Sena SMH10 Firmware Version 5.1 Now Available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
Just received this email:

We are pleased to announce the release of the version 5.1 of the SMH10 which includes:

- Advanced Noise Control™:On/Off capability

- Improved intercom compatibility with the 20S

- Improved compatibility with Bluetooth GPS devices

- Minor bug fixes and improvements

You can upgrade your firmware using the Device Manager v2.0.4 for Windows and v2.0.4 for Mac users.

Please be sure to register your product online in order to download the new Manager software, since free upgrade service is provided only to the registered users. For more details, please visit Sena web site at www.sena.com.

I saw that today. I recall a lot of trouble with 5.0 so I have never upgraded from the version before that. I will wait and see how this one pans out before I upgrade. Mine works great for me and the wife so my thoughts is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The major 5.0 (non beta) release was excellent in my opinion with additional features from the 4.3 beta before it. I updated last night to 5.1 on both of my units easily and so far so good. I think I recall more issues with people's ability to update than with the version itself. It's not the most intuititive updater interface when combined with two critical steps of SMH10 button press combinations....

It it's ain't broke but has more features and works....update it IMO.

Upgraded mine this morning. It was fine.

It did, as usual, sneakily try to set Vox "On" for the phone, but I was wise to its tricks.

I have the 5.0, anyone else get crackling voice from Zumo665?

I can live with it, but I don't think I'd pump music through the zumo to my headset.

I have the 5.0, anyone else get crackling voice from Zumo665?I can live with it, but I don't think I'd pump music through the zumo to my headset.
I get some breakup but it is not the firmware in my case. I have the clamp that includes the plug for earbuds and the wiring for the plug is very fragile. There have been a number of complaints about it on the ADV forum and the one fix I'm going to try with my new clamp is to use a ty-rap around the plug and then take the excess from the ty-rap and place it between the shell and the helmet liner. This will supply the extra support that the plug seems to need to stop the wiring from breaking from all the flexing in the wind.

One other issue is that you may have the volume from the Zumo set too high and it is causing some clipping. Have you tried adjusting the various outputs from the Zumo to see if it had any effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet the volume is the problem. I'll play around with it, that makes sense.

I also have the Ear bud kit still in the box., was going to switch over soon. I'll have to think about that one.

The tie-wrap fix worked for me. It involved drilling two tiny holes in the shell of the helmet, just big enough for the smallest tie-wrap.

It clamped the socket tight and has never caused a problem ... Helmet is unaffected.

You might need to do something about the socket, because it now points up and behind and it can be hard to plug in earphones when you are wearing the helmet ... A short extension left attached to the Sena socket fixed it for me.

Anybody got a report on 5.1?

My Sena SMH10R w/5.0 worked fine paring my flip phone and the Zumo 665 thru it. XM Music and phone voice great. Got a Galaxy S5 and had poor phone audio. Sounded highly compressed. No volume control I could find on phone, Zumo or Sena affected it.

Paired the phone directly to the Sena and audio is good, but lost all the Zumo-enabled features for dialing, directories, etc.

Did 5.1 fix this?

The device manager says 5.0 is the latest for my SMH10R. :(