Rear wheel problem '03.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRandy

Reaction score
I recently swapped rear wheels with Bill Jones, since he was getting rid of his FJR cheap with a straight wheel and mine is basically a pretzel. His is an '04 and mine is an '03. I was positive the wheels would be exactly the same,(both non ABS) but apparently not. When I go to tighten the '04 wheel it pulls the axle tighter and binds the drive (I assume). I see the axle threads protrude more through the nut, and the right side has the axle pulled in past the face of the swingarm. Any ideas why this would do this? Has anyone put an '04 rear wheel on an '03? I'm 6 hours away from Bill and can't just swap back. I HAVE to make this work, otherwise the rest of my riding season is done. I won't be heading back to NJ until mid-late Sept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you remember to put the spacer back in? I thought there was one for non ABS rims.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I think I figured it out. '04 spacer tube on the drive side is 1/2" longer...exactly the distance I need to line it up. WHEW!! Spacer tube on it's way!

For those interested.....'03 spacer tube is 2 3/4" long. '04 is 3 1/4" long.