SPOT/SPOTWALLA Advice and Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
Bear with me, I am new to SPOT, as in 4 days ago I picked up my SPOT unit. So far I have the unit working. I can see myself on the findmespot(SPOT) maps page. Beyond this is where I need your advice and help.

I have created a Shared Page in SPOT that I am using as the data source for my SPOTWALLA(SW) maps. I have that page set as Private and have a password on it. I have linked that page to a trip I have created in SW. I have given SW the password for that page when I setup my account in SW.

Here are my questions. I want to have the SW page I have created for the Radman 1000 to be available to link to here on the forum. I have set that page up with no password and have it currently set as PRIVATE and no password for it. I have it set to start Friday morning and end Friday nite. Will this page keep my track after it expires and still be viewable? Or does my expiration date make it go into the internet bit bucket? I would like to have this page stay around as part of my documentation for my SS1000 for the IBA and anyone linking on it from the Radman 1000 thread.

I also have a second page setup for my family. It is basically the same page but is set as PRIVATE with a password. I have this page setup for the entire period of my trip so my family can keep tabs on my location for the entire time. Can I use the same SPOT page as my source for this map or do I need a second page dedicated in SPOT for this one?

Any other advice you can give me on making sure these things work right away for me would be appreciated.

Not sure I understand all that I read here, but I think you are making things more complex by having anything private/password protected. Why? What harm can come of anyone knowing where some unidentified person is? I assume your page does not show your actual name or address. I doubt that Spot pages are a source of info for thieves.

Can I use the same SPOT page as my source for this map or do I need a second page dedicated in SPOT for this one?
No, I believe you need to create two separate SPOTWalla instances for the trip. Share the non-passworded subset with one group of people and the larger one with password to friends and family. I've used this before as a means to turn off public view (in case I was possibly going to win the IBR or some big rally that competitors might try and follow me).

I take this principal one step further and have an uber SPOTWalla page I share with Mom that has the whole year in it.

I think I have it done right based on what Iggy wrote. I have my SPOT page password protected and that password propagated to SpotWalla so it can get the data. I then have 2 "trips" in SpotWalla. One is Private with no password for the Radman 1000 portion of the trip. The other is Private with a password for the entirety of my trip for family and close friends. I think the Private part of SW is so it doesn't show up in searches on SW.

Does anyone know if the trip and track will still be around after the trip "expires"?

I am an oldster getting the hang of this technology...some of it I really like.

Does anyone know if the trip and track will still be around after the trip "expires"?
Yes. All the data from SPOT is actually fed and retained by SPOTWalla regardless of whether you set up a trip or not. Setting up a SPOTWalla trip just turns the light on for a certain time span of data. You could even create another trip after the fact...a technique I sometime use for trip reports to highlight a very specific window of time.