Tight U turn with electronic clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayDon

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2006 FJR with the electronic clutch. When I did a tight U turn on my old bike the process would be ride the rear brake, slip the clutch and control the speed in turn with the throttle balancing the clutch and rear brake. How do you do this without the clutch?

My technique is to also ride the rear brake to control the speed somewhat. Takes a little practice. I am still practicing
smile.png

I just purchased a 2006 FJR with the electronic clutch. When I did a tight U turn on my old bike the process would be ride the rear brake, slip the clutch and control the speed in turn with the throttle balancing the clutch and rear brake. How do you do this without the clutch?
If it's really tight, slow the bike right down until the clutch disengages (see note below), then a bit of throttle to get drive, but keep the clutch slipping. If possible, use the rear brake to steady your speed. You can control the speed with just the throttle if you want to keep your foot hovering over the ground (I often lack the confidence to keep it on the peg), but on the '06 (and '07) it's not easy with the abrupt throttle tube cam.
Note that whatever you do, don't have the bike turning as you get down to disengagement speed, it's easy to drop the bike as the clutch disengages. Do it before the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I've heard on this site, you drag the rear brake to keep the speed in your turn controllable and the RPMs up high enough that the clutch does not disengage below 1300rpm. If the clutch disengages while in the turn, you may fall over.
no.gif

Me? I'm a clutch guy, always will be.
punk.gif

I think the techniques above are good advise. You need to know the 2006 is not exactly blessed with a finesse throttle. Many owners have changed to a G2 throttle tamer to make the initial roll-on a bit smoother, and also take out the slack in the throttle cables. The original throttle had a tendency to come-on quickly and was difficult to modulate in the lower RPM range. You can decide if it is something you want as you gain more experience with the bike, but be aware that the rear wheel has overpowered some riders.

look at the "throttle spring unwind" solution too, it really helps the low speed throttle control issues. Just tryin to help out, no one here likes to see an FJR on it's side.

from what I've heard on this site, you drag the rear brake to keep the speed in your turn controllable and the RPMs up high enough that the clutch does not disengage below 1300rpm. If the clutch disengages while in the turn, you may fall over. :no: Me? I'm a clutch guy, always will be. :punk:
You are quite right about the falling over bit, particularly on an up-hill hairpin, been there, done that. It's not always practical to keep the speed up enough to prevent the clutch disengaging (3000 in 1st is about 9 mph). That's why I suggested slowing sufficiently to disengage the clutch before the turn.

You still have a clutch it's just controlled by your right hand (RPMs). The trick is in training the right hand, takes a little getting used to. So follow the same proceedure drag the rear brake and modulate using the right hand, after a while it becomes second nature.

My Mom's driveway has a hairpin turn right at the parking spot on a moderate slope. Only place to park and even though I have been paring there for several years when I visit it still gives me a few moments of anxiety when I start out to leave. I always rehearse the start and turn in my head beforeI start the engine and often again before starting to move. Just something about starting out in a turn going immediately down hill.

If your doing a slow rolling U Turn try keeping it in 2nd gear it's not as jerky throttle response like 1st gear when it grabs, and as other have said keeping on the rear brake will smooth things out, keep the throttle steady and use the rear brake to control your forward motion.

If your doing a slow rolling U Turn try keeping it in 2nd gear it's not as jerky throttle response like 1st gear when it grabs, and as other have said keeping on the rear brake will smooth things out, keep the throttle steady and use the rear brake to control your forward motion.
Except that if you've stopped in 1st gear, you can't select 2nd. You need to be able to do it in 1st for when there's no option.

You still have a clutch it's just controlled by your right hand (RPMs). The trick is in training the right hand, takes a little getting used to. So follow the same proceedure drag the rear brake and modulate using the right hand, after a while it becomes second nature.
Purdie much ^THIS^

The AE clutch engagement not only goes by rpm, butt throttle position too, so ya gotta be somewhat decisive w/ the right hand.

Comment on rear brake dragging (not electronic clutch--whatever TF that is
blink.png
)

It's my understanding, and practice, that the turns are executed primarily with clutch and throttle control, and the rear brake only used to further tighten the turn if necessary. As I continue to practice, and wanting to develop good habits (and having seen that Youtube vid plus all the comments here to drag the rear brake), last night I emailed

Hans,Reading comprehension...this thread is about electronic clutch bikes...

;-)
I realize that (of course), but there is also a lot of talk about the rear brake, right? Adding to that angle.

But on second thought, maybe I'll just put a heading for clarification. (You know I'm all about being crystal clear.
rolleyes.gif
)

Hans,Reading comprehension...this thread is about electronic clutch bikes...

;-)
I realize that (of course), but there is also a lot of talk about the rear brake, right? Adding to that angle.

But on second thought, maybe I'll just put a heading for clarification. (You know I'm all about being crystal clear.
rolleyes.gif
)
At slow speeds, as I understand it...the AE rider keeps his engine speed up, while modulating his forward speed with the rear brake...letting the FJR AE computer modulate the clutch. So at slow u-turns, combined rear brake application and throttle application are required. Unless I have totally misread the AE operations, you must use rear brake for slow speed small radius U-turns.

...At slow speeds, as I understand it...the AE rider keeps his engine speed up, while modulating his forward speed with the rear brake...letting the FJR AE computer modulate the clutch. So at slow u-turns, combined rear brake application and throttle application are required. Unless I have totally misread the AE operations, you must use rear brake for slow speed small radius U-turns.
It's not quite that simple. What you are trying to avoid is the situation where you ease the throttle off so much that the clutch disengages altogether. Instant bike-drop. This can happen whether you are using a slipping clutch or a fully engaged clutch, but the latter is more dangerous.
So, keeping the back brake dragging means you always need positive throttle, this is easier to deal with than the very fine throttle control you would need without the brake. It is possible to do this without the brake, but (at least in my experience) it is much harder.

I've a feeling the Gen III may be less prone to this total clutch disengagement problem, but I've yet to do the experiment. Which I shall first do in a straight line ;) .

I appreciate all the input. From what I'm reading, the consensus is that use some revs, above 1300 (like I'd have time to look t the tach) to keep the clutch engaged, while using the rear brake to control speed and lean angle. Is there anyone riding an AE that uses this technique?

Latest posts