The NAFO4 Rally Rallye

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
Announcing the NAFO4 Rally Rallye

Rally ra-lê
Function: verb
1: a mass meeting intended to arouse group enthusiasm like NAFO4

2: also ral·lye [French rallye, from English 1rally] : a motorcycle competition using public roads and ordinary traffic rules with the object of gathering the most points in a specified amount of time over a route unknown to the participants until the start of the event

So it's a Rallye at a Rally hence the name The Rally Rallye.

A rally format is perfect for exploring the area all around La Crosse. The region is so saturated with great roads its hardly necessary to put together a planned route. I've run several rallies in this area and always found it to be great fun to just let the GPS take me from point to point taking what ever roads it throws at me.

My intent is to make this as fun as possible, while introducing you to the twisted sport of rallying in a format that will be good for the rally virgins. That doesn't mean I will be easy on you! To the contrary I intend to be very strict at the scoring table very much in the Team Strange tradition. You learn from your mistakes not from me going easy on you.

The Rallye will be on Friday and will be 8 hours long.

I will need a minimum of 10 riders entered or I will need to cancel the Rallye, don't make me do this.

Entry fee will be $20 any moneys left over will be spent on food and drinks, not necessarily in that order.

Deadline for entries will be 9/1/2014

One significant change from previous RRs only the Novice class will receive their rally packs in advance. Those in the Expert class will get theirs Friday AM at the riders meeting.

For more details go here Rally Ralley Info Central

What the heck is he talking about?? See previous discussions here and here. Go here and here to see what happened and how some people approached the rallye.

Don't need anymore convincing?? Then sign up, Registration Form here

If you ran the Rally Rallye in past years year and haven't run any other rallies since I'll still let you run in the Novice class.

IN;

Airboss
griff
Mr Bill
Allen_C
Turvy
CraigRegs
Intech
TripperMike
Geezer
Tyler
mnrider
El Toro Joe
Top_Speed1
zorno60
Powerhouse
Northwoods Snowman

Tanker

Tanker's Better Half

dsbiker

Last edited by a moderator:
IN!
clapping.gif

Why not? There is no better way to tour SW Wisconsin.

Besides I seem to have developed a taste for stinky, sweaty, cheese curds since that first rally rallye.

Some folks aren't familiar with the Bonus Rally concept here's a brief description of what to expect;

A bonus rally is like a scavenger hunt, almost. In a scavenger hunt it doesn't matter where your get your treasures from just get them. In a bonus rally your given places to go and your need to sometimes collect an item from that place but you must get it from THAT place. There are other ways to prove you were there but the essence is about riding there. First off the riders are given a list of places to go, a long list more places than possible in the time allotted, in this case 8 hours. Each one of those places has a point value basically the more difficult to get to the greater the point value. The rider with the highest point value collected is usually the winner. Also each of the places has an assignment to prove you were there like take a picture of a your bike in front of a sign for a restaurant or answer a question like what are the Sunday hours of that restaurant or get a receipt from that restaurant. But if your told to get a receipt and you come back with a picture of your bike you don't get the points, bummer. First off it's about planning a route next it's about ridding that route and finally it's about getting proper proof that you were there.

Bonuses are usually the odd and eclectic roadside attractions maybe a grave site or a landmark, an overlook, a unique store, historical markers, places like the sand paper museum, the boyhood home of Larwance Welk. Sometimes it not all about the destination it's about the road that takes you to these places.

Bonus rallies are usually put on by folks in the Long Distance or endurance riding community so they've been associated with long hard rides. Most of these rallies are 24 to 48 hours or even several days long up to and including the Iron Butt Rally which is 11 days long. So these events are often associated with long hard rides and to win these events that's what you need to do. But what a lot people don't realize is that there are a shorter events maybe 12 hours long that don't need a bunch special farkles to fit in or to be competitive. This rally will be even shorter at 8 hours so it will fit better into the normal program of the NAFO4 Rally. So nobody needs to get up at 4:00 AM or miss dinner with some one who's not in the rally.

Sounds fun and I should be in. Novice category here I come!

A few subjects that could be beneficial to brush up on...

Bob Dylan

i-rLPsmKT-L.jpg

Serial killers

i-XVff7Lj-L.jpg

60's game show hosts

i-FWDGpBB-L.jpg

and it just wouldn't be the Rally Rallye without some LIW

i-Z3DHpgh-L.jpg