Making a quick mount for my Pelican Case and FJR.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango Sierra

Reaction score
Last winter I bought a used luggage rack from a forum member and since I already own a Pelican case I started planning a way to mount it. I had glanced at a few FJRs with a Pelican including Rick Corwine's bike but it seemed those were direct bolted to an aluminum plate. I wanted a quick release mount so I could roll the Pelican into my motel room at night.

I started out emailing Mike at Farkles by Maple ( maplefarkles.com ) asking about his quick mount option for a Pelican Storm case. Turns out his mounts won't work with a non Storm version of the Pelican like I have. He did tell me about a trolling motor quick mount ( https://greatlakesskipper.com/minn-kota-mka-42-boat-trolling-motor-bracket-1862014 ) he bought to experiment with but didn't get very far. He said he had cut off a small piece and didn't have the hardware for it anymore but that I could have the mount for shipping costs. (If you need an auxiliary fuel tank for your BMW or FJR contact Mike. Really nice guy who spent a lot of time with me without making any money off me. When I inquired about another of his products that is an option on his tanks he referred me to a cheaper source.)

Now I can't usually figure out how to open the grocery bags when we return from the store but I decided to try and design a mount for my Pelican with the trolling motor mount that Mike sent me. I designed the system except for the security latch which was done by the welding shop I tasked for the machining process.

Before starting the project I installed the 'Stiffy" subframe brace from Garauld which was easy peasy.

Here is how the two parts of the mount interlock.
P7182539_zps6ada524d.jpg

I had the mount cut to 9.5 inches long. One half of the mount was attached to the Pelican's roller handle frame.
P7182536_zps0da2bb1b.jpg

I had the mount half with the stop pin mounted to the luggage rack. The luggage rack was drilled and threads tapped for the bolts that hold the quick mount to the luggage rack. These bolts extended through the luggage rack and I added nuts on the underside to protect the threads plus hopefully make the attachment stronger. A hole was bored in the quick mount to have access to one of the bolts that hold the rack to the motorcycle. Also a hole was bored in the luggage rack for the security latch.
P7182538_zps4a1b9232.jpg

This is the security latch. Just a aluminum rod welded into a piece of aluminum block with a hole for a padlock.
P7182533_zps44908e64.jpg

The security latch drops in the hole behind the quick mount, which blocks the mount halves from separating.
P7182535_zps4cc1fd8a.jpg

I added a keeper made from weed trimmer string so I don't set the latch aside and forget about it and end up loosing my case while going down the highway.
P7182534_zps2f4e49b5.jpg

Job done.
P7182541_zps1109eeea.jpg

P7182540_zpsa3ddec08.jpg

I know it's not pretty but tell me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. Looks easy to take off/on, and looks pretty secure. I would say job well done. Probably more secure than my plastic factory trunk lock!
thumbsupsmiley.png

Trolling motor mount, what a great idea! I struggled with this solution back when I first got my bike and just decided to bolt it on, wish I would have thought of that. I've since changed to a Givi for ease of removal and the Admore light kit.

Your locking device looks a bit clunky, but so does a Pelican case, so it works. Great job, I like it!

Latest posts