Colorado Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal FJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am fairly new to this forum and I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so if it is the wrong place, sorry.

I am leaving in less than a week for a 12 day now 10 day ride. I am visiting friends in Colorado, but due to the loss of a couple of days I have to make some changes. I was planning on going to Rocky Mountain National Park and Pikes Peak, but I can now only go to one of them. Never been to either, which one do you like better and why?
Thanks for any help.

Rich

Pike's Peak.

The National Park has more to see and do, but if you go to Colorado and don't do Pike's Peak, then you will always feel you missed something important, and have to go back ....

So maybe the Park, then you will get two trips :D

I would recommend Rocky Mountain National Park over Pikes Peak. I just did Pikes Peak for the first time today. While it does provide some good views, there is do much traffic to deal with. RMNP is much more fun.

I ran Colorado last summer. Personally, I'd do RMNP (Trail Ridge is highest paved thru road in US) and also Mt. Evans (highest paved road in US). Both will have traffic, but probably not nearly as much as Pikes Peak. The bonus is that they really aren't too far from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have never been to Rocky Mountain NP, than that is the must do ride of the two. Much bigger and a lot more scenery and wildlife to take in.

If you have never been to Rocky Mountain NP, than that is the must do ride of the two. Much bigger and a lot more scenery and wildlife to take in.
I haven't been to CO yet but will be about two weeks after you'll be there and was given the same advice... and I'll be taking it! B)

I live in Denver and I would do RMNP and Mt Evans as Burnspot is suggesting. Mt Evans is far better and shorter ride than Pikes Peak and gets you just as high. I would go west to east on trailridge road also. Both can be done in one long day but why push so hard you can't enjoy it. If you need some company on your ride let me know and would be happy to show you around. Ride safe

I live in Denver and I would do RMNP and Mt Evans as Burnspot is suggesting. Mt Evans is far better and shorter ride than Pikes Peak and gets you just as high. I would go west to east on trailridge road also. Both can be done in one long day but why push so hard you can't enjoy it. If you need some company on your ride let me know and would be happy to show you around. Ride safe
+1, Gunny; Rich: bentnail is right on regarding Rocky Mountain National Park and particularly Mount Evans, Pikes Peak Road in the middle of summer is a traffic NIGHTMARE! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

Rocky Mountain National Park is an absolute must see, if you want to go to the top of Pikes Peak take the cog railway for more enjoyment! https://www.cograilway.com

Scenery from our climb up to Mt. Evans

Mountain goat up on Mt. Evans

View from top of Mt Evans

Elevation at the top

Russ of FJR Forum up on top of Mt Evans

David & Bob

Visitor center at top

Perched at 14000 feet

Bentnail summed it up. If you want to bag a 14'er, do Mt Evans and RMNP. RMNP is one of my regular rides, not just because it is closer to home but because of the scenery and good roads in the area.

I grew up in Grand Lake, Fraser, and Winter Park, so I'm just a bit biased, lol.

RMNP:

IMG_2503-L.jpg

IMG_2497-L.jpg

IMG_2494-L.jpg

Mt. Evans:

IMG_2712-L.jpg

IMG_2718-L.jpg

IMG_2719-L.jpg

IMG_2735-L.jpg

IMG_2756-L.jpg

Another vote for RMNP and Mt. Evans. I used to live in Clear Creek County and could hit all kinds of post-card scenery in a day. Of course, in nice weather I have that here, also
smile.png

Well the votes are in I will be going to RMNP. Thanks for the responses it made my decision easier. Burnspot and COF thanks for the pictures. Bentnail I will PM when I hit Colorado and see if we can meet up, thanks for the invite.

any where nice in CO in the summer has allot of traffic and construction, they only can pave a few months a year. I would do Pikes Peak if I were you, go early.

I struggled with this same decision and chose Pike's Peak. We were there early in the morning on a weekday and the traffic never affected us at all. I can say Pike's Peak was prettier than I thought it would be and that getting our pics in front of that sign was a true high point to our trip.

I personally think you cannot go wrong whatever decision you make. It is hard to find a road in that area that is not worth riding.

I have ridden both Pike's and Evans. They are both worth the time just to ride up the roads.

Of the two, the road up Pike's was more interesting than the one up Evans. As RH said, you need to get there early and ride up first thing in the morning. The view is spectacular but the air is thin so you won't stay very long at the top. I would not skip the ride up in favor of the cog railroad, though the railroad might be fun also if you have time for both.