kml navigation on iPhone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwil

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I did a forum search but could not find an answer. Maybe it does not exist.

I have an iPhone 4 that I use for navigation (Google Maps app) and it works OK.

But I would like to use my own routes to navigate to. Is there a free or inexpensive app that would do that for me? Say create the route in Google Maps on my PC and then import the kml file.

Thanks!

Check out CoPilot. Transmits guidance via Bluetooth, stores North American maps as a 1.5 gig file on your device, WiFi or data connection not required. Easy to create routes by adding waypoints, change route via drag and drop, stores saved routes as .trip files.

I'm using it on a Nexus 7, an iPhone might be a bit small for easy editing, but I can manage it on my Galaxy 4. Paid version is less than 10 bux iirc.

+1 to CoPilot. No idea how much of this applies to an iPhone, but here's what I do with Android. Shows you how to convert KML files from Google Maps to CoPilot. Then it is just a matter of finding out where it saves the TRP files in CoPilot. Maybe iPhone users don't have access to the file system though.

https://asphaltsea.org/co-pilot-for-android-import-procedure

Again, not sure on iPhone, but if you set up the voice to be the Google navigation voice instead of one of the voice packs that comes with CoPilot, it will give you street names with the turn by turn directions. The default voice just says "Turn Left or Turn Right" instead of "Turn Ridge on Canal St".

Thanks Guys! I will give CoPilot a try.

At first glance it looks like it could work.

Unfortunately I got this from the CoPilot forum, so uploading a .trp file will not be possible on my iPhone :(

"Unfortunately, due to restrictions Apple has placed on altering the file structure of their hardware it is not possible to upload trip files into CoPilot for iPhone. However, I have added your suggestion to our feature enchancement list which will be shown to our developers for review."