Questions for BMW R1200RT Owners (FJR Content I Promise)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
My wife and I are renting a 2014 BMW R1200RT in Tuscany for a few days and need to get some questions answers from those of you who own, or have owned this bike.

• Bike will come with side cases and top case. We've traveled many times on the FJR with the same (<-----FJR Content!). Are the BMW's bags bigger or smaller than the FJR's? We're trying to work out what we can back. We'll be stopping in towns and leaving the bike unattended and packed while we walk around so can't strap anything of value on the outside of the bags.
  • I have a Garmin 765T I used on the FJR. It just bit the dust on our last trip. The BMW will have BMW's Navigator GPS. Can I easily create routes here at home and download to the GPS with a memory stick or USB cable when I get there?
  • Is the BMW Navigator any good? As good as a Garmin (which isn't that good)?
  • Does the BMW have better or worse protection from the rain when underway?

Thanks for any thoughts.

My wife and I are renting a 2014 BMW R1200RT in Tuscany for a few days and need to get some questions answers from those of you who own, or have owned this bike.
  • Bike will come with side cases and top case. We've traveled many times on the FJR with the same (<-----FJR Content!). Are the BMW's bags bigger or smaller than the FJR's? We're trying to work out what we can back. We'll be stopping in towns and leaving the bike unattended and packed while we walk around so can't strap anything of value on the outside of the bags.
  • I have a Garmin 765T I used on the FJR. It just bit the dust on our last trip. The BMW will have BMW's Navigator GPS. Can I easily create routes here at home and download to the GPS with a memory stick or USB cable when I get there?
  • Is the BMW Navigator any good? As good as a Garmin (which isn't that good)?
  • Does the BMW have better or worse protection from the rain when underway?

Thanks for any thoughts.
I came from an 04 FJR and now I have a 2011 RT.

I find the side cases to be similar in size and capacity as the FJR. I had a GIVI top case on the FJR, both top cases fit full face helmets, so no big difference there either.

The BMW Nav. is a special version of the Garmin Zumo tailored for BMW. No problems creating routes in base camp and transferring them to the Nav. You should note that there is not an accessable speaker out jack for the Nav. units. It's bluetooth, the BMW sound system or nothing for sound.

I find the RT to be better protected than the Gen I FJR. This is good and bad. It is good when it is cold or raining, but bad when it is 90 degrees + out.

As far as I know BMW hasn't lifted the "DO NOT RIDE!" on the '14 RTs yet. You sure you are getting a '14 RT?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not ridden the '14 BMW and I am not an owner but...

I have ridden the '08 BMW R1200RT. The bags are slightly larger than the FJR bags but lose a bit of space to a double wall. They are excellent, perhaps nicer in some ways than the FJR. Strictly a matter of personal like or dislike. My understanding is that the '14 bags are better and larger. I read that they are almost identical to those on the K1600.

I am almost positive that the BMW Nav system is made by Garmin.

The BMW will have WAAAAY more rain protection. The fairing is almost too much protection from the wind for those of us who live in the Deep South.

The comparison pic below may help. The BMW has a slightly smaller than stock Cee Bailey screen, the FJR has a slightly larger than stock Cee Bailey.

Besides my new FJR, I still own a 2012 R1200RT and ride with two friends who both own 2014's. The side bags are roughly the same volume wise. There are two top boxes available, a small 29 liter and a larger version. The BMW top boxes are double walled which cuts down on interior room a bit and make the boxes pretty heavy even empty. BMW's Navigator GPS is a close cousin to the 600/665 Zumo series by Garmin. While I'm not sure about downloading your home brewed maps, they are nice units and have good on-board routing capabilities. Rain protection is on par if not a bit better than the FJR. Hope this helps and have a great trip!

I can't comment on the 2 bangers storage as I have only ridden one once, but I can on the Nav5 GPS (well it should be on a 2014). It is a Gamin, same interface you are use to, has a Micro USB port on it as well to send routes to your "Trip Planner" Icon. If you get the <2013 "Nav4", it is the same but a little smaller screen (more like the Nuvi's). Either way this shouldn't be a worry.

Have fun in Tuscany!!

As far as I know BMW hasn't lifted the "DO NOT RIDE!" on the '14 RTs yet. You sure you are getting a '14 RT?
Hmmm..... I'm not sure about this. My communications have all been about a 2014 and they said they had it but I've heard about what you're referring to and it makes me think there's no way they're going to rent that bike out.

I wanted the RT because I could compare it to my FJR just for fun. I have absolutely NO desire or plans to let my FJR go. I love it. If the RT isn't available I may change to a GS and see how it compares to my Super Tenere, again, just for fun. The only BMW I've ever ridden was a test ride on a K1600GT which I liked but just seemed too big and expensive when compared to the FJR.

Oh wow, great responses. I appreciate all you guys jumping in so quickly. I love this forum!!
I'm really looking forward to it.
+1, Gunny; you have gotten fantastic responses from the FJR Forumites who have posted above. steve_g is right on, only the ES model is affected! JSNS!

Consider an RR and picture taking of your adventure the small cost for access to all the wisdom on this board...
......the guilt is already overbearing! It's like being a kid again.

Well, I guess now I've GOT to do something.
If only to make us over on this side of the pond jealous of your travels! :)

Have a good time! (I am jealous)

Ray

Latest posts