Leaving Sunday 8/31. Cali to NY, then South and West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I modified the title of this thread; it's happening in FOUR DAYS *edit* TWO DAYS! I've got a link now to the trip in Spotwalla, right here. Calling it "Sac Mike Circumnavigates America." I haven't tried that before (Spotwalla, that is), so I hope everything works. Guess I'll put this info on the last post, since that's where folks might look first. And the link won't have anything to display except a blank map till Sunday.

Edited--again. The first link I posted was busted. Operator error. I'm hoping the one above will work, but if not, I just KNOW I can count on you helpful fellers to tell me how bad I screwed it up. Down to three days to get it right. (The rest of this post is what I wrote a few weeks ago.)

ORIGINAL POST

I'll be going through too many regions to put this in "Regional Ride Planning." I've been thinking about finally taking on this trans-USA Great Circle Ride for quite a while now, and it's getting closer. It grew out of my wife's desire to visit some folks back in Central NY (where I'm from), and evolved into an airplane ride for her and a six or seven week solo bike ride for me, with the two week NYS visit in the middle. All the camp gear on the back, and a VISA for rainy day motelling.

Plan (it's not much of a plan) is to ride across via northerly roads, see a few things I never caught yet on the way, like those big heads in South Dakota, the Black Hills, Devil's tower, whatever I can find, and of course a few favorites on the way to get there, like Chief Joseph and the Beartooth, maybe even Glacier/Going-to-the-Sun (there will be zig-zagging involved to cover all this, I know).

Heading back, I'd like to see the Smokeys, the Appalachians, maybe the BRP and the Dragon, whatever I can find down that way, and cutting west somewhere once I get far enough south. I'd love to see New Orleans if it's not too much of a side trip and time allows, and add stops to see my brother and his bunch in OK City and my son at school in Flagstaff. There may even possibly be a few surprises I don't know about yet.

That's where you come in. I'd love to connect with some forum folks on the way. I'll be posting up as I go and hope to see some replies from folks on the route. You can show me the local surprises I'm talking about--and you all have them, I know.

The bike's in the shop for a pretty complete check-out now. It's only money! I expect to leave right about Sept. 1. I'd love to look in on NAFO on the way, if I can make the timing work at all, but it's iffy. Wherever it ends up, I'm getting pretty jazzed about another check-off on my Bucket List, and looking forward to meeting all of you I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
You dog you, I am so envious of you and Bikerskier. I intend to make the same trip in 3 years, so take notes. OK.

Outstanding! I'll be in Kansas City, MO. on my bike the weekend of Sept. 19th. Then I head to EOM for the next weekend. How far south are you planning? Wanna check Key West off your bucket list? The Florida boys can make that happen. It will be an honor. We'll have a slumber party in my house and head out in the morning. I'm thinking that would be right up your alley. I'll be paying attention! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is what retirement and a damn-understanding wife looks like then I can't wait to get there some day. Good luck on your planning (or not so much) and your endeavor. Sounds like a blast. If you stumble your way through PHX to visit Beemerdon on the way home, I'll swing by to say Hey!

Depending on your route, stop by for a Reuben. If not I hope you have a shitty trip just cause I'm really jealous.
smile.png
smile.png

Sounds like a fantastic trip Mike. Would be great if the timing were to work out for NAFO, but if it doesn't, you are more than welcome to use our home as a rest stop if you so desire. I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult to get some of the local gang together either for an evening BBQ.

Perhaps if you get far enough East, it might be worth your while to hop on a ferry and spend a few days in Nova Scotia. Pretty lil' chunk-a-land.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm planning to do something similar next year (my 60th b'day present to myself). Do the Northern loop first. If you are headed out at the beginning of September for up to 8 weeks, the mountains in the northwest can throw some nasty surprises by mid to late October. From a California start, I would head up the coast and hit the Cascades/Yellowstone/Beartooth and Chief Joseph first. The weather in the Eastern mountains is a little less extreme but I would try to finish that part by the end of September. You should be into perfect fall weather in the South for a leisurely swing back home. If you are doing Colorado, I would try to do it fairly early as well. Hope you have a fantastic time and that the weather is amenable to camping most nights. On my last coast-to-coast excursion five years ago, I hit about 12 days (out of 17) that were too cold or wet for comfortable tenting and that was late June to early July. I'll be watching (and taking notes).

Hey Mike, you better come down to EOM. I'm going to need some west coast help if the banjo's start playing.

Hope you can make NAFO, some mighty fine riding below LaCrosse and cheese curds too!

I'm learning the banjo and should be good enuf to scare you good right out behind your campsite in the Carolinas.

We won't let you go until you squeal like a pig...just remember those life saving words. Oh, and I'll see you at EOM if you happen to pass through at that time.

Goober says "hey!"

I'm learning the banjo and should be good enuf to scare you good right out behind your campsite in the Carolinas.We won't let you go until you squeal like a pig...just remember those life saving words. Oh, and I'll see you at EOM if you happen to pass through at that time.

Goober says "hey!"
You've got some pretty lips there, Boy! (Insert me peeing my pants emoticon here) :D

Sounds like a great trip, Mike. Similar to mine in a lot of ways. I'll be leaving on Aug 25 and heading up to Hyder, then Nova Scotia, Key West and San Diego for 4 corners. I'll PM you for an email addy to send my rough route.

Also would be happy to see some folks on my ride. BTW, Scarlett Johansen is riding pillion with me.

I know you aren't planning much, but plan on bringing your Spot device with the tracking enabled. It will help the Forum Angels looking over your shoulder look out for you.

Sound like a lot of fun, if your travels bring you around SLC, drop me a line, would love to grab a bite or something. Also have a guest room if needed.

Sounds awesome, would love to be able to ad-lib around a USA loop like that. When you get into CNY? Well, I'd say I'll show you around but heck, you were originally from here! Still would be great to meet up!

Sounds awesome, would love to be able to ad-lib around a USA loop like that. When you get into CNY? Well, I'd say I'll show you around but heck, you were originally from here! Still would be great to meet up!
If you and KJ hook up for a ride around CNY, I might be able to join you! I'll be watching this thread. And I second the Spot suggestion!