Powere Commander V on Genlll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Other than FJRat, have any of you gone with a PC V on your Genlll? I would like to know from those who have and are running stock exhaust. Does it make the bike run more responsively in the Tour Mode? Has it reduced gas mileage significantly? I ask this because I think my 14ES is less responsive in Tour Mode than my 07 with PC lll set on smooth and stock exhaust. In Sport Mode the ES is great. I'm getting overall average MPG 47.1 with 5900 miles on the bike.

FJR Ownership once again unnecessarily rears its ugly head.....

Fed-Debt-ownership-burning-money.jpg

Ya, this one has me scratching my noggin.

It's tour mode. It's supposed to be smooth. So you think it's to smooth. Just ride in Sport mode then. Save your money, by gas instead.

Have you read the PC5 instructions for a Gen3 ?

Looks like the PC5 has no effect on the A:F up to %20 ECU throttle output.

When @ touring speeds, the ECU TPS output is around %8-9 at 110 kms hr according to my LCD200.

So I don't think it will make any difference at all unless you keep giving the bike big fistfulls of throttle continually.

The %throttle is the output from the ECU and not the input from the TPS aka twist grip.

Yep, a waste of money for a bike that has perfect fueling.

Was the power commander designed for models before you had the ability to select tour or sport or was this always an option?

Couldn't add anything to this. Gen III fueling is perfect as is.. Touring mode is my main choice. Plenty of power when wanted and soooo smooth and precise! Sport mode is for you wild crazy types. I way too old for that.. Tried it. Scared myself..
mda.gif

Was the power commander designed for models before you had the ability to select tour or sport or was this always an option?
Selecting "Tour" or "Sport" has only been available on the Gen3 ('13 and '14) models.

I found both settings to be smoother and more predictable than the '07 Gen2 was in its stock form. Tour on the Gen3 is smoother than the Gen2 with the PC-V installed.

I am at a loss as to how the fueling could actually get smoother than the "Tour" mode on the Gen3.

Couldn't add anything to this. Gen III fueling is perfect as is.. Touring mode is my main choice. Plenty of power when wanted and soooo smooth and precise! Sport mode is for you wild crazy types. I way too old for that.. Tried it. Scared myself..
mda.gif
Unlike most here I use Touring mode when riding solo and Sport mode when 2-up, fully-loaded. The extra weight of a full load smoothes out Sport mode so that it feels remarkably like Touring mode when solo. I end up having a consistent throttle response all the time, regardless of my load. Very nice.