Waterproof Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are some riders here with some knowledge on waterproof bags. I will be riding 2-up more often and I am looking for a waterproof bag to strap

down on top of the GIVI rack. The purpose intended would be to hold a purse and other quick access items. Ortlieb is under consideration, but I am sure there

is a better solution. The bag must be completely waterproof.

… Just when you get your cycle farkled perfectly for yourself - you decide you want to ride 2-up.
headsetsmiley.png
headsetsmiley.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the Seattle Sports roll top duffel with great success. Been through frog stranglers without a drop getting in the bag which was strapped to the pillion seat. I don't have experience with the smaller bags, but I would think they work just as well. Looks like their small bag is what you're looking for to fit the GIVI rack. https://www.sierratradingpost.com/seattle-sports-waterproof-dry-bag-large~p~2580c/

Tony,

Have a lot of two up experience. If you already have a Givi rear rack, just pick up a Givi trunk, these are the most convenient waterproof storage for mi lady's junk and will also provide her a backrest. Compared to a good trunk any soft bag solution is a PITA.

So, you are trading the fuel cell for your wife on the rear seat? Sounds like a reasonable trade and I hope she enjoys riding with you!

Tony, Have a lot of two up experience. If you already have a Givi rear rack, just pick up a Givi trunk, these are the most convenient waterproof storage for mi lady's junk and will also provide her a backrest. Compared to a good trunk any soft bag solution is a PITA.
Oh Fred if you only knew my wife's packing habits… I mean just how many pairs of shoes can one wear on a weekend get away?

I have a trunk with the rack on it, just looking for a bag to give quick access to high use items without opening the trunk.

Oh, no fuel cell reduction on the '05, the '08 will be my 2-up bike. All I have left to farkle this one is to electrify the trunk and ram drink holders.
rolleyes.gif

Different bike for a totally different style of riding… now if I can retrain myself to flower sniffing (?)

Tony, Have a lot of two up experience. If you already have a Givi rear rack, just pick up a Givi trunk, these are the most convenient waterproof storage for mi lady's junk and will also provide her a backrest. Compared to a good trunk any soft bag solution is a PITA.
Oh Fred if you only knew my wife's packing habits… I mean just how many pairs of shoes can one wear on a weekend get away?

I have a trunk with the rack on it, just looking for a bag to give quick access to high use items without opening the trunk.

Oh, no fuel cell reduction on the '05, the '08 will be my 2-up bike. All I have left to farkle this one is to electrify the trunk and ram drink holders.
rolleyes.gif

Different bike for a totally different style of riding… now if I can retrain myself to flower sniffing (?)
Oh, you got the '08 all serviced and ready for the road! That's great! As for the drink holders...
no.gif

Allen, I still need to service the suspension and that picture is not current. The bike has been "Clearwaterized" (Lights) and many other unseen farkles.

the cup holders are a requirement - not an option.
weirdsmiley.gif

Oh and now this bike has a name!

And the EOM looks like its first out of state ride.

Considering this now too:

Storm Case iM2100 - PelicanCases.com

Sometimes the simple solution is best. So many brand names mentioned here, and I'm sure any of them would do, but if all you need is a good dry bag to strap down on top, seriously--go to WalMart. They have a variety of sizes of completely waterproof roll-up style soft bags in the camping department that are far cheaper and no less sturdy than anything I've seen on this thread. Why pay the BMW/REI/Ortleib premium?

+1 - on Walmart dry bags. They are actually pretty nice

I would be a little concerned about putting too much stuff up that high, but I do realize that it takes a while for pillions to learn that they do not need to pack so much junk in the trunk to be comfortable and happy. My wife gets her own side bag and we share the space in the trunk for rain gear and gloves, snacks, water, etc. if she can't find space for it in her side bag, it doesn't go.

+1 - on Walmart dry bags. They are actually pretty nice I would be a little concerned about putting too much stuff up that high, but I do realize that it takes a while for pillions to learn that they do not need to pack so much junk in the trunk to be comfortable and happy. My wife gets her own side bag and we share the space in the trunk for rain gear and gloves, snacks, water, etc. if she can't find space for it in her side bag, it doesn't go.
I'm with Fred on this. Regarding sharing space, when I handed my wife an empty side case liner to pack for our 2 week Canada trip telling her she can take anything that will fit in that and then pointed out my side also carried tools, tire repair kit, etc.. she felt like she was being pampered. Try a short two night trip and she'll see that a lot of that extra "stuff" is just that, extra.

rolleyes.gif

Careful there. That way leads to madness (and to cracked trunks, racks, and subframes. If it can't fit in the bags (within the weight limits of each) then don't take it. If it can't be left behind and can't fit within the constraints of the design, take a car. It seems harsh, but there's a reason.