A Ride with Mom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharif

Reaction score
There was a fair bit of fog this morning when I woke up. The sky was looking more optimistic by 9 or so, so my plan to take Mom for a short ride was looking good. There was a chance of scattered showers, but they were pretty slim. A short ride indeed, up to Buchanan, Michigan, in search of cinnamon roll perfection.

Now, Mom used to say "over my dead body" when it came to motorcycles and me. She has evolved, and I've given her short (4 mile) rides before. Buchanan is about a 20 minute ride. I planned a route along back roads where we could just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

I buzzed over and picked up Mom. Being slightly claustrophobic, getting a helmet on is one of those things that sort of freaks her out. I have to say, I am super proud of her - she didn't faint, not even once! Here she is, all geared up and looking ready to ride. Notice the smile. Nothing brings out that smile in people better than a motorcycle.

IMG_3917.JPG

After flipping the rear shock to firm, we saddled up and rolled out. For me, this wasn't about lean angles or acceleration, iron butts or riding in the moonlight. It was about smooth shifts, low revs, and surfing the torque of that big 1300 cc engine while enjoying the sunshine, tall corn, low beans, and absence of traffic.

A short hop later found us in Buchanan, safe and sound:

IMG_3918.JPG

My wife told me about a place called the Coward Café, which is supposed to have amazing coffee and cinnamon rolls in the morning, with pizza available in the evening. It seemed as reasonable a destination as any for a Sunday morning putter.

The place is pretty nondescript from the outside. Inside, true to its spartan appearance, is a spartan menu:

IMG_3921.JPG

Mom was surprised - she thought we were going out for breakfast and was all excited to get a waffle. Instead, we rolled with it, ordered a pour over for her and a cold brew for me, a pair of cinnamon rolls, and sat down at the long communal table:

IMG_3919.JPG

Oh my goodness, what a treat for the senses! To call these cinnamon rolls is borderline insulting. Made with croissant dough, they are flaky, caramelized, triangular points of buttery perfection. Absolutely incredible. So good, in fact, that I ordered a second one...

IMG_3920.JPG

The coffee was top notch as well - my friend Blake would love this place:

IMG_3923.JPG

After an unhurried hour or so, it was time to get on with our Sunday. We suited up:

IMG_3924.JPG

Saddled up:

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

and were ready to roll out:

IMG_3930.JPG

We took a different route on the way home, and on the way, saw a turkey vulture wheeling and a VHF Omnidirectional Range Ground Station in a field. There is so much to explore, even on short rides!

I must be the luckiest man in the world. Not only do I have an amazing wife and kids, I have an amazing Mom who is willing to just get out there and experience the joys of motorcycling. We had an absolutely great time together. I'm so glad I suggested it, and I'm so glad she accepted!

Mom's smile of pure joy, of child-like wonder, of being alive is one I will remember for a long time. I have to say, I have one cool Mom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up and pictures. I lost my Mum 3 years ago. She was 87. Never did ride with me, but had no problem with me buying a Honda S90 when I was 15 and several other bikes before I left home..Memories like those you have related will be with you the rest of your life. Ciao.

Awesome story! My mom just passed away in April and never once rode with me. Motorcycles scared her to death and she never really did get used to the idea that I was going to ride them as much as I have.She always worried about my wife and I riding but she always asked about our trips and really did enjoy hearing the stories of the places we'd been and the great people we've met. Count yourself lucky that you get to share this time with her and cherish every ride that she goes along.

Sharif,

This little report, after your BBG, shows that you have you are very well 'rounded. Sharing time with parents is very special and I'm glad for you that you took the time and shared the experience with us. Those photos tell a great story. I love her smile.

Richard

Thanks all - if you are lucky enough to still have your parents, make an excuse to get them out of the routine and do something unexpected. Motorcycles, of course, are a great vehicle for that, but aren't essential. Dad passed in high school, and, well, it's just a Good Thing to be able to make Mom smile like that. It's all about the smile!

Being a Mom, she of course worries when I go riding. Especially the long distance stuff, where I'm exploring what I'm capable of. That said, she's really mellowed over time and retains the adventurous spirit that found her emigrating from Italy to Brazil to the US, learning new languages along the way, and making a new life for herself.

I like to think of myself as adventurous and getting out there. It all pales in comparison to the resiliency, resourcefulness, and determination Mom has exhibited time and again during her life. Let's see, I've lived in a couple different states (though I did spend a year in Italy) - Mom's lived in Italy, Brazil, Beirut, and the US.

One cool lady indeed!

Thanks for sharing your story, great read. Like some others, my mom never rode with me and worried when I was going for a ride but always told me to have a good time and be careful. Also, that's a great looking bike you've got !

Great RR...just don't let BeemerDon near your mom
rolleyes.gif
Sharif: Thank you very much for an outstanding Ride Report, with Great Photographs! My Mom Veda is now 93 years old and is sadly bedridden, but up until age 88 I took her riding with me regularly. Here is a writeup I did for www.azbeemers.org on "Riding with Family!".

====================================================================================================

My Mom was an Indian Moto rider all the way, she owned both a Pony 30.5 cubic inch V-Twin and a Scout 45 cubic inch V-Twin; plus, she could kick start and ride my Father Ed Stanley's Indian Four Cylinder - I saw here do it as a youngster! Another amazing fact about my Mom Veda, she had never operated a motorcycle with a hand clutch and foot shift; she only knew how to ride with a foot clutch and hand tank shift, she would not ride my Uncle Drew's, her own Brother's, Triumph Thunderbirds because she thought that a hand clutch was for sissies!

Scan130860002.jpg

Great RR...just don't let BeemerDon near your mom
rolleyes.gif
Sharif: Thank you very much for an outstanding Ride Report, with Great Photographs! My Mom Veda is now 93 years old and is sadly bedridden, but up until age 88 I took her riding with me regularly. Here is a writeup I did for www.azbeemers.org on "Riding with Family!".

====================================================================================================

My Mom was an Indian Moto rider all the way, she owned both a Pony 30.5 cubic inch V-Twin and a Scout 45 cubic inch V-Twin; plus, she could kick start and ride my Father Ed Stanley's Indian Four Cylinder - I saw here do it as a youngster! Another amazing fact about my Mom Veda, she had never operated a motorcycle with a hand clutch and foot shift; she only knew how to ride with a foot clutch and hand tank shift, she would not ride my Uncle Drew's, her own Brother's, Triumph Thunderbirds because she thought that a hand clutch was for sissies!

Scan130860002.jpg
Totally cool, I love it!

My father wanted nothing to do with murdercycles, but we often rode up to visit him in Maine.

He became totally blind by the time he was 70. He passed away 6 years ago at 85. That's my son on his YZF600R behind us on the XS750F.

Tempus fugit; do it now.

My father wanted nothing to do with murdercycles, but we often rode up to visit him in Maine.

He became totally blind by the time he was 70. He passed away 6 years ago at 85. That's my son on his YZF600R behind us on the XS750F.

Tempus fugit; do it now.
Awesome shot! Where in Maine? My mom-in-law grew up near Rangeley, we try and get there every other year. My heavens, those roads are made for motorcycles...haven't made it out that way on the FJR.

Yet.