Sacto to San Diego route input please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwil

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Next week I am heading to Sacramento to visit a friend for four days. After that I will ride the bike down to San Diego over three days. I did the same ride back in early March but had to stay at low elevations. It was a great ride. But this time it is summer and I have more options. Below is what I have in mind. Target is 300-350 miles a day. Mariposa to Big Bear I am just guessing, so the roads I picked could be poor or gravel, or there might be better options.

Day 2 I am thinking of riding Kern Canyon both directions just for fun.

Day 3 I will probably fool around in the Big Bear area before heading South. 38 and 18 to 138 looks like fun.

Any input much appreciated!

I will be in Pacific Beach for the first two weeks of Aug if anyone wants to join be for a ride.

10353696_10152583577507152_2247123641442341502_n.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/C4ujE

10550980_10152583577557152_7493998098930031494_n.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/EaLwy

10551041_10152583577517152_3822537982341845711_n.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/jmBOr

Day 3 on the Idylwild section, consider turning LT on 74 toward Palm Desert and ride the crazy twisty part and then back again to join in your regularly scheduled route... this is what the twisty part looks like... bet it would be fun both ways!

DSC_1138-L.jpg

Thanks for the great input Tyler!

I did not think of approaching Big Bear from the West. It makes sense.

The twisty section towards Palm Desert I think is a must ride (big grin).

I have been making changes and am sitting around 400 miles a day :)

Day 1, stay on 49 and go through Sonora.
Depending on which day he will there, I'd recommend not going through Sonora to avoid town traffic. Plus his current route includes Pool Station Road which is one of my personal favorites in that area... we usually do it twice - once each way - and sometimes three times... he'd miss that if he went through Sonora. Just my .02cents. B)

It's a really tough decision at Oakhurst, whether to continue on 49 to Mariposa (aka Little Dragon), or go up 41 to the famous Yosemite Tunnel View, and return to 49 on 120. Both roads are great, and it depends on whether you've ever seen Yosemite or not. The waterfalls are not in great shape this year, but it's still spectacular, and the spur to Glacier Point is well worth the short trip too.

I'm surprised not to see a single trans-Sierra pass on this route. If things get hot on 49, you can always dodge over to US395 and Hwy 89 to get cooler.

If you're still looking for route suggestions, I would suggest this route across the mountains to US395...

Kennedy Meadows via Sherman Pass Road - https://goo.gl/maps/uDt10

I found this route using my AAA California State map. The thin grey lines are treasures just waiting to be discovered. Plan for another 2 hours added to your trip due to the lower speed twisty mountainous roads. The scenery is something to behold- vast panoramic vistas, cool alpine meadows, with very little traffic. This road is not one advisable for motorhomes!

Note… Gas is available a few miles south when you get to US395. Tank up before you start.

Have fun on your trip !!!

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Wow, thanks for the info everyone! I am going to have to make some tough decisions. The good news is that there is not really a wrong answer :)

I should have mentioned that in the three days beforehand that I will be riding with my friend from Roseville we will be doing the Sierra passes. Hoping to do hwys 50, 88, 4 & 108.

Yes, it is going to be hot
bigeyedsmiley.png

If you take Tyler's excellent suggestion of coming into Big Bear from the west, you might want to use SR-38 on your way out to mix it up a little. It's a fun motorcycling road, and the southern section has some high speed sections if you're so inclined. It will leave you at I-10 in Yucaipa, where you can resume your route as planned.

2014-07-21_07-53-26.png

If you take Tyler's excellent suggestion of coming into Big Bear from the west, you might want to use SR-38 on your way out to mix it up a little. It's a fun motorcycling road, and the southern section has some high speed sections if you're so inclined. It will leave you at I-10 in Yucaipa, where you can resume your route as planned.
Thanks for catching that, TC... 38 is indeed an awesome road! B)