"Loose" noise on Gen III from front end?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
On my '14es I notice when going across expansion joints on concrete roads or over other "sharp" road irregularities there is a noise coming from the front end. Not the clunking of loose steering head bearings, but like loose fairing panels or the front fender.

Checked all the fasteners that I could see/find but all were tight, nothing obvious that would be the source of the noise.

Even with the suspension set at it's softest, the noise is still present.

Anyone else notice a similar noise on their bike? Never experienced something like this on my '03.

I have noticed the same thing on mine, but it's the same thing I noticed on the FZ1 with no apparent ill effects after 16K miles so I'm not worried about it.

Floating rotors...they WILL rattle on bumps.
I've had this on both my FJRs.
Sit on the ground facing the side of the wheel, grasp the brake disc with both hands, now try rotating it vigorously clockwise and counter-clockwise, see if you hear the noise. Try both sides.

If you find it, you can put it out of your mind, it's normal for the floating brake disc.

On the way in to work this a.m. I applied the front brake lightly while going over similar conditions as I had posted in my original post, seemed to quiet things down quite a bit.

I'll have to try mcatrophy's "test".

It's one of those things that the previous FJR didn't make "that" noise, but the new one does so was curious to find what it was.

Did find an "extra" bolt that somehow found it's way between the splash shield that attaches to the underside of the frame at the steering head-only similar bolt appears to be the one that secures the battery bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did find an "extra" bolt that somehow found it's way between the splash shield that attaches to the underside of the frame at the steering head-only similar bolt appears to be the one that secures the battery bracket.
That's probably what it was. The tech likely put in the battery at set up and dropped/lost it and replaced with a new one.

I have not noticed the noise from the front end but I typically have ear plugs in. I'll have to check on this a little closer.

Funny this topic should come up. I recently rode a short distance without ear plugs (I almost always wear them) and noticed what I think is the noise you’re describing when going over some bumpy surfaces. I was worried that when doing some recent farkling I hadn’t quite gotten the fairings back on securely or something, but I will check the brake rotor thing to see if the sound is the same. On the other hand, my original right-hand headlight adjustment knob still hasn’t turned up after disappearing several months ago, so who knows?

I honestly couldn't say for sure whether this is a new sound or something that I've never noticed before because of my ear protection (I thought I had ridden short distances once or twice before without ear plugs but I could be wrong...). As somebody posted here recently, you hear all kinds of unsettling noises when not wearing ear plugs. That is, I suppose, until the effects of not wearing ear plugs kick in and you end up not hearing anything at all.

My 13 has had a plasticky rattle in the upper left fairing area since I got it. I usually don't hear it unless I'm in town and low speeds.

Thinking it was some shit in my glovebox I took it out and tried again. Nope. Still there. Gave things under the fairing a poking to see if it was something loose. Nope. No joy.

It was while I giving the bike it's first wax job I noticed the noise I've been hearing is the where the side panel joins up against the glovebox panel. Just plastic vibrating when I hit some road irregularities, of which, theirs a TON in this town.

Ear plugs it is, and I've completely stopped riding the FJR in town because the roads are f'n atrocious here. The only time the FJR comes out now is on weekends when I'm in need of some throttle therapy. The rest of the time, my little 2-fitty trail bikes seems to love the craptacular roads though.

My 2014 A model makes the same noises described. As mentioned, I only hear it when not wearing earplugs, which is rare. I assumed it was coming from the windscreen system, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the bike's performance, so I've just ignored it.

I noticed it on mine too. It sort of sounds like there is a plastic panel a little loose somewhere in the front. I checked everything. We even tightened the steering head bearing and that didn't get rid if it.

When someone finds out what it is, I'd really like to know.

My bike has the same general creaks and rattles as many seem to. I normally ride with ear buds or plugs so when I opt to use neither it sounds like the bike is shaking apart.

Get some ear plugs and ride on!

I noticed it on mine too. It sort of sounds like there is a plastic panel a little loose somewhere in the front. I checked everything. We even tightened the steering head bearing and that didn't get rid if it.When someone finds out what it is, I'd really like to know.
I can stop by and pick up that POS RED ES and ride it until I find the noise. I'm pretty sure I can find the squeak by December
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I did as mcatrophy suggested and it could possibly be the noise I am hearing is from the floating rotors. If/when I take off the side fairing panels, I'll see if anything behind them could be causing any "noise".

When riding I use hearing protection, but not when just around town, which is where I notice it more. Not a huge deal, just wasn't used to hearing it on the previous bike.

When I heard a loose noise from the front of my 13 it was because the front fender was loose and about to fall off.