wiring auxiliary lighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wlfman

Reaction score
For those in the know on the FJR electrical system.

I want to add a set of floods and a set of spots (both LED) to the bike. I want to wire the floods on a dimmer so they are dim on low beam and then wired so if I have hi beams on they go full power (I have the LED Rider dimmer for this). I also want to wire the spots so they come on with hi beams (not on dimmer).

My question is. Is this too much on the hi beam circuit?

Via a relay and a separate fused supply, not a problem.

Direct connection, boom ! See how good the current carrying capacity of the lighting circuit is on the Gen3 or the lack of it.

Yes.

The second diagram here, shows the proper way: https://ledrider.com/dimmer-wiring/

P.S. - Hopefully I'll have a bike lined up towards the end of the month to get some Gen3 brackets designed that can hold bigger lights.
Justin. I have the floods wwired that way thru my PowerHub Fuse block. My floods already work the way I want them to. I just wanted to know if adding the Spots would be too much for the hi beam circuit as I do not want the spots on a dimmer. I want the either off with low beams on full with hi beams.
THANKS

Yes.

The second diagram here, shows the proper way: https://ledrider.com/dimmer-wiring/

P.S. - Hopefully I'll have a bike lined up towards the end of the month to get some Gen3 brackets designed that can hold bigger lights.
Justin. I have the floods wwired that way thru my PowerHub Fuse block. My floods already work the way I want them to. I just wanted to know if adding the Spots would be too much for the hi beam circuit as I do not want the spots on a dimmer. I want the either off with low beams on full with hi beams.
THANKS
Just use a simple relay circuit. You don't want to add anything above and beyond the headlamps to the stock highbeam circuit.

Just grab a 4 pin (SPST) relay from radio shack or any auto parts store. Tap into the highbeam wire for pin 86 on the relay. Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 30 connects to battery positive. Pin 87 powers the lights positive. Light negative to ground. The lights will come on with the highbeams, but pull power from the battery.