luggage for the long haul

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silveryam

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have gone on several long distance rides, the last being 5,300. Im going on another tomorrow. I usually pack fairly light and I can fit enough for 2 weeks on the road in the saddle bags but I usually put my trunk on so I will have a place to put my helmet, GoPro and gloves when I stop and any extra trinkets I pick up. I am considering leaving it behind this time but I'm afraid if I do I will find I need it. I would appreciate y'all's input..

I carry my daily clothing in my left bag, my extra riding gear, rain suit, warm liners for jacket and pants, a light wool sweater in my right bag.

I carry my spare shoes and my mesh jacket, extra maps, bungees, notebook, camelback and a large bag of roasted almonds in my trunk. There is room to stash my gloves and GPS in there as well.

Learned during my recent 7,100 mile trip that I'm carrying too many clothes.

Didn't use half of what I brought. Will now reduce clothes to one jeans, three t-shirts, three undershorts, nylon shorts (double as swim suit) and three socks.

I wear a wicking tee shirt and compression shorts under my jacket and Flex Pants for riding. I carry two of each.

I don't know about your trip--distance or duration--but you have to be ready for such a variety of weather, even if you have minimum changes of clothes or underwear, there's a lot of bulk that as far as I'm concerned, is all essential. I like Big John's thoughts about too many clothes, but I'll still have rain gear, extra gloves, cooling vest, extra warmth layers, etc. on every multi-day trip. Gotta have the trunk/tail bag.

Of course, when I go, the back seat's occupied by a big waterproof duffel full of camping gear, so the idea of aerodynamics is already shot to hell.

Thanks for your input! The only reason I considered not bringing it was the bulk but as has been said, its usefulness outweighs all else so I will bring it. This trip will be about 18 days from Houston to Sturgis (B4 the rally) then on to Alberta Canada. I usually carry 2 jeans/short sleeve shirt (armor under or similar) combos and usually wear each 2 days. I put on Monkey Butt to minimize sweat and odor. Including what I have on that gives me 6 days before I have to wash. I also carry nylon zip offs, at least 1 long sleeve and extra under ware and socks. This goes in the left saddle bag. I carry rain gear, heated gear, tennis shoes in the right. I put Advil, microfiber cloth and cleaner in the outer zippered pouch. I use stuff sacks from 2upturing.com which is a real space saver.