country) and called 16 dealers in the PNW before I found a 2005 ABS a person had bailed out on the PDP. And I put 168,000 miles on it (I called her "Heart of Gold" from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). And I even put 50,000 miles on another '05 non-ABS called "Zaphod", but I never cottoned too him. And I even won 3rd place with it in the most recent Cognoscente rally with the older one.

Riding home I started thinking about what I was going to do as she enters middle-age and the host of issues that haven't stranded me yet, but certainly add to the maintenance regime and risk of a DNF.

Then I had an epiphany that's simple in hindsight. It fixes all the issues I've been having as well as adds even more to my riding experience. Something that money fixes well.

Meet my new friend, "Deep Thought". It's a 2014ES and is ubersweet. And as a hardened Gen 1 owner I'm here to affirm that Gen 3's rock! I figured that out in less than the first 25 miles....the refinement in the last 10 years is more substantial than I thought possible.

2014fjr1300es.jpg

Warchild approves as well.
wink.png

More to follow as I hopefully get a chance to ride her this evening.

Heart of Gold won't disappear though. She's gonna still get a spot in the garage and a battery tender connection for a ride here and there I'm sure.....or hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a wonderful solution. That is probably the best type of preventive maintanance. I sure came close to that same solution and I have not ruled it out entirely.

Congratulations. Are you planning to outfit this one for future LD Rallies?

Woohoo! Congratulations on the HOT new ride.

Looks ready to hit the road and cause some "where do I live?" amnesia.

"Bring your towel! "

Congratulations on the new member to your household. I've seen the change of bike year under your avatar and the selling of Gen I parts and was wondering when you would come out of the closet
wink.png
If there was any way I would have me one of those them things in my garage, maybe next year, sigh. Hope you have a long happy relationship! Now, go farkel 'er up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to clean my glasses; I first read the bike's name as "Deep Throat"!

Congratulations on the new ride. I figure there is a 2014 Gen III in my future but that will likely be just before the Gen IV's come out in four or five years.

Sweet ride! Congrats. Any problem areas on any of the new Gen III stuff will likely be exposed soon, as I imagine this bike will be torture tested.

Yep. That incremental improvement approach Yamaha has taken with the FJR has worked supurbly. And shows just how damned good the original platform was.

Awesome! Congratulations. I can just imagine the butterflies fluttering around in your stomach right now. It's like love at first sight... :D

Congrats! Love that red.

So, are going to do any campaigning for "real time" aboard "Deep Thought?"

Congratulations on having that "Deep Thought" Matt.

I felt the same way after my first ride on the ES. It is all that in comparison to my Gen 1- 03'

I had a feeling something was up when you were selling off some Gen 1 farkles.

Looking forward to your observations err... Deep thoughts after some more rides.
smile.png

Lol...another one finally realized the distinct benefits of the '14ES! Keep riding get and you'll remember why you like the FJR so much and thank Yamaha for improving an already good bike over the years.

Welcome to the "I see red" group!