Planning a Coast to Coast...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erixun

My helmet is on too tight....
Reaction score
I am in the early planning stages of doing a 50CC Coast to Coast ride next spring. I wanted to seek some advice, hints, tips, comments from the members of this forum that have some good long distance riding experience under their belts. I completed an SS100 last May (1081 miles in 15 hrs, 57 min) and I am going to try a Coast to Coast in May of next year. I have some questions to throw out there and am seeking some helpful inputs for my ride to be a successful/safe/enjoyable one.

My tentative plan so far is to take two days to get to San Diego so I am well rested, then do the the Coast to Coast, then take a day to rest, then ride down to the southern most point in the US, (I have been there before, but not on a bike). Then take several, days to get back home. I will be using mostly slab on this trip, as the goal is the 'Coast to Coast' ride. I plan on stopping for rest on the first leg of the 'coast to coast' in Beaumont TX, so as to also get a Bun Burner Gold cert as well.

Map:

https://goo.gl/maps/Jy19M

So some of the questions I have now are (I am sure this will raise some more, but these are the ones I am seeking some immediate answers to)

1. Is it best to go at this alone or with a small group? (I did my SS1000 alone, and enjoyed it because I rode at a pace that was good for me. Is a group/couple of riders more dangerous/bad/better? One of the riders I know does long distance rides but does not keep his receipts and get the certs, another rider, has not done a long distance ride, is experienced in riding/touring, but wants to go.

2. Is May the best time to go 'weather wise' or is there a better month to shoot for? I know no one can predict the weather, but I know late July would be a furnace, and January is out because of snow where I am... So any comments on this one? Previous experience?

3. On the website of IBA, it says if I leave during business hours, BMW of San Diego could be my starting witness, they are pretty far inland, so is the city/zip code of a coast line city good enough for certification? (I will be physically going coast to coast, as I plan on taking pictures and getting some sand/water souvenirs for personal reasons.) But is 'close' good enough? (When I did my SS1000 I had my witnesses sign the forms at the gas station that was my starting/ending points... too literal?)

4. Any other comments or helpful suggestions?

Of course the bike will have new tires/fully been serviced prior to the ride.

1. Alone would be my preference. If you have a single riding buddy, whose style matches yours, it is doable. A group is problematic although you could "ride your own ride" with a group of others doing the same. The CC50 is not an "extreme" ride, so it could count as a first certificate for a non-IBA member.

2. May/June or Sept/Oct would be my favourite times.

3. You can get witnesses in the town that you start from, but your start and end receipts need to be right on the coast. There are plenty of gas stations on the roads closest to the coast both in San Diego and Jacksonville. Witness forms can be signed the evening before you start, and several hours after you finish.

Lots of other tips, and there are many ride reports out there ... You can find some on ADVRider, others I think on the IBA website.

Others here will chime in with good stuff too.

1. Going from a group SS to a 50CC takes it up a notch. More than 2 people takes it up even more unless you've already put multiple days in with them. What if you're all about receipts for this ride (which you have to be) and your non-receipt guy gets antsy at the pump and you feel pressure to not check things as much as you shouuld. Or another guy's motorcycle breaks down and you have to choose to stay with them or to ride on to finish the ride. There's not a rule that riding with others is wrong, but it adds more variables. If you do ride with others setting up ground rules in advance is probably prudent.

I can count on part of one hand the entirety of the world I'd consider doing a group 50CC with and they all are FJR riders with triple digit IBA numbers. I doubt I'd try it with anybody personally.

2. The timeframe you suggest in Springs sounds pretty good for that southern route.

3. I suggest decoupling the witness and starting location thing for this ride unless you absolutely KNOW you've got witnesses lined up at both ends that can throw a rock in the ocean from where they're standing next to the pump that spits out a receipt. As Twigg suggested you can get the witnesses off the clock before and after the actual ride. Use that gift to your advantage as much as possible. The IBA's suggestion to ask a cop or other official (if you don't have known witnesses lined up) speaks to the idea that you get somebody that will respond to a phone call or e-mail if the IBA asks to verify after the ride. The BMW place would work only as a witness, not the starting (or ending) receipt as I don't think they're on the beach. Don't try and push this one and maybe even embrace the extra time to snap a selfie of yourself scooping up sand on each end and include the pictures. While they're not required evidence--they are both supplementary documentation and help put you in the spirit of this ride. 15 minutes on each end extra when it's a 50 hour ride is small potatoes and worth the effort if you've rocked out a SS in 16 hours before.

4. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Cooler in the Spring, but 2 days of riding and being able to drink while riding is important. Read/Reread the Archive of Wisdom. Reread the ride rules the night before you start.

Last edited by a moderator:
1). It is best to do by yourself or with someone that you have ridden with before and you have riding styles which are compatible. If you ride with others, have an understanding before you ride what will transpire should problems arise.

2) I did the 100CCC in the first part of September and I roasted. May will be nice (Most likely rainy)
I think the first part of October would be best. I am considering the 200 CCCCC this sept/oct.

3) you can get witnesses in advance of your ride within reasonable distance of your start location. I really like fire stations. Your sand & water can be collected off the clock before your start receipt and after your end receipt. Off hours are better start/finish times as both are in urban areas.

4) have a great ride - routing is not to tough on this ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for taking your time to tell a newbie your valuable inputs, they are very much appreciated, noted and will be acted upon!

I think in the back of my mind I knew I should do this ride alone, but after the word got out to a group I associate with, some wanted on board. Very good tips on separating starting time/place and witness. I am going to heed this advice to save time, and also gather my souvenir water/sand off the clock as well.

I might just be able to do this in October of this year, I did not draw out for the hunt, so I have some saved vacation days that were slotted for and now not being used. Just need to get a kitchen pass from the misses and finances in order- (tires, full and thorough service, fuel, hotels...) This just might be doable this fall, and maybe even see some fall colors in the east on the way back.

Thanks again, B