Local man (Vernon, B.C.) killed on M/C in northern California`

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgrif

Reaction score
Fellow from my home town was killed in a single vehicle m/c accident in northern California. I'm trying to get some specifics for a friend of his. Where did the accident take place or links to news item would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I believe you are referring to this:

7/10/2014

VERNON, B.C. — A recently retired RCMP officer from B.C.’s north Okanagan region has been killed in a motorcycle crash in northern California.

Sixty-two-year-old Blair Imrie died after losing control of his Kawasaki motorcycle on a curve.

A report from the California Highway Patrol says the Coldstream, B.C., man was travelling too fast for the conditions, veered into a drainage ditch and hit a rock embankment.

Imrie was thrown from the motorcycle and the machine landed on top of him.

Passing motorists and friends travelling with Imrie performed CPR, but he could not be revived.

Imrie had most recently served at the Vernon detachment and retired from the RCMP just two years ago.
Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly reported Imrie retired one year ago.

I believe you are referring to this:

7/10/2014

VERNON, B.C. — A recently retired RCMP officer from B.C.’s north Okanagan region has been killed in a motorcycle crash in northern California.

Sixty-two-year-old Blair Imrie died after losing control of his Kawasaki motorcycle on a curve.

A report from the California Highway Patrol says the Coldstream, B.C., man was travelling too fast for the conditions, veered into a drainage ditch and hit a rock embankment.

Imrie was thrown from the motorcycle and the machine landed on top of him.

Passing motorists and friends travelling with Imrie performed CPR, but he could not be revived.

Imrie had most recently served at the Vernon detachment and retired from the RCMP just two years ago.
Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly reported Imrie retired one year ago.
Yes that is the fellow. I was looking for a little more specifics re where he might have been riding etc? My friend is quite upset and I was hoping a little more info "might" help?

This locally written article in the Plumas News has local commentary, and even people who attended the accident. Please disregard the inevitable insensitive comments.

More details here. The accident was on the "Oro-Quincy Hwy, near Bucks Lake, west of Bucklin Road". I believe this would actually be Bucks Lake Road at Bucklin Road MAP LINK

Bucks Lake Road is a fantastic motorcycle road with technical decreasing radius turns, and has had new pavement within the last three years. The sharp right to left turn (eastbound) just southwest of the named intersection is one of those decreasing turns, where the road opens up a bit out of the lower canyon. The road entering the apex of that turn from the south is dirt and gravel and may have contributed. Streetview of the intersection shows the culvert off the road.

"Bugnator" (Doug) and others in the area can probably get first-hand details if you want to send a PM. This is also in the jurisdiction of the Valley Division CHP. I'm sure the CHP officer can be reached or a report obtained.

Sorry for your loss. Here are some of the reports:

Feather Publishing
7/9/2014
A 62-year-old man was killed in a motorcycle accident Tuesday, July 8, near Bucks Lake.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Blair David Imrie, of Goldstream, British Columbia, was killed after he crashed his bike on a curve.

The accident took place just after noon on the Oro Quincy Highway, west of Bucklin Road.

Imrie was riding his Kawasaki motorcycle eastbound and was attempting to negotiate a right-to-left curve. According to the CHP report, he was traveling too fast for the road conditions and drove into a ditch.

Imrie was unable to regain control before driving into a culvert drainage and hitting a rock embankment.

Imrie was ejected and the motorcycle came to rest on top of him.

Passing motorists and friends Imrie was riding with performed CPR. Shortly afterward, a Forest Service fire truck with firefighters stopped and assisted with CPR.

Attempts to revive Imrie were unsuccessful.

And Here

Former RCMP employee dies in California accident

95639vernonImrie-Blair.jpg
Coldstream resident Blair Imrie died in a motor vehicle accident in California Tuesday.— image credit: Facebook Photo

Staff at the Vernon RCMP detachment are remembering a respected colleague.

Blair Imrie, 62, died in a motor vehicle accident in northern California Tuesday. He was a retired RCMP officer and had been the city’s records manager at the local detachment between 1999 and 2012.

“The mood at the detachment is very sombre especially among the people who worked with him every day,” said Gord Molendyk, RCMP spokesperson.

Because of his career experience, Imrie was someone detachment staff turned to for advice.

“He was very knowledgeable,” said Molendyk.

According to the City of Vernon, Imrie’s wife and two daughters, who are both RCMP employees, are receiving support from family and friends.

At about 12:14 p.m. Tuesday, Imrie was driving his Kawasaki motorcycle eastbound on the Oro Quincy Road Highway, near Quincy, Calif.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Imrie was attempting to negotiate a right to left curve when he went on to the gravel shoulder and into a ditch. From there, he ultimately went into a culvert drainage and collided with a rock embankment.

Imrie was thrown from the motorcycle and the vehicle fell on top of him.

“Some passing citizens and his friends stopped and lifted the Kawasaki off Imrie,” states a release from the California Highway Patrol.

“His friends immediately started CPR on Imrie due to his lack of pulse. Shortly after, a Forest Service fire truck with firefighters stopped and assisted with CPR. After several minutes of CPR, Imrie was unable to be revived and succumbed to his injuries.”

Police believe speed may have been a factor in the accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really sucks, but I'll tell you what - that is a fantastic motorcycling road. At least the guy died with a smile on his face (5 seconds before the Oh Shit.)

Enjoy every sandwich.

Thank you all for your contributions! I have forwarded this to my friend who also expresses his gratitude!

Mark (Terry)

I'm sorry to hear the loss of a kindred spirit. It's always hard to lose someone you care about. But as stated he left doing something he loved and didn't suffer. For that I'm glad but not for the loss of a friend. Healing thoughts sent to family and friends.

It is always hard to read these reports. Prayers out to family and friends. For some strange reason it's always a surprise to read about an experienced rider's life ending while riding their bike but like many other great rider's before Blair they all knew the risk. And you never know when it's your time but we all know that for some strange reason every rider gone before us would have it no other way.

Wow I just saw this

I was on this road yesterday. I noticed a lot of sand and gravel on the road around the lake. Prolly from all the cars pulling boats and trailers. Other then that the road was in great shape. Sorry to hear this news.

It is always hard to read these reports. Prayers out to family and friends. For some strange reason it's always a surprise to read about an experienced rider's life ending while riding their bike but like many other great rider's before Blair they all knew the risk. And you never know when it's your time but we all know that for some strange reason every rider gone before us would have it no other way.
Very well said painman, deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers from The Stanley Family!

Last edited by a moderator: