2014-07-20 MotoPort Riding Gear Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2014-07-20 MotoPort Gear Repair

Primary tabspublished by dcarver on Mon, 07/21/2014 - 18:48

Forums:
Miscellaneous

Sent MotoPort gear back for repair.. After 8 years of near daily use, it's time for some repair work..Velcro on pants pocket no longer lines up - the 'hinge' has worn now the flap overhangs too far.

Zipper pull tabs gone. This zipper allows the male tab to insert past engagement point, making it a PITA to start the zipper.

Liner on inside bottom worn from boot wear..

Zipper pull tab gone on jacket..

Same for sleeves.

Also replacing all reflective striping.

Will keep everyone posted with results and cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad they couldn't do that stuff to the coats owner. That boy is in need of a little repair ...
not_i.gif
rolleyes.gif

I've had my Ultra II Kevlar pants for 10 yrs now.... still wear them everyday for my commute rain or shine. However, I'm also due for some minor repairs as the inner liner like yours is getting a bit worn and the velcro straps at the pant cuffs don't stay in place as good as the used to. I'm very tall and there are few, if any, choices for me regarding good riding pants... These were $350 10 yrs ago and worth every penny.
Mr. BR

I see that both of you are long term users of MotoPort gear and I am curious about the Kevlar mesh fabric. Is it comfortable, is the weight comparable to textile gear and is armor ventilated????

Thanks

I see that both of you are long term users of MotoPort gear and I am curious about the Kevlar mesh fabric. Is it comfortable, is the weight comparable to textile gear and is armor ventilated????Thanks
I've had MotoPort gear for approximately 6 years. Although not nearly as well worn as DC's, the gear still gets used 5 - 6 months of the year...once the rain tapers off a bit.

The mesh fabric is probably double the weight of *typical* mesh gear. New Motoport mesh is very stiff and needs to be worn / laundered to loosen up the weave and become more pliable. Armor is ventilated with small holes, but it is quite extensive in the gear and blocks some air.

A couple years ago I picked up [OK, I stole it!] a used MotoPort stretch kevlar jacket at a local gear swap. If I were buying new MotoPort now, I'd strongly lean towards their stretch kevlar gear. More comfortable, just as protective and still flows a decent amount of air for summer riding into the mid 90's.

--G

G-,

Interesting perspective. Up to now I always thought the ultimate protection was with non-stretch Kevlar.

It's a funny thing.. I ride pretty much every day, weekends too.

I thought I had some worn MotoPort gear.,.

but then Wayne set me straight..

I'm just a NOOBIE!

flirt.gif

To answer directly..

The jacket, fully loaded with armor, is heavier than a Hein Gericke leather jacket.

The pants, fully loaded with armor, is heavier than anything I've worn except wet leathers.

I was surprised at how 'light' the gear was without padding when I washed it prior to sending to Wayne at MotoPort.

Made me want to ride without the pads in the summer time.

Then again, when you're butt is sliding down the road at 80+ maybe that padding is OK..
flirt.gif

On another note.. For two straight days in a row now I've driven a car..

It has been a VERY long time since that shit happened...
bad.gif

Don,

Do you need some loaner riding gear? I might be able to fix you up. I wouldn't want you to go through any deep withdrawals.

Richard

PS. I was riding the yellow Versys that Saturday with Barrie, to Parkfield.

My stretch kevlar is is so comfortable, breathes well except for all the padding. I can attest to the padding does it's job quite well when Bambi strikes, and sliding down the road at 55mph. Cost 180.00 to have the gear repaired from the deer strike.

According to motoport, the mesh Kevlar is so much stronger than anything else. I wonder why all the top racers did not use it to protect their skin?

I have been wearing a motoport Ultra II 1000 Denier pants since 1997 and I like it very much (at least mine is as good as the competition leather suit the motogp guys are wearing, according to Motoport), but it doesn't mean I have to believe everything he said... :)

NEW Competition Grade Leather: 80-110 pounds to tear / 1200-1700 cycles to failure

1000 Denier Cordura : 110 pounds to tear / 1780 cycles to failure

Air Mesh Kevlar: 1260 pounds to tear / 1800 cycles to failure

Stretch Kevlar Blend : 420 pounds to tear / 1800 cycles to failure

Honestly, I like my Motoport Ultra II 1000 Denier pants. I have it since 1997 for more than 100k miles of riding and it's still holding up.

However, I don't really believe the tear strength and all that posted on motoport web site. It seems that motoport is the only one who claimed those numbers and I couldn't find it anywhere else. Not sure where he got those numbers from...(they did change over the years for no reason)

I have been wearing the Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants for several years now. The jacket is Motoport's 3/4 length version, not the svelte waist length that Carver wears. With its liners, it's versatile enough to wear in all weather. It may seem like a pricey piece of kit, but considering what it is potentially protecting, it really isn't. And I bought a set for my kids as well.

I've been very happy with it. Never more so then when I took an unplanned flight path while riding in the twisties a couple of weeks back. It protected my hide from a nasty case of road rash, and shows hardly a scruff from the incident.

The only permanent mod I'd make to mine is to cover the lower ass, and inside of the thighs with a material (leather?) to keep it from wearing against the seams in my Russel Day Long. That Kevlar shit is abrasive as holy hell. Go ahead, rub up against a car and tell me what it does to the paint.

Otherwise, I love mine. Warm, cool, dry, protecting. What's not to love.

383584.jpg