Kate's UCCC Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know she is not riding a FJR, but this ride has a great story. Kate is attempting to become the 1st female rider to complete the IBA's UCCC ride.

I rode down to witness her start yesterday morning. Here are some photos:

The sunrise on the way down:

P7130333_zps5e2deac6.jpg

P7130334_zps0a6d5569.jpg

Kate's Start:

P7130335_zps62293951.jpg

P7130336_zps343de8bd.jpg

7 mile bridge:

P7130338_zps93fe0da2.jpg
P7130339_zpsdb67af78.jpg
P7130340_zpsba359545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful photo..!!!
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

P7130333_zps4acae5e8.jpg
It's the bike isn't it ?
rolleyes.gif

BTW that photo is dedicated to all the riders who think getting up and riding down to Key West at 2:30 am is nuts.

Due to a meeting time, I wasn't able to take it at the 7 mile bridge… otherwise it would be soooo fantastic!

Very cool, sending her good wishes and vibes for a safe ride!

Does Kate have an objective in terms of a projected time?

I have her Spot open to follow her. Looks like fun.

Does Kate have an objective in terms of a projected time?
I have her Spot open to follow her. Looks like fun.
She has a meet-up in Fairbanks, so she said the ride up would be quicker than the return. The UCCC gives 30 days for a round trip ( I believe)

But she does have planned locations for stops, but those should remain private with her.

I am really interested in her route. I took the long way up through the I-15 Montana crossing due to weather. I came back the N. Dakota route.

Found a shorter route via Wisconsin that I had never considered before.

101stpathfinder,

I don't do Facebook so I cannot comment on her page. Be great if she were to jump in here or on another forum.

If you are able to communicate with her, then tell her to checkout the dorms at the U. of Alaska Fairbanks when she hits town. I used to oversee the housing on campus and we would have 3-400 riders stay with us every summer. Cheapest summer housing you will find in Fairbanks and they are warm, dry, clean and safe. Good place to get real time info on the Dalton Highway from riders just returning, and also a good place to link-up with other solo riders for the ride north. Good to have a buddy in case something goes wrong. They are having record setting rains in the interior of AK this summer, so some real time info will be useful.

She should also checkout the Alaska regional forum on ADVRider. Lots of good and current info there from folks who've been riding in the north for many years. This thread https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943656, "Haul Road Primer" was written for the most part by Jack "ALCAN Rider" Gustufson. Jack has been up and down the haul road on a motorcycle more than anyone I know of. He's always ready to help. I was on John Ryan's support team in Fairbanks when he did his record UCCC and Jack road with John north on the Dalton on the first of his three attempts to reach Deadhorse.

Lots of good info out there to make Kate's trip a bit safer.

What a beautiful photo..!!! :rolleyes: :)
It's the bike isn't it ? :rolleyes:

BTW that photo is dedicated to all the riders who think getting up and riding down to Key West at 2:30 am is nuts.

Due to a meeting time, I wasn't able to take it at the 7 mile bridge… otherwise it would be soooo fantastic!
Yes it is nuts, but having done that ride from Ft Lauderdale to Key West with you starting out at 3:30am, I can say it was worth it!