New riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
So, my wife and daughter have decided to get their motorcycle license with lessons through a local trainer. I've shown them the basics of clutch, throttle, and brakes on my bike while on the center stand. My wife is sorta freaking out about it, while my daughter (18) is really eager to learn. They decided to do this together, as they are really best friends.

My wife wants to get a Can-Am Spyder, so that's her reasoning. My daughter, I have no idea why she wants to do this. Anyway, I'm finding I'm feeling a bit nervous about them doing this. It's one thing to ride your bikes, but another to have them wanting to ride one. I'm thinking of all the things I'll need to teach them, like how to look for others while on a bike, that they wouldn't look for in a car. There is so much to learn, that we take for granted. Didn't realize that 'til now.

So wish me luck, as I help a 58 & 18 year old learn the most rewarding thing they could ever imagine.

Bring on the gray hairs. :)

MSF courses, or the equivalent, are brilliant for absolute beginners. Get recommendations, but a good instructor, who is not you :) is worth their weight in gold.

In some areas they hold "Women Only" courses. Many women find these events much more relaxing as they are freed from all the testosterone and bravado.

Good Luck!

I did the teaching thing to my wife after buying her a 650 Suzuki Savage. Didn't work out so well, she did great in an abandened parking lot,large figure 8s,gear changes,etc. HARPED on getting used to do both wheel braking on asphalt,even when not needed,rear only down our short gravel driveway. Short story, she grabbed a fistfull of front brake,and down she goes. Slight abrasion on her ankle and says, I'm riding behind you from now on. I have one Daughter who has been riding a long time,very proficient, and another with 3 small children that wants Moms bike. Se says she's missing out.The major thing I worry about(after taking MSF course) is she lives in Myrtle Beach where it seems to be a sin to stop at a long yellow or short red light, texting while caging etc. I'm still hesitant to give it to her,as she is primary breadwinner etc,etc.

I know what you're feeling - a number of years ago, my oldest daughter decided she wanted to get her license and took the MSF course. I admit I was relieved when she didn't pass and decided not to pursue it further (she would have ridden with and been influenced by the non-ATGATT crowd).

When someone asks me about learning to ride, I advise them to take the MSF course; it's useful for learning the basic operation of a motorcycle. When they get on the road, I advise them to ride with a mature, experienced rider for the first few thousand miles (with a good bike to bike communications system) to acquire the mentality they will need to survive.

My wife and daughter decided they wanted to ride about 4 years ago. I bought a Honda xr80 and taught them them the basics in a quiet area at a local park over the course of a month. My daughter decided it wasn't for her which was a huge relief, and my wife went on to take the training course. After completing the course and passing she decided she is more comfortable riding with me instead of having her own bike. This is perfectly fine with me as I would rather her be 110% comfortable with it if she was going to take to the streets. I do think she now has a better appreciation for what goes on up front when we ride together and makes for a better passenger. Had the xr80 for about 4 months, sold it for what I paid for it, and I sure had fun with that little thing while it was around. Little dirt bikes like that have come a long way since I was a kid.

It was hard, but I realized very many years ago, that you can't live your kid's, or wife's, lives for them. They will do things you don't like, much less approve of, but all you can do is bring them up, or support them with making the smart decisions you hope they will make. They will not always do that, nor will they always agree with what you do!

If my daughters want to ride motorcycles, it will terrify me. I will worry about them every second they are out, because I am a Dad, and that is my job. I will also make sure they are as proficient as possible, that they wear ATGATT, and that their bikes are fit for the road.

It's your fault they want to ride. You introduced them to motorcycles so let's not be surprised that you showed them a freedom they can enjoy, and they want to be a part of it. :D

My wife took the MSF course and passed it almost 20 years ago. She's been riding her own bike ever since. I think the course should be required for all new riders.

One caveat about the course, at least here in PA, riders who complete it now have a license and know how to operate a motorcycle but still don't have any real street experience. After she passed the course, I had 2 bikes and let her ride one while we went out and spent a lot of time riding back roads to get her some real world experience.

