Any emergent problems with the gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salan10

Reaction score
As a current owner of a 2008 FJR and previous owner of an '03 FJR I have installed a modified wiring harness, oiled dry clutches, and replaced defective ignition switches -- each problem became known soon after each new model was introduced. Have any common problems such as the Gen II wiring harness design problem been discovered in the Gen III FJR? I don't see any evidence in the discussions in the forum.

I'm likely to replace my 08' this winter with a GEN III, and feel encouraged that the new design looks to be bug-free, Is it?

Many complain of clunking coming out of the front fairing. Not sure if there is a solution yet.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159094-that-same-damn-front-end-clunk-question/?p=1163554

Plenty of bugs on the front of mine I hate to admit.
rolleyes.gif

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
only problem I've had in 17 months and 32K miles is that the YAMAHA logos on the chrome rail on both side bags have come unglued. Dealer sent me replacement both times.

Peek at the front of your rear fender bottom on your 08, notice the mudflap, you want one on your gen 3, some seem to come with one, others have not, holes are there for mounting.

No mechanical or functional issues after 8 months and 11k miles. No one-time or infrequent starting or riding issues either.

Have any common problems such as the Gen II wiring harness design problem been discovered in the Gen III FJR? I don't see any evidence in the discussions in the forum.
If anything major had (or is) discovered, it would be pinned here .

Only problem on mine with 17K miles is the dry clutch syndrome! Dealer soaked them at 4K and all was good til about 14K. I just soaked them myself earlier this month and WOW what a difference!
punk.gif

PS easy job except the wire spring retainer holding in the last set of plates!
uhoh.gif

22K on mine and it has been error free. Nothing but tires, and lots of elbow grease to remove the bug guts.

only problem I've had in 17 months and 32K miles is that the YAMAHA logos on the chrome rail on both side bags have come unglued. Dealer sent me replacement both times.
Ditto. I've had an 04, 06, and an 07 over the last 10 years. Without question the 13 is the best of the bunch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno... my '13 seems to have a penchant for draining my bank account on farkles and accommodations. Mind you my Gen 1 did the same.

I dunno... my '13 seems to have a penchant for draining my bank account on farkles and accommodations. Mind you my Gen 1 did the same.
Well, there ya go. Three generations and mamaYama still hasn't fixed that issue. The FJR forum has gotten better at mitigating the problem now that Warchild is routinely AWOL, however. That bastage and his ubiquitous group buys cost me a fortune on Blackbird and Gen.I farkles back in the day (when we had to walk 5 miles in the snow to a dealer, it routinely took 5 to 8 months to get a feejer delivered in North America, dual compound tires were but a pipe dream and FJRs used to tick).

Only 21,000 miles so far. The Yamaha emblem fell off the right pannier and the anodizing is completely worn off the bar ends. Not exactly cause for suicide.

OK, I get the message. The Gen III has no issues so far, and is a great bike, maybe the best of the lot. Thanks for sharing your experiences and all the wry humor.

Couple of minor things but nothing major. I did a clutch soak at about 1k miles due to slightly clunky shifts, better after that. Only other complaint is a very, very slight hesitation in throttle response when setting off or blipping the throttle to down shift. You can tell it's throttle by wire compared to my 07 which felt more direct. Love the bike though, best all around m/c I've owned in 49 years riding and that includes a boatload of bikes. So far have 10k miles on her and plan to put on many more.