Stuff to do to stock '09--windshield, rack or trunk, tank bra/bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhidorahX

Reaction score
Folks:

As per my intro, just stepped into an 09er after 22 years on my 86 Concours . . . . The FJR is mostly for riding two-up, and I've put about 600 miles on it, basically it's box stock. Yesterday I took a run on the Concours which has the Rifle 2 inch + screen . . . & comparatively it is much, much quieter than the FJR's stock screen. I had tried out a number of screens before the Rifle . . . and, nothing perfect in motorcycles or motorcycle stuff . . . it's pretty much the happy compromise.

So, I'll probably go with the Rifle for the FJR, but, have a question about how the larger screen does in crosswind . . . as the SoCal area is subject to wind as the main bug a boo to deal with . . . rather than rain. Friday out riding on a local freeway in Ventura County there was perhaps 40-50 mph crosswinds that were moving the FJR around more than I liked . . . although better than the Concours would have been . . . . My question is whether than stock +4" width would better be made a "custom" +2 . . . or +3??? Haven't gotten a level out to measure where the stock height hits me . . . I'm thinking upper chest/neck . . . it's too low for riding at speed . . . gets my head bobbling, and after being rear-ended a few years ago my neck doesn't have much of a sense of humor . . . thinking about +3 on height . . . . I usually do everything on a shoe-string, so going with the closest, off the rack is what I do; unless someone can offer some local advice on Rifle's behavior in the wacky winds of SoCal??? Would it be worth paying the extra dough for 3+ X 3+?? Or just go with 3+ stock item??? I'm 5'11" . . . 32" inseam . . . reach? about 33"???

Other topic is rack v trunk . . . I've had the OEM rack/backrest on the Concours, and that's been OK; seeing that Yammie doesn't offer a rack, their trunk looks a little small for two-up travel??? I've got a medium Ortlieb dry bag that we can fill with our "necessities" . . . . I've seen the recommends for Gaurald's??? racks or someone said he would modify a GIVI rack . . . nobody seems to think that the FJR sub-frame back there can carry any weight???? Somewhat an area of disappointment for a Sport-Tour bike to not have a rack worthy of it's name . . . . But, just wondering if there is a "best bang for the buck" way to go . . . generally thinking that trunk would just be adding more surface area for crosswind attacks . . . but, if it's cheaper to just slide a GIVI onto whatever is there; would appreciate any sage wisdom on the topic . . . .

And, lastly, somewhere here on the forum I saw a photo of an FJR with a full tank bra with tank bag clips included . . . that looked pretty good, but, no name was on it, couldn't tell if that was a Yamaha OEM product, or who would possibly make it . . . it was white . . . which, on a black motorcycle might not be my choice . . . but, if anyone could point me toward a source for that type of tank bra with bag mounts would be great . . . . Looking thru the Yamaha web site doesn't show too much stuff for the FJR?? There are a few more questions about the bike, but these are the areas that need quick change to be ready for longer trips . . . thanks for any insights/directions, etc.

GX

Windshields seem to be one of those personal choice items. Got a CB 'flip' in pale grey on my '11. iirc, it's slightly wider than stock, and not much higher, but the flip does a great job of turbulence reduction. I ride mostly with the screen down, putting it up only for rain or excessive bugs.

One thing to please note: Whatever you decide, make sure you do NOT over-tighten those plastic windshield screws. If they are weakened, the shield can come flying off, probably at an inopportune moment.

The stock Yama-trunk is reported to be small. I opted for a Garauld custom rack/stiffener kit. It'll carry my Pelican cases safely and securely.

Can't help ya with the bra, bro!

Cheers

Definitely consider a Cee Bailey shield in addition to the Rifle. I use two CB shields for the seasons...+2/+2 for summer and a +4/+3 for winter [in the PNW] both with reverse contour or flip.

The tank cover you're referring to is most likely a Bagster.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen:

Thanks to both of you for your posts, much appreciated. I have seen that Cee Bailey is an option . . . usually giving myself less choices is better, but, for the sake of pricing, perhaps I should look. But, my own experience with the flip or reverse contour shields on the Concours seemed to work OK for one up, but seemed to increase the "magnetic" attraction to the passenger's head at speed . . . whereas the Rifle cut that problem out. Had similar head buffeting with the passenger on the FJR this weekend with the stocker . . . .

