Features to Look for in your Next Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article. The last two jackets I bought for myself have been Olympia AST jackets. I didn't realize why, but they do have most of the features you describe as desirable for both street and trail. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't make the AST any more, but their Ranger jacket looks like it might an updated version of the same basic thing.

Interesting article. The last two jackets I bought for myself have been Olympia AST jackets. I didn't realize why, but they do have most of the features you describe as desirable for both street and trail. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't make the AST any more, but their Ranger jacket looks like it might an updated version of the same basic thing.
In the Olympia line the Nomad and the Motoquest Guide jackets are pretty good for both street and trail too. The only down side I see to the Ranger is the smaller vents. For me, in SC it would not be cool enough for a summer jacket, but it might be for you.

I do think Olympia is one of those brands where you get a good bang for your buck.

In the Olympia line the Nomad and the Motoquest Guide jackets are pretty good for both street and trail too. The only down side I see to the Ranger is the smaller vents. For me, in SC it would not be cool enough for a summer jacket, but it might be for you.

I do think Olympia is one of those brands where you get a good bang for your buck.
Good information. I haven't seen any of the new Olympia jackets in person. I do like big vents, as long as they are water resistant when closed and they don't reduce the crash protection of the jacket when open.

Yeah I agree. I have the Motoquest in my living room right now. My first ride with it will hopefully be this Saturday.