Poll: How fast have you been on an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the fastest you have been on an FJR?

• 80mph

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 90mph

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100mph

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • 110mph

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • 120mph

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • 130mph

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • Over 140mph

Votes: 90 44.6%

• Total voters
OK I'll play the game. I believe it was 05 at Bonneville Salt flats. 03 FJR with no bags and a PC . 156 MPH, it was really 155.9 but 156 sounds sooo much faster.
smile.png

This should have been posted on Friday but maybe it will last until then or off to NEPRT

Last edited by a moderator:
My 08 will pull to 155 GPS with bags on and just sit there. I think my 04 would go a little faster but I never verified it with GPS.

Takes a long time to go from 145 to 155 so I only did it once or twice out in the country

How fast have you been on an FJR?
As fast as it will go -- on three different FJRs. Two had almost identical speeds and the other was over 20 mph slower. I'm pretty sure that pokey's problem was a maintenance issue. (None were Miss Lucy Liu, relax Don & Bgross.)

If we answer can it be used as evidence?
Hearsay evidence.

I've gotten 148 with cases, trunk, and firewood strapped to the back seat verified with my GPS and my radar detector with GPS on it as well. I had a little more room to go but I figured that I would slow down to wait on the Blackbird XX, 1050 Sprint, 1050 Tiger, and Multistada that I was riding with. This was on a closed off sanctioned track of coarse...
haha.gif

Top speeds are always fun, for little boys, and big ones, to brag about. Having once seen over 150 mph on the speedo of my FJ1200A, I have no desire to repeat that :D

What I am appreciating, however, is the extremely rapid 50 - 90 mph. That is very useful.

Like Ray, I ran my fastest ever on the FJR at the Bonneville Salt Flats, though it was during the off season when the salt was covered in water, so I did it on the access road. It was during WFO in Park City, UT. I got up to about 135 and the wind was pulling my helmet off of my head so I backed off. I have a better helmet these days.

I may have gone faster than that for a brief moment while passing a string of vehicles, but I don't normally look down at the speedometer when I'm passing, I just focus on getting past and moving on.

Since my name is Top Speed I guess I should chime-in. I got the name back about 20 yrs ago when we were doing snowmobile drags. The long runs were all about top speed and correct power to gearing ratios. It was fun back in the day.

For the Feejer however, I've never worried too much about what was the "top speed". I've held the throttle wide open on a few straight runs before but to be honest I was more concentrating on the road and my line. Sorry I don't have the exact number for you, but I'm past the numbers game anyway... getting old! lol.

I've seen 140+ and still pulling.

Might add that if a Holstein steps out in front a football field away you will hit it...

I've seen 140+ and still pulling.
Might add that if a Holstein steps out in front a football field away you will hit it...
Yea, that particular thought is what made me back down on my speed run. Middle of nowhere Nevada. hadn't seen another soul for 2 hours and was running between mountain ranges on the downhill side of a looooooooong straight road. Fully loaded bags and topcase, tucked in and watching the road roll by below the forks is pretty mesmerizing. Looking up, there are cows in the pasture at the bottom of the hill to the right with only a 3 strand wire fence to keep them in. Figured I had gone fast enough and backed off. GPS gave me a top speed of 141. I know she had more, especially running down hill.

I caught a quick glance of the too small figures on the analog speedo in the upper 130s to lower 140s in July of 2005 westbound on 299 heading toward Eureka. Uncorrected speedo and more than enough error in my quick glance to make that record suspect.

In June 2006 eastbound on 299 in the same area on the 2003 Blackbird, however, the SpeedoHealer digitally indicated a top speed reached of 173 mph. Though it was still pulling hard and rock stable, I lost my nerve to the growing fear that a LEO interception would probably get the bike (and maybe my a$$) impounded.

BTW, an "admission against interest" is usually an exception to the hearsay rule, resulting in admissibility of the statement unless there are multiple levels of hearsay, an expired statute of limitations or the usual need for a LEO to actually observe the commission of a misdemeanor (unlike felonies), among other exclusionary possibilities.

Is it cheating with Nevada next door? Been over a buck 40 way too may times to count. Best slight down hill fully loaded for a trip. 151 mph on the GPS

On another speed run saw 162 on my FZ1 with more left on the tach but not enough road.

The Hippo hits a wall of air at 125, plenty left on the tach but the bard door front end says your done

From what I've heard (
unsure.png
) if you're really going to do a top speed run, try to eliminate as many variables as you can.

1. Find a truly deserted road (no crossroads, homes, range animals, etc).

2. Make sure there is no traffic.

3. Go 5 miles or so carefully checking out the other lane and center for any potholes or problems.

4. Once satisfied, hit the brakes, do a U turn.

5. Hug toward the center.

6. WFO 1-4.

5. Hold in 5 for a while, glance down, check speedo.