I also will be looking for headlight protectors at some point, which I know CB also does . . . first I need to get more wind protection going . . . riding most of the year here I just keep one screen for everything; with the ability to raise and lower the screen now should cover the range of weather here.

@escape: Yes, that Bagster item does look like what I was referring to . . . went to the web site, wow, saw the prices . . . figures that it would not be cheap item . . . I've got the habit for champagne taste with the beer budget . . . . Might have to settle for something cheaper in a tank cover . . . the Bagster cover seems to be as much as a tank bag????

GX

If you are lucky enough to have received the extra lock that comes with the FJR when new, the nice thing about the factory top box is to have a single key (the ignition key) to open all three cases.

If you are lucky enough to have received the extra lock that comes with the FJR when new, the nice thing about the factory top box is to have a single key (the ignition key) to open all three cases.
@Spud:

Thanks for the thoughts . . . the PO seemed to give me everything that he had for the bike, but don't recall an extra lock . . . . Which does get back to the choices of rack and the subframe issues . . . like I said, "Beer budget" . . . kept waking up last night thinking about time frame vis getting these items as quickly as possible. I read thru one of the Garauld frame stiffener threads . . . where it was mentioned that he could modify a GIVI rack . . . and that might make sense in terms of being able to later add a box to it, or not. But, since in my older years I've developed the "If it ain't broke . . ." attitude, doesn't the what SR357??? rack have something that stiffens it up?? Question would be whether to just cut to the front of the line and start with installing that rack as is, and then, if and when it breaks . . . bring in the TIGmeister??? to do the modifications? I don't carry super heavy loads up top when we travel . . . just clothes, etc . . .

Gx

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with tank bags or after market screens, but I bought a used PCA mounting rack and Givi box here on the forum and the setup works fine. Took a 900 mile round trip with no problems but was careful not to overload the box.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with tank bags or after market screens, but I bought a used PCA mounting rack and Givi box here on the forum and the setup works fine. Took a 900 mile round trip with no problems but was careful not to overload the box.
YY:

Thanks for the thoughts, appreciate that . . . . I've since initiated an email conversationi with Garauld . . . and will probably pull the trigger on a rack in a day or so . . . . Rack gives me a little more flexibility . . . lets me stack, whereas box only takes so much, and always the same profile to the wind . . . .

GX

The Garauld Givi 357 mount mod is fantastic. I can't imagine a more robust option for carrying real gear

The Garauld Givi 357 mount mod is fantastic. I can't imagine a more robust option for carrying real gear
Alrighty, thanks for that . . . are you talking about his modified GIVI supersized rack, or the subframe stiffener?

GX

The winds on the freeway through the Simi Valley just west of the Santa Susanna's will blow semi truck trailers over on their sides. I have been moved from the far left lane to the edge of the right shoulder a couple of times in various cars. I don't think it would be much fun on the FJR or any other motorcycle.

The winds on the freeway through the Simi Valley just west of the Santa Susanna's will blow semi truck trailers over on their sides. I have been moved from the far left lane to the edge of the right shoulder a couple of times in various cars. I don't think it would be much fun on the FJR or any other motorcycle.
@DennisJ:

Exactly . . . same on the 14 going to Mojave . . . same on the 5 running up through the Grapevine . . . . Which is kind of what my question about the windscreen(s) is about . . . working that fine line between keeping the head/neck stable at speed . . . versus, now I've got a huge sail that is making my life difficult . . . . The problem is compounded in those places where the wind is deflected off the rock cliffs . . . making the whole thing very unpredictable . . . .

My old riding mentor Ziggy Ziegler suggested keeping the screen about 1" below the eyes . . . trying to figure that out yesterday seems like the stock shield is level with my adam's apple??? It's too low . . . even it seems like the Rifle 5+ would still be a tad "low" . . . but, I was thinking about the 3+ . . . which would be lower than ZZ's suggestion . . . but might make the compromise in terms of the pucker factor?? in the SoCal winds . . . .

Don't have any extant FJR rider buddies here abouts to be able to see what they have on their bikes . . . like way back in the 90's with COG for the old 86er . . . where you could see what they brung, and then have the chance to follow them and see how it "runs" . . . .

