NAFO4 Charity, Eddie's Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
Once again Eddie's Road will be our charity of choice, again because for the last few years at CFO we've been able to donate a substantial amount of money to Eddie's Road. Eddie James was a friend of mine and many many others, who was killed in a motorcycle accident December 2009. If you'd like to read what Eddie's friends said about him after his passing you can go here. Even after reading just a portion of these responses you can clearly see Eddie was a very special guy to a lot of people. Eddie had a troubled childhood but with help from some adults he was able to become an asset and a leader. My hope is that NAFO 4 will be able to make a large contribution to Eddie's Road and help break the cycle and help kids that have it tough for many reasons become better people.

What is Eddie's Road? From their web site...

Eddie’s Road is a program of The Eddie James Foundation for Children. Founded in memory of Eddie James the focus of our non-profit foundation is to stop the cycle of abuse through proper education, mentoring, counseling and activities that encourage children to reach their full potential without the influences of violence, addiction or neglect.

We work directly with national organizations and regional group homes to create programs directed specifically to coaching/mentoring children between the ages of 14-18 as they face the challenges of moving into adulthood and independence from the child welfare system.

The Facts About Child Abuse & Aging Out of Foster Care

The United States has the worst record of child abuse in industrialized nations. Child abuse and neglect affects 6 million children each year and more than 5 children die every day as result. Sadly, many more cases go unreported.

Survivors of child abuse typically enter the child welfare system and are placed in foster care or group homes until they can be placed back with their family or are adopted. Almost half a million children are in the United States foster care system. Approximately 30,000 children age out of the system annually. This underserved youth population dramatically increases each year.

Many who age out of foster care at 18 or older entered the system as teenagers. As they prepare to transition to independent living, they need support and services that foster the skills necessary to enter adulthood successfully. Studies of youth who leave foster care without a safe, permanent support system reveal consistently negative outcomes.

An estimated 25 percent do not have a high school diploma or GED.
Less than 2 percent will finish college compared with 23 percent of youth in the general population.
Over half will experience one or more episodes of homelessness.
Nearly 30 percent are incarcerated at some point.
Youth who aged out of foster care were less likely to be employed or to have health insurance than were their peers who had not been in foster care.

Eddie’s Road strives to alter these negative statistics. By supporting programs aimed at youth between the ages of 14-18 we can teach, mentor and coach at-risk children to lead independent, fulfilling and productive lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've already had an inquire on just how we raise the money that goes to Eddie's Road. Do you make a donation through he web site, is there a secret code to enter so the money gets earmarked as coming from NAFO? No it's much easier and much better. First off we've got a "Karma Bank" somewhere near registration where you can make cash donations that will help protect you from mishaps like off course excursions into the corn fields
blink.png
But the bulk of the monies we donate come from a raffle at the Saturday evening banquet where for $5 per ticket or 5 for $20 you can be the very first person to choose from all the possible door prizes on the swag table. So if you've got your eye and a special door prize and don't want to leave it to chance buy a bunch of tickets
good.gif
After the raffle everyone's name goes in the pot and we draw for all the rest, no raffle ticket needed.

Last year with just 46 people at CFO we raised a bit over $1,100
punk.gif
So I expect big things from you people
big_boss.gif

I can't remember did u have to be there to win. Glad to see u did well on the fund raiser, I was glad that my donated gifts when for a good cause.

Yup, winner must be present.

BTW, Hollywoodgt not only contributed swag for the swag table he stood out as someone who opened their wallet and dug deep for Eddies Road and Branden last year at CFO :good:

Last edited by a moderator: