Would a '03-'05 non ABS rim work with ABS ring from '08+ Pressed On?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure you can press on an ABS sensor from '04-'07 to a non ABS rim and make it compatible, but wondering about the different ABS ring that comes on '08+ bikes. I'm about to pull the ripcord and buy a used rear sensor ring try myself, but I thought I'd check-in first to see if anybody has either tried or has an educated opinion (i.e. ionbeam, FredW, etc.).

I've got a front and rear non-ABS rims from a part-bike '05 now and thinking they'd be nice options for my '14.

I have similar questions about my 04 ABS. Can't find an original front, and wondering if some others will fit. For instance the 05-07 abs looks right, but is a different part number. If you do find an expert please let me know,...

Good luck!

I did some more work on this and think I found a significant hitch in my plans. I believe the '04-'07 ABS rims are pressed on while the '08 and later aren't pressed and instead fastened with three fasteners. And those fasteners screw into bosses that are not present on the earlier rims. I ran into something similar on a BMW around the years they started offering ABS on F650GS bikes.

I'm thinking about still considering the challenge though by welding on some bosses, tapping them, and adding sensor rings. I'll have to talk to my Tenere friend if he'd be up to the challenge.

Naturally, welding hose the rim finish, but I have are a mixmatched and dinged over the years I was planning on repowdercoating the rims in some '14 complimentary colors anyway.

Not the biggest priority this winter, but maybe I'll get the other farkles knocked out and at least get a rear rim converted.

Not a high-priority items as my rally season next year doesn't

Did not see this earlier, Matt.

But I do not really know if the later tone rings can be retrofit onto the older wheels. Never tried it.

Let us know if you give it a whirl. It's always good to know what our options are.

Not the biggest priority this winter, but maybe I'll get the other farkles knocked out and at least get a rear rim converted.
I tried brazing onto an '04 rim a boss with gas and aluminum supposedly for it a few months ago....it's like trying to melt wax to a sideways teflon pan. Not even close to working.

I also heard that welding cast is really difficult if not impossible.

I gave up.