Gx

With the caveat that everyone is different in what they like in a shield, let me throw my thoughts out there. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and hated the stock shield when it was raised due to turbulence. I bought a Cee Bailey reverse countour (flip) shield that's stock width and 2" taller. This shield maintains the sleek, good looks of the bike and most importantly greatly reduces buffeting when raised up. When it's hot in the summer, I like the ability to fully lower it and still get cooling air to my head and outer torso. This is my summer shield and I've used it over the past 87,000 miles I've put on my 07 except in winters.

For winter use I got a Vstream shield that's approximately 4" taller and 6" wider than stock. There's no flip like the Cee Bailey, but it's big and does a great job of blocking cold wind and rain for my winter riding. Although it's 2" taller than my CB shield, it offers about the same turbulence reduction if raised higher than the CB. Following some vehicles or sidewinds allow some buffeting with the CB that the Vstream handles better due to it's wider width. But the Vstream is too hot in summer because even all the way lowered, I don't get enough cooling airflow.

Good luck in your search. Perhaps there's someone in your area that will let you try out one of their shields? I've offered this to many local riders in an effort to save them money on the endless search for windshield nirvana.

With the caveat that everyone is different in what they like in a shield, let me throw my thoughts out there. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and hated the stock shield when it was raised due to turbulence. I bought a Cee Bailey reverse countour (flip) shield that's stock width and 2" taller. This shield maintains the sleek, good looks of the bike and most importantly greatly reduces buffeting when raised up. When it's hot in the summer, I like the ability to fully lower it and still get cooling air to my head and outer torso. This is my summer shield and I've used it over the past 87,000 miles I've put on my 07 except in winters.
For winter use I got a Vstream shield that's approximately 4" taller and 6" wider than stock. There's no flip like the Cee Bailey, but it's big and does a great job of blocking cold wind and rain for my winter riding. Although it's 2" taller than my CB shield, it offers about the same turbulence reduction if raised higher than the CB. Following some vehicles or sidewinds allow some buffeting with the CB that the Vstream handles better due to it's wider width. But the Vstream is too hot in summer because even all the way lowered, I don't get enough cooling airflow.

Good luck in your search. Perhaps there's someone in your area that will let you try out one of their shields? I've offered this to many local riders in an effort to save them money on the endless search for windshield nirvana.
@Harald:

Indeed, we each have our preferences, however, sometimes in the details of one person's experience something can be learned in the translation . . . like your mentioning that the wider screen seems to do better in crosswind for you . . . . But, you seem to be further north than I am, so it probably gets much colder; although much of my riding is along the coast of CA, southern, central, north of SF . . . and that can sometimes get quite cold, even in summer . . . . So it's generally hard to predict the weather or the needs from the screen . . . . It's like "3 season" all year round . . . .

But, thanks for showing the options that you use . . . I'm hoping to cut the "endless search for windshield nirvana" . . . down to "windshield satisfaction" . . . .

GX

Alrighty, thanks for that . . . are you talking about his modified GIVI supersized rack, or the subframe stiffener?

GX
go here

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154816-givi-357-gen23-rack-supersized-by-garauld/

i have model #0001. we've kicked this idea around for a few years. i sent him the stuff. he melted metal. good to go.

i know several guys running this now.

very sturdy and versatile

if you leave the GIVI mount portion intact, (which he can do as well) then you can mount a Givi box as well.

i just wanted to mount a waterproof duffel or pelican box but needed it to be strong.

this is that solution

SG:

Precerate the follow up, I did email G about this modified GIVI rack, indeed does look beefy . . . I'm thinking it's a tad overkill for my needs . . . . I want it lighter so that I don't overload the apparently weak and flimsy rear sub-frame . . . . If and whenever I have the time and/or money for some HD touring then I could go HD on it . . . . Probably just doing the "standard" model for now . . . already doing 2-up for the most part . . . .

