What's the best brake light modulator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
I installed the Whelen TIR3 light yesterday. Very impressive light. It is wired up solid now, brakes applied the light is on. I want to install a modulator to flash the TIR3 light 3-4 times then go solid. What modulator is your favorite part and why?

I don't have a modulator for my tail light, but my auxiliary brake lights I installed by my license plate modulate for a few seconds then go solid. I have the 'U32' Hyperlites (just running and brake- no turns) and so far have loved them. Seems that people do not ride my butt as much and when stopping they seem to stay back further as well.

With additional license plate bracket they could be added to your existing set up.

Thanks for the reply. I don't need any extra light at this time. This light is used on police cars and motorcycles. I would like to flash what I have then go solid.

Modulators work best with LED brake lights. You can't flash an incandescent bulb nearly as fast. That's one reason why most of us with brake modulators use them with auxilliary, LED, lights. The only one I know of that works with the stock lights is Signal Dynamics BACK OFF modulator.

The SupaBrake seemed to work OK with the stock bulbs and Givi light kit (which is LED). But I swapped out my stop/tail light bulbs for LEDs and the flicker effect is more pronounced. If you want to only power the TIR3 then the Supabrake wouldn't be a vey convenient choice.

If you do swap in LEDs for the stock bulbs you have to pick the right ones. Many so-called replacement aren't as bright as the stock incandescents. The ones I got are. There are a total of 52 LED nodes (26 each) in the two replacement lamps together.

I have the Whelen on my bike (and on my 09 that I sold) and I used the MCL flasher . . . totally programmable to do just about any pattern you want and simple to install. Here in CA, I have it set to 4 flashes, then solid. I see someone coming up behind me when I'm stopped, a simple off/on of the brakes usually catches their attention.

I use the Signal Dynamics Back Off modulator. Have it wired to my auxiliary LED lights. Benn running for about 6 years now with no problems.

I will only use the modulator with the TIR3 LED light.
Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, the one I have is excellent and inexpensive. It has many flash patterns available, but i use the one with three quick flashes followed by steady on. This Universal brake light flasher is the one I have

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of modulating the brake lights (of which there are scant few) I chose to add more lights to the back as Hyper-Lights. Add to instead of subtract from existing lights back where you want people to see you. Highly visible. Won't mess with the ABS sensors, etc.

You are correct, I misread it. However, for those that want to "modulate" the OEM brake lights, I installed Kisan modulating brake lights. Direct replacement for the bulbs only! I chose halogen over the LEDs and I've read of one person having problems with the LED version. (Full disclosure, only one person commented on another forum.) I've really like the ease of install (just replace the bulbs) and they are bright.. modulate rapidly to full on in 4 seconds.. Just what I wanted.

I will only use the modulator with the TIR3 LED light.
Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, the one I have is excellent and inexpensive. It has many flash patterns available, but i use the one with three quick flashes followed by steady on. This Universal brake light flasher is the one I have
I twice ordered these same parts and each time the setup found its way onto a different bike. I've had many comments on it and they've worked flawlessly for several years now. Really should just order another set and get the FJR done.

I put in a pair of Kisan modulating bulbs in my FJR and they do just what I want them to do. They are as bright or more than the OEM brake lights. No farting around with added wiring. Remove the OEM bulbs and replace with Kisan.