GPS Power Cord Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that I can safely cut off the plug on the end of this power cord (the portion that would be inserted into an automotive aux port) and then wire it into my FJR fuse block? I believe the required modification of the current takes place in the piece further up the cord. Am I correct?

5513289_sa_zps3b1dadfd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply purchased a ready to connect power cable via an online GPS store. The cable comes ready to hardwire to a fuse block or battery terminals.

I don't know if you can hack off the the 12v end and simply use the remainder of the cable to hardwire it. Hopefully someone can chime in with the proper answer.

I doubt it.

Inside that large piece of plastic is the electronics to reduce 12V to 5V.

5V power supplies with the USB connector are very cheap and easy to find on eBay and Amazon.

What you can probably do is hack the cig lighter fitting. Remove all the plastic, find out where the power goes in and solder bare wires to the terminals. Then wrap it all in some self-amalgamating tape, and wire to a fused outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twigg ^^^^ has it right...don't cut off the plug or the GPS will likely go up in smoke. Buy a power cable online that's ready made.

Good luck.

--G

The round piece on the cord is an RF/EMC choke. The DC to DC converter is most likely in the piece at the end of the cord as Twigg mentioned. You could open that up and connect the wires that go to the center (+) and outside (-) of the lighter plug to the power block though.

I doubt it.
Inside that large piece of plastic is the electronics to reduce 12V to 5V.

5V power supplies with the USB connector are very cheap and easy to find on eBay and Amazon.

What you can probably do is hack the cig lighter fitting. Remove all the plastic, find out where the power goes in and solder bare wires to the terminals. Then wrap it all in some self-amalgamating tape, and wire to a fused outlet.
Funny you mentioned self-amalgamating tape, Twigg. I was working on my GPS connections and cap plugs and researched ways to hook things up and ran across this wonderful tape for the first time in some other forums. I have been to hardware stores and auto-parts stores and they both looked at me like I had some kind of problem when I was asking for amalgamating tape or centerline tape. I also coudn't find python tape. I guess you've got to go to an electric supply place or something?

Anyway, it looks like a roll is about $15 bucks but seems like you can do some cool stuff with it.

For the non-electricians like me:

I bought a roll of 3M Self-Amalgamating tape about 20 years ago in England, when I was installing a couple of satellite systems.

I'm still using it!

Yes, it's expensive, and worth every cent :)

You do have to remember to stretch it hard while you are wrapping a joint. It stays pliable well below zero.

do NOT do it. if your gps gets power through a usb connector like that, and it's a 'car' GPS, it does convert to 5V.

But you can buy ANY 12V to USB power adapter (even one with two usb ports) - charge your iphone while you're at it.

Look for "Rescue Tape" on the net. I usually pick it up at a motorcycle show but have seen listings for it at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Basspro, Cabelas. Very handy stuff to have around and I carry a roll in with my tools on the FJR.