Front Tire - New PR 4 - Starting to cup after only 1,200 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
My new PR-4 is showing signs of cupping severe enough to cause a little head shake under decel.

Anyone ever tried to get a dealer or Michelin to replace one?

My intention is to contact the dealer I bought the tires from, who has two other stores closer to Whidbey Island, where we are tonight, to see if they will warranty this tire, hopefully either in Long view or Vancouver..

Festar's Pirelli Angel, has been over the same roads at even greater speeds and shows little wear and no cupping.

Thanks fellas, any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with getting any joy from the dealer or manufacturer. I've had success reducing cupping by running higher pressure up front. (40 PSI). Keep us posted on how it goes with the dealer. It will be interesting to learn what they say is the cause and the remedy. Could it be that the cupping is due to you over riding the bike while trying to keep up with Fester ?

Good luck with getting any joy from the dealer or manufacturer. I've had success reducing cupping by running higher pressure up front. (40 PSI). Keep us posted on how it goes with the dealer. It will be interesting to learn what they say is the cause and the remedy. Could it be that the cupping is due to you over riding the bike while trying to keep up with Fester ?
Yeah, I was gonna ask what John's air pressure is on the front?

At SVC Manager's suggestion front tire is 40#, rear at 41#.

I certainly have been riding harder, but Festar doesn't think overly hard.

Have not been using the front brake much if at all when entering the corners, usually in 2nd and/or 3rd gear using motor for braking then accelerating hard through the corner.

Rear tire looks good not much wear, 1/2 inch "safety strips".

42 /42 is a favorite by the LD boys, may be worth a try.

John, if you can't get satisfaction by Wed. I have a new PR2 in the garage as a back up plan for when you are down here.

Send me a PM if you are going to need it.

Doug

I ride solo with approx. 30 lbs spread between my saddle bags. I've been running 44psi up front with my PR4 and have noticed the beginning of some scalloping after 2500 miles. Those sipes cut that surface into many small blocks that have leading and trailing edges. There will be uneven wear on the things, so bump up your pressure into this range to minimize the wear pattern. Next tire, I'm going back to the PR2, that's the best one I had on both my FJRs.

I had a PR3 a few tires back that had the same wear pattern too. Both tires sound noisy, reminds me of a off road truck tire on the highway - though not nearly as loud.

I've had 2 Pirelli Angels on the front of my bike, one right after the other. The first one ran well, got me around 14k, the other one wore out quicker, at around 11k. Makes me think their build quality varies a bit.

I used to run Avon Storms on my first FJR, but never could get consistent tire life from the things. I even had a warranty tire because the front tire hit cords from major scalloping at 7k. I had the same issues with the Avon Venoms on my '90 Yamaha Venture. A couple tires were fantastic, others were junk, One tire even blistered in the middle of the tread area. I'm don't plan on going back to Avon.

Good luck.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Tires seem to be a strange world, I have a tad over 2800miles on my pr 3s (not the Bs), run 38psi front and 42psi rear. Just completed a few days (1672.2 miles) trip in Canada and Montana, thought I played a bit but evidently not as much as some others as my tires are fine. I travel single up and moderately loaded. I was looking forward to the 4s, now I am not so sure.

SoCalFJR1300

43~44psi feels good to me. I make up for it though, the back tire runs at 30~31.

James W

You're right, tires are a strange world. I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone NEPRT yet.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

PR 3's are getting replaced tomorrow with PR 2's. Got about 8k on 'em, and they look good for another 2-3k. Big trip next week, just don't want to chance needing fresh shoes midway through. Not too sad though, never felt the love for the 3's.

Got a notice from the Motorcycle Superstore that the PR2 180/55B-17 is no longer available. I have two PR2 fronts on my shelf and was planning on going back to the PR2s from the PR3s. Now I'll either need to go with the non-B model PR2 or the PR4GT.

Got a notice from the Motorcycle Superstore that the PR2 180/55B-17 is no longer available. I have two PR2 fronts on my shelf and was planning on going back to the PR2s from the PR3s. Now I'll either need to go with the non-B model PR2 or the PR4GT.
I ordered my PR2's from Jake Wilson a few weeks back, I suspect the 2's won't be around much longer

2nd the Jake Wilson, I just landed 2 sets of 190/55's @ $159ea shipped. I run 42/44.

I have heard the PR4 story like this on my other forums. It's not a new thing.

So riding style is also to be considered. Your buddy may brake hard(er) going into a tight turn vs. you braking more during the turn. This doesn't sound like much but it does stress the fronts a lot more. So ride technique should also get thrown into the equation maybe?.

42 /42 is a favorite by the LD boys, may be worth a try.

John, if you can't get satisfaction by Wed. I have a new PR2 in the garage as a back up plan for when you are down here.

Send me a PM if you are going to need it.

Doug
Thanks Doug, I'll let you know, who knows may need both front and rear by then, a lot of coastal twistiest between here and there :)

The 180/55-17 ZR PR2 seems to be available everywhere. It is the 180/55-17B that is out of stock and no longer available. The B is specifically designed for sport tourers running with loads or two-up. Anyone been using the ZR model on their FJR, and if so what was your experience with it.

I suspect Bugnatr is correct and all the PR2s will go the way of the dinosaur soon.