How do you remove Gen3 Upper Dash Panel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
So, I dropped my '14ES a month or so ago when at a stand still and my right mirror mount is a little loose. I want to pull the upper panel to check the mount and hopefully just tighten it down. I've searched all through here and looked at the how to on fjrtech, but could not find anything explaining how to remove the upper panel on a Gen3.

Has anyone here had to get into this panel? It looks like one quick faster and one screw on each side holds it in place and the headlight adjust knobs also need to be removed. Anything else? Does the battery panel need to be removed too to access the mirror mount?

Thanks!

It can be scary to remove because it seems as tho it will break. I think you have identified all the fasteners that need to be removed, now wrestle it off. If I recall correctly, it is best to disengage the top with all it's tabs first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little writeup.

Just remove the 4 screws and 2 push pins and go for it, just be careful.

I used wooden pegs to help keep the plastics separated and to apply a bit of constant pressure.

Link

IMAG0337.jpg

So, I dropped my '14ES a month or so ago when at a stand still and my right mirror mount is a little loose. I want to pull the upper panel to check the mount and hopefully just tighten it down. I've searched all through here and looked at the how to on fjrtech, but could not find anything explaining how to remove the upper panel on a Gen3.
Has anyone here had to get into this panel? It looks like one quick faster and one screw on each side holds it in place and the headlight adjust knobs also need to be removed. Anything else? Does the battery panel need to be removed too to access the mirror mount?

Thanks!
Your handbook tells you how to remove the right-hand panel, needed to get at fuses.

Something like:

(Click on image for larger view)

(These from the handbook of the UK 2014 FJR1300AS, fuse arrangement slightly different from yours.)

On a Gen II it's easy to make a tool to bolt to the mirror mounting screw holes and simply straighten the frame, just get a piece of metal, drill two holes the same spacing as the mirror mounting holes, bolt them on (with spacers to clear the plastic).

Did this on my '06 (after an incident), mine needed more plastic off than yours!

I don't know if it's as easy on the Gen III. Let us know how you get on, pics if possible.

[edit]

A phone snapshot of the area on my '14 as delivered from Yamaha to the dealer, it's different from the Gen II, but should straighten just the same.

[/edit]

I got it pried off enough on the right side to get to the mirror mount. I basically used Ken's info, but not the wooden clips since mine stayed fairly separate once I got the tabs detached. The top part was easy but the lower right corner of the panel was difficult to separate without feeling like I was going to break the pieces.

Upon looking at the mirror mount I found out what the problem was - Yamaha forgot to install the nut on the bottom mirror bolt! Only the top one was in place but apparently loosened up a bit from the impact of the bike falling on the mirror and frame slider. I had a nut and washer that fit and all is good again! Oh, the plastics go back together much easier than when you try to take them apart.
smile.png

Thanks for the help and hope anyone else who needs to get to the mirrors find this helpful or feel free to PM me.

Seems that link is not working G-Man.....

I can't even get to it with the title via google !?!??!

I prefer a more controlled approach. Wiggling two connected pieces to a point that one thinks something will break is not my idea of smart maintenance. I did not need any pry tools but instead used specific proportional force to separate the black dash from the red front fairing.

I prefer a more controlled approach. Wiggling two connected pieces to a point that one thinks something will break is not my idea of smart maintenance. I did not need any pry tools but instead used specific proportional force to separate the black dash from the red front fairing.
questionmark.gif
questionmark.gif
Specific proportional force?
questionmark.gif
questionmark.gif
questionmark.gif

Not to worry - I’ve done it several times and never had any concern about breaking something. In fact I feel more confident doing the “twist” method than trying to pry the pieces apart (maybe prying is specific proportional force…?).

:questionmark: :questionmark:Specific proportional force? :questionmark: :questionmark: :questionmark:

Not to worry - I’ve done it several times and never had any concern about breaking something. In fact I feel more confident doing the “twist” method than trying to pry the pieces apart (maybe prying is specific proportional force…?).
LOL. What I mean by that is carefully working my hands and fingers from the center of the dash down to the side and separating the plastics along the way with leverage and fingers pushing tabs apart.

I've had mine off about 5 times now trying to install different mirror brackets & extenders for my Kristas. One of the bottoms tabs broke off the first time I removed it from too much angle-of-the-dangle but fortunately it doesn't affect its ability to go snuggly back on. It'll be coming off a 6th time this weekend when I try a different set of light brackets.

John, I was just wondering about your dash project. Did you figure out what was wrong?

I got the sumbitch off without breaking anything. Used some plastic interior panel body tools to pry and assist in the removal. What a goat rope.

She sits in the garage now while I ponder the question of whether or not to turn in an insurance claim for the damage?