I've always been of the opinion that learning to ride on a street bike is pretty risky. Having the luxury of living where there's more off road riding than on, around here anyway i would always encourage a first time rider to get a small, light dirtbike. Once the basic skills of starting, stopping, braking are all down, then move to the street where big moving metal objects sometimes try to kill you....

I've always been of the opinion that learning to ride on a street bike is pretty risky. Having the luxury of living where there's more off road riding than on, around here anyway i would always encourage a first time rider to get a small, light dirtbike. Once the basic skills of starting, stopping, braking are all down, then move to the street where big moving metal objects sometimes try to kill you....
+1000 Much cheaper to have them learn on a easy bike. Then if they decide it's not for them you saved big bucks, I have often heard and believe the best ways to improve you riding skills is to ride a dirt bike.

UPDATE:

So they did their MSF learners course. Wifey loved it! She wants to get a Can-Am Spyder and go riding! Fine, I'm good with that. My daughter, on the other hand, is now in love with motorcycles! She tells me she is having dreams of riding a bike. She now wants one...BADLY!

I'm scared shitless of this prospect. She starts college next month, and says she'll get a job too to pay for it. I don't want her to work really, just to concentrate on college studies. She's already looked up insurance on a bike. She's a smart girl, AP classes with a 4.32 gpa. No trouble, with good, solid common sense. A blessing of a daughter! However, I'm scared. The thought of her on a bike, riding in Florida traffic, has me petrified. I know I should let go of the girl, and say hello to the young woman, but it isn't easy. I've told her, if she gets one, that for 6 months she can only ride with me along side her...no exceptions. This way, I can train her to be a good rider, that looks for every scenario. She's agreed.

So today we, along with my wife, looked at bikes. She sat on a 2014 Suzuki 250 and a 2013 300 Ninja. The Ninja was used, and lowered. She fell in love! I feel responsible. I'm the only bike rider anywhere in our combined families. So this passion of hers, was planted by my own passion. Thus, my concern. If anything were to happen to her...I would feel responsible and devastated.

I know, I know, I have to let go. It's just not easy to do.

Here she is on her new found love, hoping Daddy will say yes.

Ah, yes. The dark secret of motorcycling. When one's offspring dares to do what you do and you have to face the fact that what we do is foolishly dangerous.

My son rode for quite awhile but sold his bike and is no longer riding - for now.

My wife used to ride but lost her confidence. We sold her Suzuki Savage (which I rode more than she did - fun bike for local jaunts).

I sleep better
lazy.gif

Letting go is hard to do, even if they are 30 somethings.

Second daughter announced she was going to start a few years ago it was a worry.

After the MSF course, she bought her bike (Ninja 500R ) and we purchased AGATT with the bike. Then she spent the summer riding with me or her Hubby or both, most of the concern vanished.

I will say looking back on that summer, that time is one of the most enjoyable times I have every spent on a motorcycle.

ATGATT is a must. She sees me riding that way in Florida summers, so she knows how serious I am about it.

One part of me hopes she'll get it out of her system, and another likes the idea of sharing time together riding bikes. Airboss, I can totally see how memorable it would be to spend time together this way.

If, and when, there is any change, I will be sure to update. Thanks everyone!

Just got back from a 1680 mi ride with our Daughter, down the BRP to Ashville,stayed in Maggie Valley rode the Dragon 2 times. After seeing how well she handled her softtail and her friend her Ultra trike,we rode the Back of the Dragon and he Snake (16))all the way home St Marys WVa. I think I convinced them that proper rain gear is a must while touring, as the designer Harley boots were spraying waer on each step. We didn't make it 5 mi. from home before a trip to the Harley shop was called for, to get a full face helmet to replace Betsys friends beanie as her face was being stung pretty good by the big droplets. It was a majical time to spend with my daughter,doing what we both love. For you Northerners heading down for the ride-in you could do worse than rts 16,421,and BRP to Maggie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive found that having a communication system is VERY nice to have when teaching a new rider. giving them a heads up for potenial dangers in real time...priceless!

This is the best advice a new rider can get!