Radman 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
https://binged.it/1nWfmhb

I will be leaving Friday, August 1st, from Des Moines, IA on the Radman 1000. The link above is my route...lots of slab...but I plan on making Moab before dark. Estimated time of departure will be between 4:30 and 5:00 Central. I hope to make Moab by 8:30 or so. I have done several 1000+ mile days...this will be my first recognized ride by the IBA I hope. I just need a witness at both ends. Hopefully the hotel clerk or gas station attendant will be amenable. Rad, if you're up there reading heaven's interweb this one is for you!

I am going to try and get a pic posted when I leave and another from Moab on this thread when I arrive...we shall see how technically advanced I am...

Have a safe ride. I'm sure you're going to be filled with tons of deep thoughts as you ride. Perhaps the wind in your hair buffeting your helmet will feel quite liberating.

I just need a witness at both ends. Hopefully the hotel clerk or gas station attendant will be amenable.
I don't like to volunteer riders without checking, but CraigRegs is in the Des Moines area and is super great about witnessing for riders if he is available.

Fire stations are a really solid source for good witnesses also.

I have moved up into the new world...I have an iPod now, custom molded earphones...I am planning on a 15 hour music gala all the way there...one thing Rad and I had in common...we like all sorts of music...I have 530 albums plus miscellaneous singles on my iPod...I think I am going to hit "random" and go...no deep thoughts...this is going to be a joyous ride from start to finish and I will be raising a glass of the finest Merlot at the end of the journey...I get to do the two things I probably love the most in life...I get to ride my bike and spend time in the most beautiful place on earth....Utah. Rad gets to ride along in my head...I hope he enjoys the ride. I am going to hike to the top of Angels Landing...I should take a little of Rad with me and leave him there...I know he would enjoy the view...he just hates the heat though. I am stoked for this trip. 10 days of riding, hiking and enjoying the desert and mountains of Utah.

Wife has encouraged me to buy a SPOT Gen 3. I guess I will be visible for the entire trip, riding and my hiking adventures. I am taking this entire trip solo, she thinks the tracker will give her a little piece of mind especially when I am out of cell range hiking fairly deep in the desert. Hopefully I can get it set up and working before I leave on Thursday without driving myself crazy. Perhaps there is a local rider with a SPOT unit here in the Mpls area that can speed my learning curve???

And yes, I am bringing a tablet with me so I am going to try and get reports up in the evening from the road...I probably will have to wait till I am home to post up a few of the good pictures. I am going heavy this trip with 2 cameras AND a GoPro for a little riding and hiking video. I am going to learn how to post stuff on Youtube upon my return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just need a witness at both ends. Hopefully the hotel clerk or gas station attendant will be amenable.
I don't like to volunteer riders without checking, but CraigRegs is in the Des Moines area and is super great about witnessing for riders if he is available.

Fire stations are a really solid source for good witnesses also.
Absolutely available to witness if needed. PM if you want to connect.

Good luck to you on this excellent journey. I hope your path into Moab from the east takes you along rt128. I thought that road was just gorgeous. Probabaly depends on the time of day etc. If you don't ride it in, try to ride it on the way out.

Have a safe ride!

Got the SPOT Gen 3 up and running. Set it out on the deck and created a map and within 5 minutes it showed up on the map. The SPOT site was pretty straightforward. Not sure I am ready to tackle SPOTWALLA yet. Maybe when I get back. Making a mount for my bike tomorrow morning. Looks like I can carabiner it on to my backpack while hiking. The SO and kids will be very happy to be able to keep tabs as I am out alone on my desert sojourn. I am hiking into some pretty remote areas on this trip in Utah. I understand that I will be in snake country for quite a bit. I am going to need to decide if I need to get a pair of snake guards ordered before I leave...I would not want to run into a rattler miles out into the desert alone with no protection. Just not sure of the probability of running into one. $50 might be cheap insurance.

Perfect!

Great ride, great destination, great time of year.

I'll be almost a week behind you when arriving in Moab with my wife, after some general farting around in SD, WY, and CO first.

Looking forward to the report!

All the best,

Shane

Well, here goes. Hopefully my technical prowess is getting better. Here is my first SPOTWALLA for the Radman 1000 I will be riding on Friday, August 1st. Feel free to follow along.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=ac1f53d85eb5a47df

My goal is to depart between 4:30 and 5:00am central time and arrive in Moab around 8:30pm. I am planning on a having a late dinner at Zax in Moab after I check in and get cleaned up. Feel to to join me tipping one back for Radman. I encourage you to pour one and give Rad a hearty, "Salut!" at 9:30 mountain time.

Last edited by a moderator: