That same damn front end clunk question....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
Scenario -

2014, 6000 miles. No wheelies, off roading, somersaults. No two up riding.

Bike's had a clunk in the front for a while now. DOn't really know if it was there when new.

Easiest to hear when bearing down on a hard stop from a few mph. Clunk.

I do see that the pads rattle a bit. DOn't see how they would make that noise if they are squeezed against the rotor.

Can't budge the rotor. So much (I think) for the floating rotor theory.

I can NOT make the clunk repeatedly by holding front brake and rocking bike. That always worked on my Trek road bike.

I tried grabbing forks when up on center stand and don't really see play.

Its not rattling when riding - basically all I've got is this Clunk in that last fraction of a second before the bike is fully stopped, and it only happens if I am breaking hard enough. An easy stop won't do it.

I dont want the service guy mucking about if there is no reason for it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit concerned at first and checked everything up front thoroughly.

A new bike with a strange noise ????

The only item I found was loose steering head bearings.

I have a AEE, aka the Aussie ES and have a clunk within the inverted forks.

2 of my Forum mates had strange clunks and found that they had loose engine mounts.

Had a very loud Ca Lunk on hard stops with my Gen2. I checked and rechecked everything. Finally went away

when I stopped using Armor All on the seat.
blushing.gif
Okay seriously, I have a knock sound occasionally but not there

if front and rear brakes are both applied. Pretty sure it's related to the linked brakes but don't consider it a problem.

You said it happens in the last fraction of a second when before full stop. That is pretty dang close to when the bike's

suspension is rebounding. Just something to think about.

Does the top fitting on the rear shock have "clearance" like it does on some bikes ... that it, the rear shock top mount is simply located rather than held tight?

That might make a noticeable noise when reaching the end of a hard stop.

Two things:

1. tighten the steering head bearings (easy to do). Jack up the front end and more than gently push the handle bars to the stop and see how bad it rebounds. If it stays at the stops, too tight. If it goes all the way to the other side and bounces back, too loose. If I remember, mine goes half way after hitting the stops (firm, but not a hard push). This is simplistic, but it works.

2. See if pushing down hard on the front end repeats the noise. Sometimes the position of the inner spring can cause this noise and opening up the cap and rotating the spring can help.

Ok, bars bounced all the way back, no resistance. Worth getting them torqued

I.. err... bouncing the bars to check the torque? Really?

ah, nevermind, I have no dog in this fight.

I'll just say the external forces from cabling and wiring will have a greater affect on the 'bounce' than the actual bearing torque.

Let the dogs loose.

Steering head check

• lift the front wheel off the ground and be sure the bike is stable, an assistant would be very helpful
  • with the front wheel pointing straight ahead, grab both forks at the bottom and (gently) push/pull back and forth, don't let the center stand fold!!!
  • the forks may flex a bit but there should be no looseness at the steering head
  • if you feel movement at the bearing or hear a light clicking at the bearing it is loose and needs to be tightened
On higher mileage bikes, after the push /pull on the forks, move the forks side to side from stop to stop. The forks should move smoothly with no notchiness or roughness. If you feel anything in the movement the bearings should be changed. Changing the steering stem bearings on the FJR is not as easy as you would expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we sure it's not just the plastic from the inner part of the fairing hitting the side of the glove Box? That inner part of the fairing in that spot seems to wobble enough to hit that plastic side of the glove box. I was going to put some foam in between there, but I never got around to it.

Hi Iris, yeah, I can feel it as well as hear it. It is exactly like a loose headset on a road bicycle.

I tightened my steering head and that didn't make it go away. I look forward to hearing what you discover.

I didn't need to hear that. My 2009 didnt clunk. I didn't pay extra for the clunk.
mda.gif

I tightened my steering head and that didn't make it go away. I look forward to hearing what you discover.
I've got some foam backer rod in the garage. Next time I have the fairing off for service I'll stuff a piece between the fairing and the glove box to see if that helps.

So far, the only thing that's helped is stuffing foam in my ears :D

Mechanic said he didn't think it was the bearings after riding and trying to wiggle forks. He retorqued it properly, and now the noise is gone.

Well, at least we know what it was !!!