Removing Front Wheel without scratching the rim w/calipers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
I tried to search for this.....

What's the trick to taking off the calipers (and putting them back on again) without scratching the rims?

There's got to be a better way.....

We've tried putting tape on the rims and spreading the calipers open to slip on to the disk brakes.

I'm thinking there's got to be a better way.

The black rims are really easy to scratch :-(

While I haven't had the front caliper off yet on my '14...the trick on Gen 1 calipers was to twist them enough the pads would open up further and make it easier to get out without contact on the rim. I'm assuming/vainly hoping the trick will work with Gen 2 and later bikes.

While I haven't had the front caliper off yet on my '14...the trick on Gen 1 calipers was to twist them enough the pads would open up further and make it easier to get out without contact on the rim. I'm assuming/vainly hoping the trick will work with Gen 2 and later bikes.
That's what works for me

Ray showed me that trick on my Gen II at my tech day in June, Of course, I never quite mastered it and managed to clunk against the rim several times taking them off and putting them back on. I have silver rims though, so I don't notice any serious scratches from that. Now, scratches on the rim from previous tire changes that I paid someone to do, that's another story altogether...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Gen 1 and did this just recently. I know what you mean about hitting the rims. In order to get the calipers off, they will indeed hit the rims if you don't open the calipers up a little. You said you tried this. I'm wondering, how MUCH did you open them? There is no other easy way, aside form doing some disassembly that you DON'T want to do. Trust me, it's just not necessary.

As you probably know, you need to be careful with the volume of fluid in the master cylinder reservoir when spreading the calipers. It causes the level to rise. When I did mine, I used my Mighty Vac to suck most of the fluid out of the reservoir before removing the calipers as I decided to flush the system at the same time. You ought to be flushing all hydraulic fluids about once every year or two anyway.

--So, I laid an old terry cloth towel over the rim, pulled the calipers out until they ALMOST hit the rims, then gently jacked them back and forth using the disk itself like a pry bar to open them. Once they were open about 3/8 of an inch, the calipers slid right off. They'll need to be touching the rim (actually the towel in my case) to be able to jiggle them off. This is the way they were designed. Those are some big disks. I hung the calipers with wire from the mirrors afterwards while I was removing the front tire. Below are the calipers just-a-hangin' while I was preparing to rebuild the forks.

IMG_0046.jpg

Hope that helps.

Gary

darksider #44

If you put a few layers of duct or blue painters tape on the rim, you won't scratch anything. Wipe the rim off with a little alcohol or brake cleaner and the tape will stick like magic. You only need to put the tape where the caliper will hit. Works every time.

Hmmm, I just took off my front wheel and put it back on after replacing the tire on my '14ES and had no problem. As mentioned above, I took my time and gently pried the pads apart then wiggled the caliper back into place and bolted it down.

I've always done the trick that Iggy mentioned to retract the pistons a little. One other possibility would be to pull the pads out of the calipers first before removing the calipers from the forks. I assume that is possible on the G3 ES. It is on a G1.

um, be careful?
unsure.png
just open the caliper all the way by using above described method and they just fall off

I guess I'm not that patient. My husband will agree to that statement, I am sure.

So, we'll try opening up the calipers a bit more and at the same time, protect the rims.

Remove the little hex screw that clamps the brake hoses to the bike. Not necessary but makes it easier.
Iggy's method plus this ^^^^ does the trick. I also remove the front fender each time I pull the tire, gives more room to maneuver!

--G

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: the front wheel can be removed and put back without unbolting the calipers from the forks. I've done it a couple of dozen times. Can be tedious and require patience but less hassle and time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: the front wheel can be removed and put back without unbolting the calipers from the forks. I've done it a couple of dozen times. Can be tedious and require patience but less hassle and time.
i tried that a long time ago and figured out it was way too much hassle.

Curious that there's enough room for the tire to pass between the calipers on the way out...I wouldn't have thought so.

Care to expound?

All the best,

Shane

I've owned four motorcycles since the fall of 1979 with dual front disks and not one of them could have the front wheel removed without removing at least one of the front calipers. On my Gen III, it is impossible to remove the wheel without caliper removal (unless you take a saws-all to the rim and cut a pie shaped chunk out of it).

I'd like to see pictures of this...

Dan

It happens that I do have pictures of this (removing and replacing wheels without unbolting calipers), published in Northern Rockies Rider July, 2014 edition. Rotate the fork bottoms. Don't know if it can be done on Gen 2 or 3. It was easier on my '03, a little trickier on my ABS '05. I have put 100,000 miles on FJRs and have probably pulled the front wheel at least a dozen times without ever removing a caliper. I've never posted pics here and am not going to start. I'll send them to your e-mail, though.