ButtLite 7 blog

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
https://buttlite7.blogspot.com/

For someone who has never done more than a 24 hr rally, this to me is a HUGE ride. I am both looking forward to it about as much as I am nervous. What the h*@! have I signed myself up for? But I love to ride endless hours and enjoy seeing parts of the country I wouldn't see otherwise. Rallys in general are really quite an amazing event.

So with permission from a Higher Being, I post this link in the event so that others might want to follow the insanity as it unfolds.

So what do I hope to accomplish riding this rally?

1) To have an awesome ride and be a finisher. Honestly, with all the really good and experienced riders entered, that is a realistic goal. I think

2) If I am going to reach for the stars, then I hope to nail down a top 10 finish. Let me emphasize....."reaching for the stars". But what the heck, it's a carrot worth reaching for.

3) Fuggitaboutit! Only if every other rider were a recent graduate of a MSF course. But when I look at who will be riding, it's just awesome to be a part of it.

So for those of you here who will be participating, have a great trip out to the Midwest. C'ya when you get out here.

Mike M

The Butt Lite is an awesome ride ... Just get yourself to the finish, safely, and you will be a hero!

Know your own limits ... Set achievable goals for yourself in terms of time and distance. Make a plan that is "conservative", but has options to add in, or remove locations as the ride progresses.

The general rule is a simple one ... Whatever plan you make, it is you against the Rally Book, not you against the other riders. If your plan is better than theirs, then you will win if you ride it. If not, you will come in behind, but that doesn't actually matter. If you feel you gave your best, then you won your own event ... if you don't, work out where it went wrong and it won't go wrong like that next time.

Prepare. The bike, the farkles, all of the equipment you take and use has to be so familiar you could use it in the dark, because you very well might have to.

Above all ... Do not forget to enjoy yourself. A rally, at its core, is nothing more than a motorcycle ride, and you are, I presume, very experienced at that. Never forget that all you are doing is riding your bike from A to B to C, etc.

I have won rallies, and placed very well on what was generally regarded as the "ugliest bike in the Universe, almost" ... so ugly that my wife called it the "baby-shit brown mobile".

You'll be fine :)

I have won rallies, and placed very well on what was generally regarded as the "ugliest bike in the Universe, almost" ...

She obviously hasn't seen Iggy's FJR :)

He He He!!!

Have a great ride Mike!!

We'll be watching.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell if that is "mean" or "awesome".

Love the thinking though.

Interesting start to this rally. 2 large convoys (1 south on I-35/ 1 south west on 60 and 6 true western riders) I am wondering if the western riders have chosen

the "All or nothing route"?

I think I counted at least 7 FJRs at the start (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know more. Is there anyway to find out where the checkpoints are? It would be fun to see them arrive or leave.

Definitely looks like the rally pack(s) had some choices of decent routes.

I want to know more. Is there anyway to find out where the checkpoints are? It would be fun to see them arrive or leave.
If you mean the bonus locations, no not until the leg is finished. Watch the Spot page and you can figure some of them out.

If you mean the bonus locations, no not until the leg is finished. Watch the Spot page and you can figure some of them out.
The checkpoint info has been made public now;

Checkpoint 1 is

Lone Star BMW in Austin TX

Checkpoint window is 6am to 8am Wednesday

This means that penalty points start at 0600 after 0800 no points for you!

graler you listening?? This is right in your back yard, we need a full report.