RotoPax

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkySoldier

Reaction score
All,

I'd like to mount several RotoPax fuel cans for a future ride where fuel may be scarce. However I haven't seen anyone with them mounted on their FJR. A search of the forum lists nothing related to the FJR; it's all dirt bike stuff. I'd like to query the forum for ideas on mounting locations. I was thinking I would mount them on the forward area of the hard bags because I almost never ride with passengers and that would be better than putting more weight on the weak tail end. I'm not planning any IBA rides and don't want the complexity or cost of an aux tank however I'm not ruling that out completely. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If mounting works out, I'd like to run with two 1.75 gallon cans and two 1 gallon cans; one of each on either side.

My setup includes a Shad SH50 top case, GIVI SR357 rear rack (Gerauld Modified) stiffy kit, and front and rear crash guards from MC Enterprises.

Respectfully,

I'm curious. Where on Earth are you going that you'll be

over 480 miles from a gas station?

If you do go ahead with this, I'd love to see your mounting method. There have been a few times where I felt confident I could make the next gas stop, although with +/- .5 gallons left. Figuring it would not be worth the anxiety, I always thought an extra gallon somewhere on the bike would be great comfort.

Good luck and post up any results.

Mark

That's a very good question. And I agree, having 4 gas cans might be overkill but my Army experience tells me to prepare for just about anything. I may pair the number down based on weight but ideally I'd like to have at least two 1.75 gallon cans. The weight hanging off the bike is the huge issue and since no one seems to have placed cans on their bike before I'm just going to have to experiment.

So anyways, I'm planning a fairly ambitious trip to Yellowknife, in the Northwest Territories next year. From what I hear it can get desolate up there. I got the idea from a family member who has ridden there several times with his GoldWing and some Goldwing friends. He is going again this summer so he will probably be able to recon the area and tell me some tips. If that old man can do it, so can I.

This year I spent the month of May heading to Montana and back from Delaware. Had a great time- my first solo LD ride. Learned a lot that I would like to apply on next years ride. I rolled slow and took my time-nothing like some of you LD heroes out there. You men and women are amazing.

And basically, the fuel issue was something my family member told me about that he almost experienced. Also, in Montana I came close to running out of gas on the Eastern side. If I roll with someone else on the trip, chances are good extra gas will come in handy for them also..

Plan now or pay later. Just my $.02

Mark,

I ordered just one 1.75 gallon can with mount this morning. I'll see what will work and post up some pics as soon as get it together in the next week or two. Hopefully it works where I want it to.

Parker

Why not modify the backrest and set them behind you on the seat? Or modify the seat and mount them horizontally where you would mount an aux tank. With either option, weight would not be an issue, and with the second, space would not be affected very much.

I've only seen a couple bikes with these mounted on, but the idea has to be pretty close to the same regardless. Good luck.

I would think first of all you should reconsider how much fuel you need. Regardless of your experience to be prepared, you're not likely going across the desert or South America, you may be going to Alaska. The only other reason to carry the 3.5 litres of fuel you're thinking about is to do Iron Butt so you don't have to stop for long or worry about the next fuel stop during the night. 99% of the time you will find fuel within your current tank. If you want to extend the range beyond the approx. 50 mile range of your reserve, just carry an MSR bottle of fuel. Look on the dual sporting forums and you'll see regular or heavier duty plastic cans mounted to the passenger footpegs to keep the weight down lower. There are others that are smaller (say 1 up to 2 litres) which are bracket mounted and look decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the passenger footpeg mounts. There are miakers of those out there that the names escape me. Usually 2-4 liters on each side.

I've got a 1.75g Rotopax on my trail bike. They are bigger than you think. About the only idea that would cleanly mount it on the FJR would be to piggy back it under your top box. But that's a lot of extra weight up high and loading your sub-frame (not an ideal situation on washboarded Canadian roads).

Why not modify the backrest and set them behind you on the seat? Or modify the seat and mount them horizontally where you would mount an aux tank. With either option, weight would not be an issue, and with the second, space would not be affected very much.
I've only seen a couple bikes with these mounted on, but the idea has to be pretty close to the same regardless. Good luck.
I agree. Thats my next option if I can't mount these cans forward of the side cases. However, that will require sending my SR357 back to Gerauld. I'm going to wait until I get the can in the mail and decide based on that. I'd like to carry this weight down low but that may be the required way to go.

Found a solution. Garauld was able to fabricate this shelf for me. What can I say about this guy that already hasn't been said? He does great work at a fair price! Good at communicating with you also. Anyways, the bracket can be easily removed to allow for 2 up riding. The "L" bracket is something Rotopax sells. The top case can still be opened although not entirely open. I wouldn't care about that because I rarely need anything from the top case when I am traveling. I also have the stiffy kit and the Givi rack. The rear seat can be easily removed and installed while this is attached also.

Thanks Gary!

Enjoy the holiday all...

5f4eeb8d6572dee48e9bdc3f81154a0f_zps7f84cd70.jpg

29630aaedcc5e9e4bf217d655a7720e7_zps8f79835c.jpg

9760a3b0709c2b3ad1172460438a2b02_zpsf71788bf.jpg

d381741ae787ba7374bb7f18d42dfd00_zps085df1d5.jpg

d3bf8205370a34baee8be53234ec5922_zps61c0d151.jpg

I have ridden in the Yukon a few times. Carrying extra gas is the right thing to do. We have encountered gas stations whose pump was broke, whose gas delivery did not show up, that were suddenly out of business or temporarily closed for a family emergency. In those situations you can very easily be looking at 400 miles between gas purchases. I have a 4 gallon aux tank. I also use it on cross country solo rides. It's amazing how fast you get used to having it and do not want to stop for gas every 250 miles.

Great Job Soldier..... !!!

Love the sticker on the top box..... Keep up the good work gettin those bad guys... !!!

Good to be prepared, ya never know what life is going to throw at ya.....

Pretty cool cool how someone with a fresh set of eyes can look at a situation and come up with a simple and practical solution. The beauty of forums such as this!! Great job!!
punk.gif

I'd make a mount for one on each side of your crash bars.
Panman,

I did consider that however after getting the rotopax can, it became obvious that wouldn't work too well. Primarily, I was concerned about the exhaust being so close and melting the can over an extended ride or a spill leading to a fire while fueling.

I may mount two of them horizontally in the same mount but that will require some thought over the (predicted) cold winter..

c9810f724f15668f7a0e042f68b44dc3_zps4adgvzo5.jpg

d120b75be3fc6fc5bfa2363ff9600c6c_zps537q9npd.jpg

Had to change it somewhat to accommodate a bag that will sit on top. Probably just going to roll with one can anyways. The fuel can mount actually adds a lot of strength and rigidity to the rear rack.

Last edited by a moderator: