Southwest FJR Forum August Overnighter to San Diego!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Southwest FJR Forum August Overnighter to San Diego, stay on Coronado and cruise the Bay! The month of August has five weekends in it, the last weekend is definitely out because it is Labor Day. I would like input from Southwest FJR Forumites as to which of these four weekends we pick for this fun weekend overnighter to San Diego, we'd leave the Valley on Saturday at 0800 hours from the Love's in Chandler at the 202/10 split and return by sundown on Sunday night.

These plans include dining aboard ship while we tour San Diego Bay, we could either do Dinner on Saturday evening or have Brunch on Sunday morning.

Saturday night we'll party together in Old Town San Diego, Papa Chuy Viejo will investigate a shuttle van to take us to and from our lodging! Fiesta, ese!

https://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sandiego/a/harborcruise.htm

oldtown.jpg

old-town-map-big.jpg

200800911_0046-a.jpg
sg_0004_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez - I wish I could make this!! Been to San Diego & Old Town a few times and it's a great place to visit. Took my daughter to Old Town's dia de los muertos last Oct/Nov and we had a blast.

Unfortunately, I'm heading to NorCal on Aug 23rd for 2 weeks and I won't even be close to SoCal... bummer!

August 9th works for me.
Might I also suggest our favorite San Diego Hotel, the Bay Club Hotel on Shelter Island. Beach across the street. Great breakfast buffet. Not as cheap as hotel row, but quite reasonable for the quality.
https://www.bayclubhotel.com/
I would probably do Fri/Sat/Sun.

1) Four votes for August 9th: Brian, Melanie, Miss Donna and BeemerDonS.

2) "Back Road Bob, what was the name of the Hotel that is right across the street from the Del Coronado? I thought I had saved it to my Bikes Folder, but I could not locate it this morning!"

I'm voting for Coronado Island next to Hotel Del, great bodysurfing beach! Papa Chuy Viejo is bringing his Churchill boogie board fins to catch some waves!

Black-Gold-Fins__05135_zoom.png

If you end up moving the weekend due to hotel availability, I would go, but I can't go 8/9. SD is awesome. A visit to the Gas Lamp district is a must as well.

Gerard, please let me check my work schedule. Great News, I could go on any of the 1st 4 weekends in August to San Diego! Do you know if they're hotels, or B & B's, in the Gas Lamp district that's good for us? We could bring along our cables to lock our bikes together for security, if we're forced to park out on the street! https://www.gaslamp.org

Miss Donna and Papa Chuy Viejo are now booked at The Dana On Mission Bay for Saturday night August 16. The total fees through www.hotels.com was $224.44 and the hotel charges a $14 "guest services" fee at check in with a total for the two of us of $238.44, I hate the way that Hotels are copying the Airlines with these exorbitant and ripoff "add on fees". Bastards! However, there is free cancellation if done by August 14 if anyone has a change of plans. jes' sayin' and nuff said!

The Dana is perfectly located with an equal distance to Point Loma, Gas Lamp Quarter and Coronado Island. It is so close to the Excursion Docks that Donna and I will take a taxi to board our Bay Cruise, this allows us to have a bottle (or three) of champagne while out on the water. So there it is, BOOK IT! COOL San Diego!

Scan141790000.jpg

BUMP! This San Diego Ride is still a GO for the Southwest FJR Forum, half the group is riding over on Friday, August 15 and staying for two nights; with the other half of the group riding over Saturday, August 16 and staying for two nights also. We're all staying at The Dana - Mission Bay! https://www.thedana.com

So, Don, does this mean that you are back to just Sat/Sun ?

Donna and I are still booked at The Dana for Saturday night 8/16, but we may stay Sunday night at the Glorietta Bay Inn which was highly recommended by Back Road Bob and Mary Little! We called in to our Employers and our Bosses said go ahead and take Monday off, actually Donna called me and I called Donna: We then both said OK!

https://www.gloriettabayinn.com'>Coronado Boutique Hotel | San Diego CA | Glorietta Bay Inn.

So, Don, does this mean that you are back to just Sat/Sun ?

Donna and I are still booked at The Dana for Saturday night 8/16, but we may stay Sunday night at the Glorietta Bay Inn which was highly recommended by Bob and Mary Little! We called in to our Employers and our Bosses said go ahead and take Monday off, actually Donna called me and I called Donna: We then both said OK!
https://www.gloriettabayinn.com

Brian and Melanie, Donna and I are now booked at The Glorietta Bay Inn for Sunday night August 17. Booked directly through their website, rate with AARP Discount for Deluxe Queen with Patio was a total of $247.67; parking is $10 extra, maybe they'll let us put the two BMW K1600's in the same parking spot!

Brian and Melanie, our BMW Friend John "johnny80s" Max invited us over to a BBQ at his home in Fallbrook. He bought Enrique's old R1200GS from him, unlike Henry: JM actually rides that GS offroad in the dirt now! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

2 hrs · Edited · Like

John Max: Why don't you two stop by my house and we can have a BBQ? Any other less than desirables want to come over?
54 mins · Like

Don Stanley: John Max - We will call you when we arrive at The Dana, Brian and Melanie are riding over/back to/from Phoenix with us. JSNS!
Just now · Edited · Like

Two hour cruise of magnificent San Diego Bay with Hornblower Cruises: BeemerDonS, Donna, Melanie and Brian Boles. When we sailed past Chula Vista the Captain pointed out the palatial mansion of "Jorstin" Steven Kerns

Scan142500000.jpg