Backrest VS Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtlben

Reaction score
I was considering buying a passenger backrest for the FJR, until I realized that the cost of the backrests are in the same price range as a mid-size top case with mountings.

My practical side says that I should buy the topcase "just in case" I ever need it (currently I don't), but I was wondering about the confort for the passenger with the small pads used on the topcase.

Anyone has experience with a SHAD40 ? (any pics anyone ?)

I would not want a huge 50-55 liters topcase in the back, just to be used as a backrest. And yes, I am aware of the threads about sub-frame failiures and GIVI mountings.

...Ben...

We ride ATGATT and had a topcase with a back rest attached. My wife did not like that pad there since it pushed her forward more than she wanted. Our case now, Shad45, does not have the pad and she likes it much better. No problem with no padding on the case since her back pads in her jacket are enough!

We also tried Corbin seats with a back rest for her and she did not like it either for the sane reasons. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
We ride ATGATT and had a topcase with a back rest attached. My wife did not like that pad there since it pushed her forward more than she wanted. Our case now, Shad45, does not have the pad and she likes it much better. No problem with no padding on the case since her back pads in her jacket are enough!
We also tried Corbin seats with a back rest for her and she did not like it either for the sane reasons. YMMV
Allen_C:

I saw this pic of your setup in an other post:

https://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/ac031363/Dragon_med_zpsf3c860d6.jpg.

Are you using the standard SHAD mount, or is your SHAD plate mounted on a GIVI Bracket like some other forum members seem to do ?

...Ben...

Standard Shad bracket first 5k miles then added a Gerauld Stiffy bracket underneath the seat a couple months ago when we started our 2up trips.

Same here - no need for any pads if you have a top case and your passenger wears a padded jacket. "Need" is hard to define when it comes to luggage but I use my top case almost all the time and wouldn't go without it.

Also has been mentioned in other threads - but one thing to consider the bike feels a little unsettled with the top case on at freeway speed and only one up - so i tend to ride without it

I just took the pad off the case, i will see if that works better for the missus - we shall see

I bought the trunk primarily as a backrest for the wife and it works great for that. The side benefit is extra storage, which is important when the wife is along! I never leave the trunk on the bike unless I need to haul lots of stuff or the wife is along.

And ditto on the backpad. My factory back pad is gathering dust in the garage because it would push my wife too far forward and she is perfectly comfortable with the pad that's in her jacket.

To follow-up:

I ended up buying a Shad SH40 topcase, with their FJR-Specific mounting. I tought it would be useful without being oversized, and I do not like the looks of the Givi base adaptor plate.

I am very happy with the case and how sturdy the mounting is, except maybe for the key lock mechanism, which is very hard to get to lock properly.

Here are a few pics, if anyone is in the market for a medium size topcase.

...Ben...

i-4H9ffMG-M.jpg

i-VtXfRZm-M.jpg

Ben,

Be careful how much weight that you put into that top box. The Shad mounting plate is supported by the stock (read: plastic) luggage rack / passenger grab rails, which puts a lot of stress on the sub-frame underneath if you carry anything heavy. Remember, even before you put anything in it you have the weight of the box itself.

Though the Givi mounts may be butt-ugly when no top box is installed, the steel tube rack frame (replaces the stock plastic stuff) is a good support for the underlying cantilevered sub-frame. You may want to consider getting a Givi SR mount and then attaching your Shad mounting plate on that. Not sure if it is a direct fit or not, but I'm sure it could be done relatively easily.

Ben,
Be careful how much weight that you put into that top box. The Shad mounting plate is supported by the stock (read: plastic) luggage rack / passenger grab rails, which puts a lot of stress on the sub-frame underneath if you carry anything heavy. Remember, even before you put anything in it you have the weight of the box itself.

Though the Givi mounts may be butt-ugly when no top box is installed, the steel tube rack frame (replaces the stock plastic stuff) is a good support for the underlying cantilevered sub-frame. You may want to consider getting a Givi SR mount and then attaching your Shad mounting plate on that. Not sure if it is a direct fit or not, but I'm sure it could be done relatively easily.
Or, get Gerauld's Stifi bracket, what I did, to install under the tail plastics to help with the additional weight of the tail box without having an unsightly external bracket.

Ben,

Yep, my stock rack broke just from my passenger leaning back on my top case...as in using it like a back rest. There was nothing in the case. The subframe would have been next, but I caught it in time, got lucky. I immediately replaced it with the Givi SR357 rack. Not the prettiest, but WAY cheaper than replacing an expensive subframe.

A quality backrest is worth the dinero IMO, we ride only rarely w/top case(a $35 Sears if memory serves, works just fine...) but the PCA backrest remains on all the time, angled back perfectly for passenger support as well as very solidly mounted to the sport touring plate. The top box slips right on behind it very solid. Only negative(minor) is the lid won't swing fully open while mounted.If I need to get down into it, very simple to click the release and move it back a bit or off the bike for a minute and reattach. Also, If your passenger rides without a spine pad or jacket-less, the comfort is still there.YMMV.

Based on forum members feedback, I have already ordered (and received) the Gerauld's Stiffening bracket to prevent sub-frame cracking. I just did not have time to install it yet.

From a pure comfort standpoint, I am not too worried, as I very rarely ride 2up, and when it happens, it usually is for short rides.

...Ben...