GX

Gents, et al:

In the middle of the night I came to the realization that, by overcoming resistance to paying extra . . . I could have the "happy medium" on the Rifle windscreen option . . . the 3" would probably be "a little too low," the 5" might be the "right height" but would be perhaps "a little too large" in terms of square footage . . . but, the option for 4" height . . . could be "just right" . . . so it looks like the 4+/4+ . . . seems balanced somehow to me . . . . There's an extra charge, but, to get "what you want" . . . costs . . . . Probably pull the trigger on it in the next few days . . . then rack in a couple weeks after that . . . mini-road trip in October . . . .

GX

Guess I'll start with the windshield. I have two now, and next winter I'm probably going to miss the one I sold when I had three. That was the big V-stream--in fact, it's mounted in the pic below, which I posted to show the Bagster. The V-stream was the best "heavy weather" screen I've tried, protection-wise, but a forum guy traveling through had just lost his screen and one mirror in a sideswipe incident, so I let it go. I've had quite a few bikes, and the FJR behaves by far the best in any wind conditions that I've ever seen, even with the V-stream. Right now I've got the stock (which I almost never use, but it's for hot weather use only) and a California Scientific (Calsci) "large" size, I think. For me, he's local, and if you ever get up this way you can go in there and he'll mount a screen for you to test ride and see what you think, and he makes two or three for the FJR alone. I like mine a lot, and it's much quieter than stock. Take a look at his website. Give yourself some time, cuz it's very extensive, on a variety of subjects, far beyond the science of windshield aerodynamics, which it covers in depth. Mark has lots to say about a lot of subjects--interesting guy.

You may have seen a picture of my Bagster here--I've posted pics more than once where it's shown.

fec83db2-7ec2-40a3-9c5b-6dc76294120e_zps62721f80.jpg

They make colors to match most any FJR year, but I bought mine here on the forum from a guy with the "liquid silver" bike--what's that, an 08? I think it looks fine on my '05, since it matches the non-blue parts of the bike, more or less. It holds the bag perfectly securely, but the best benefit may be that the foam-lined vinyl tank cover insulates the heat of the gas tank (especially bad when gas level is low) from my legs. It also came with a second, and much larger bag. They can be used separately, or stacked and zippered together. That setup is fairly huge. I only took it on one trip. It was sort of in the way for slower maneuvering when you need to turn the bars. But I do like it a lot. You can watch for one to turn up used here. It's unusual, but they do sometimes.

p.s., so do windshields and luggage racks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had quite a few bikes, and the FJR behaves by far the best in any wind conditions that I've ever seen, even with the V-stream. Right now I've got the stock (which I almost never use, but it's for hot weather use only) and a California Scientific (Calsci) "large" size, I think. For me, he's local, and if you ever get up this way you can go in there and he'll mount a screen for you to test ride and see what you think, and he makes two or three for the FJR alone. I like mine a lot, and it's much quieter than stock. Take a look at his website. Give yourself some time, cuz it's very extensive, on a variety of subjects, far beyond the science of windshield aerodynamics, which it covers in depth. Mark has lots to say about a lot of subjects--interesting guy.
You may have seen a picture of my Bagster here--I've posted pics more than once where it's shown.

. It holds the bag perfectly securely, but the best benefit may be that the foam-lined vinyl tank cover insulates the heat of the gas tank (especially bad when gas level is low) from my legs. It also came with a second, and much larger bag.

p.s., so do windshields and luggage racks.
@SacramentoMike:

Thanks for the post . . . appreciate the thoughts on how the FJR handles the wind even with large screen . . . . I recently did ride two-up through some "moderate" crosswinds that did cause some buttclench issues . . . so possibly that was the difference? I can usually ride the Konk solo in much windier conditions than with the passenger . . . so with the FJR solo I probably wouldn't have to worry about it. Anyway, thanks for the CalSci comments . . . since I know the Rifle that I've had on the Konk I'm probably starting there . . . I worked my way through a number of screens before . . . pretty happy with the Rifle, it's held up well for many, many years.

But, thanks for the shot of the bagster . . . I believe that was the bike/bagster combo that I saw posted somewhere else here on the forums, that got me asking about it; yes, looks good . . . I want to get a tank cover . . . Bagster looks good, but seems a tad pricey . . . maybe I'll do it for my birthday next year or the year after . . . or wait until a black one shows up here, or what else goes with black? Blue?

Thanks for sharing . . . .

Gx