Rust on gas tank mount bracket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silveryam

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
located on the underside of the front of the gas tank there is the mounting bracket integrated with the tank. I have noticed rust around its edges and on the tank surface beneath it. Has anyone had this problem?

If you are talking about the area around the 2 mounting bolts, yes I do have some very minor visible rust.

+1 on Extend. Best stuff ever in a spray can.

It does not cover up or hide the rust, but it stops rust cold.

Paint alone won't do that.
You two sickos talkin' about this???

Extenze-Review-Erection-Pills-for-Male-Enhancement.jpg

No, not that!

That's what LD Riders use to increase capacity!!

+1 on Extend. Best stuff ever in a spray can. It does not cover up or hide the rust, but it stops rust cold.

Paint alone won't do that.
You two sickos talkin' about this???

Extenze-Review-Erection-Pills-for-Male-Enhancement.jpg
Haven't need that yet. But when the day comes, are you endorsing the product?
wink.png

Don, I couldn't figure out how those two mooks got them little blue pills in a spray can. Couple of preverts, if ya ask me!

If I had rust on the tank mounts, I would remove the rust with Naval Jelly and then coat the affected area with clear lacquer. Apparently you who have rust are not keeping the bike dry after rain or washing. I have had three FJR's and none have had rust in that area or else where to my knowledge.

The mount bracket is the one physically attached to the underside of the tank on the front. Never heard of Extend, I will try it next time I have the tank off for service. Before I put it back on I taped off and coated the bracket with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I have had good luck with it in the past. I live in LaPorte Tx and the Gulf is a mile down the road so I'm sure that's a factor. I try very hard to take good care of the bike but it's a daily driver so it's exposed to the use/abuse that comes with it.

I love the bike and cain't stop riding!