Must Do Rides in the Northeast U.S. & Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
I have put together a web page of the Must Do Rides in the Northeast U.S. and Canada. These are meant to be the rides that you would ride 100 miles out of your way to ride. I have tried to hit most States and Provinces. I have tried to only include those rides that can easily be completed in one day so no Gaspe Ride etc. I may include a couple more - I am thinking about it. I would greatly appreciated comments and suggestions.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/Must_Do_Rides/14_Must_Do_Rides.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Great selection of roads, Ed. I have done many of these. Hard to pick just one from some of these areas but I think your choices are excellent. There are, however, lots of opportunities to pick some side excursions from your "Best of" routes while in the vicinity of the "Must do" rides. Thanks for posting!

Edit: The Gaspe IS possible in a day but you would be missing a lot of photo ops and wouldn't have much time to enjoy yourself along the way. Campbellton to Gaspe to Mont Joli and back to Campbellton via the Matapedia would be close to 13 hours of riding with no stops. But I agree that it isn't a one day ride.

Your "Viking Trail" ride in Newfoundland is, technically, a one day ride but you would be doing the trip a great disservice by trying to complete it in that time. Still an excellent choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great selection of roads, Ed. I have done many of these. Hard to pick just one from some of these areas but I think your choices are excellent. There are, however, lots of opportunities to pick some side excursions from your "Best of" routes while in the vicinity of the "Must do" rides. Thanks for posting!
Edit: The Gaspe IS possible in a day but you would be missing a lot of photo ops and wouldn't have much time to enjoy yourself along the way. Campbellton to Gaspe to Mont Joli and back to Campbellton via the Matapedia would be close to 13 hours of riding with no stops. But I agree that it isn't a one day ride.

Your "Viking Trail" ride in Newfoundland is, technically, a one day ride but you would be doing the trip a great disservice by trying to complete it in that time. Still an excellent choice!
I know about the Viking Trail Ride being long. I cheated to get that one in! If you have any suggestions for the Best Of pages, I would be grateful: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/NBBestRoads.htm

That's a good looking list, Ed. I'll bookmark it for my ride back into NYS in September, and south after that. Sorry it only goes as far as PA to the south. Those roads in the vids--sheesh. I know it's deer country, and they have soooo many hiding places, don't they?
omg2.gif

That's a good looking list, Ed. I'll bookmark it for my ride back into NYS in September, and south after that. Sorry it only goes as far as PA to the south. Those roads in the vids--sheesh. I know it's deer country, and they have soooo many hiding places, don't they?
omg2.gif
You will love the rides!

Thanks for the post. I was just reviewing some of the rides and came across the POI for the Brick Store in Bath, NH. Reminded me to order some smoked pepperoni! I used to live about 2.5 miles from there.

I'll be doing the Finger Lakes/Northern PA/Adirondacks and maybe Vermont this next week.

Thanks for the post. I was just reviewing some of the rides and came across the POI for the Brick Store in Bath, NH. Reminded me to order some smoked pepperoni! I used to live about 2.5 miles from there.
I stop by the Brick Store every time I am in the area.

Thanks for the suggestions, I check these listings often on 'that other' site.

I did VT17 last Thurs. Great scenery & technical riding but the road surface was very, very, very rough. VT73 was in much better condition.

Not on the list, but as an informational aside, VT105 out of Island Pond & VT102 (my fave) were primo.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks for the suggestions, I check these listings often on 'that other' site.I did VT17 last Thurs. Great scenery & technical riding but the road surface was very, very, very rough. VT73 was in much better condition.

Not on the list, but as an informational aside, VT105 out of Island Pond & VT102 (my fave) were primo.

Cheers,

Ed
I love 102! 17 is about to be repaved on the west side.

I live near Lake George,NY so I have done all of the route 8 and 28. I have taken rte 4 through VT, rte 2 thru NH and ME 1a/3 to Bar Harbor (11 hrs with no rush). One of my favorite rides was rte 22S to Mass, rte 2E (Mohawk Trail) to Boston rte 1 to Salem then up the coast to Hampton Beach, NH, then rte 4 back thru NH, VT and NY. Can't remember exactly how far it was but it was a great trip, forgot to say Mt. Greylock in North Adams MA was part of the route and that was great too

I live near Lake George,NY so I have done all of the route 8 and 28. I have taken rte 4 through VT, rte 2 thru NH and ME 1a/3 to Bar Harbor (11 hrs with no rush). One of my favorite rides was rte 22S to Mass, rte 2E (Mohawk Trail) to Boston rte 1 to Salem then up the coast to Hampton Beach, NH, then rte 4 back thru NH, VT and NY. Can't remember exactly how far it was but it was a great trip, forgot to say Mt. Greylock in North Adams MA was part of the route and that was great too
All of those great roads are on our site: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

Have you seen our awesome Lake George trip with rides? https://www.newenglandriders.org/Adirondacks/Adirondacks%20Weekend.htm

BTW, I love eating at Bistro LeRoux in Queensbury!

Thanks for the suggestions, I check these listings often on 'that other' site.I did VT17 last Thurs. Great scenery & technical riding but the road surface was very, very, very rough. VT73 was in much better condition.

Cheers,

Ed
I've been hoping that for the past 3 years.
wink.png

One thing that you are missing is in the Acadia routes. Arguably the most striking scenery in Acadia is up in the northern part of the park on the other side of Frenchman's Bay, on the Schoodic peninsula. It's kind of an out and back if you are staying in Bah Haba, but it's worth it.

JosiesPictures158.jpg

JosiesPictures138.jpg

JosiesPictures156.jpg

JosiesPictures147.jpg

Cheers,

Ed
I've been hoping that for the past 3 years.
wink.png

One thing that you are missing is in the Acadia routes. Arguably the most striking scenery in Acadia is up in the northern part of the park on the other side of Frenchman's Bay, on the Schoodic peninsula. It's kind of an out and back if you are staying in Bah Haba, but it's worth it.

JosiesPictures158.jpg

JosiesPictures138.jpg

JosiesPictures156.jpg

JosiesPictures147.jpg
Hi Fred. I know all about it just couldn't fit it on this ride.

It is on our Best of Maine Roads: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/MEBestRoads.htm

and on our Best Trips: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Maine/Maine%20Rides.htm

and part of our Maine Scenic Views: https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestViews/MEBestViews.htm