Can "tallish" people ride an FJR comfortably?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMule

Reaction score
I currently ride an R1150RT and am very comfortable. Not thrilled with all the electronics on the

new R12RTs, as well as their reputation for reliability, so I'm considering an FJR.

I'm 6'3" and I've heard that the FJR isn't "tall" friendly due to the riding position.

I know, I know, go sit on one.... but I'd like to hear from FJR owners that are over 6' to see if it's doable.

I'm sure I can find bar risers, and possiblly peg lowering kits, but I don't want to bastardize the bike

too much.

Just wanted to get some opinions from this learned group.

Bill

I'm 6'3" or 6'4" (depending on the boots), and have never had a problem on the FJR. To me, it just fits. I ride with the seat in the low position, no risers, no peg lowering kits.

Just did a BBG - stock seat and stock screen. No problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard from several tailish people that it's not as bad as it looks. I'm sure a set of highway pegs would help. I hope it works for you. This is a great bike.

I"m 6'1" with a 36" inseam and have ridden my FJR many thousands of miles without problems. A custom seat made a world of difference, but if I were to do it again, I'd get it built up a bit more to increase the footpeg to seat distance. Rode mine without bar risers, but I like a little more aggressive forward seating position so it wasn't a problem.

I'm 6'4" and seemed to have squeezed out over 225,000 on two of them so far and now adding miles to a new one. I had some lowering pegs for a couple of seasons, but after a Russell I didn't put them back on. I do like my highway pegs to alter leg position occasionally.

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I find the FJR quite comfortable and even more so with my new Russell Day Long seat (it seems to create a slightly more "open" knee angle). No bar risers or other modifications. I've done 8-hour days on the bike without discomfort (much of the credit for that goes to the Russell).

I think some taller people like a taller wind screen (either the Yammy touring screen or a 3rd party offering), which I guess I can understand since in the highest screen position I get some air brushing the top of my helmet (no big deal for me though).

If you have any doubts see if you can rent/borrow/steal one for at least a day - in my experience many (dis)comfort issues can take several hours to show themselves.

6'3" and I have bar risers. Seat in higher position. A little more seat to peg room would be nice but no problems to speak of in 115,000 miles.

I'm 6'3" and I'm perfectly comfortable on the FJR with the seat height in either position. No bar risers, pegs etc.

I'm definitely going to have to stop by the Yamaha dealer this week. I really do like the

reliability issue with the FJR.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Bill

I am 6', 33 inseam, so I am the short one here
smile.png
Russel seat, highway pegs, tallest Cee Bailey windshield, bar risers, not triple tree replacement, my legs do feel a little crapmped after several hours, gonna try lowering the footpegs when I can, may look into the triple tree to come back a little more. Stock seat is an upholstered brick for me.

Garauld on this forum makes mounting plates for highway pegs--from Wild Bill's design, I think, but WB left us a couple years ago. The pegs he used to supply, and I guess Garauld still sells, come straight out off the plates, but I added a set of offset extenders (from Kuryakin) that set the pegs a bit farther out from the fairings (much more comfortable--I could only get my boot on the outer tip of the stock peg) and also, with the 90o extension, let you move the peg a couple inches farther forward. Best setup I've seen. (Yes, you can get the oil filter off without any disassembly.)

IMG_2205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'1" and have done two Iron Butt rides on my 2004 FJR with no problems. I traded that bike recently for a new FJR . Love the platform.

My son is 6'4" and has a FJR too.

6' 1" and the Helibar risers on my '05 are saving my back compared to the 2 months without!

6' 1" here, 33 inseam.

Sitting on a stock FJR with stock risers, the knee angle wasn't too bad, but I did feel like my foot angle was too acute on the rear brake and shifter. This will likely need to be adjusted for me, but it's not too bad. I would probably do what others did with peg lowering and a slightly taller seat.

Honestly, one of the things that I like about the FJR is the lower position, and it's rather svelte width.

6' 2-1/2" in bare feet. Everything stock, seat in high position. Have done several 700 mile days, with no real issues. Would prefer a shorter windshield, due to the dirty/clean air line being right at the base of my helmet. Have the beginnings of arthritis (I'm 57 years old), and the leg position isn't really a problem. I also have a Honda sportbike, (98 SuperHawk) and it's only comfortable for an hour or so at a time, mostly due to neck and knees. Not much you'll need to do to an FJR. Good luck!

6' 4", with a 35" inseam. Using the Heli triple clamp, Wild Bill's pegs, and a beadrider over a stock seat. In warm weather, i use the OEM shield and swap in the biggest Cal Sci for cooler weather. Leg room used to give me a problem with an old injury to my left knee but, since it was replaced, I've been comfortable. If I were interested in 500+ mile days, I'd be looking into a Russell Day-Long. Go ahead, pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

6'2 with less than a 32" inseam here, so I'm all torso. Bought a tall windscreen, RDL Seat, and upgraded the suspension to accommodate my big ass. I've done 300+ mile days before, no issues with comfort.

6'2 with 34 inseam. Ergonomics are good for me with the seat in the high position and the bars in back position. I have the Yamaha touring screen and I do get some buffeting with it all the way up. Although I used a Shoei GT Air yesterday at it made a big differancy over my RF1100. I have placed an order with Laam for a new seat.

6'2 with 34 inseam. Ergonomics are good for me with the seat in the high position and the bars in back position. I have the Yamaha touring screen and I do get some buffeting with it all the way up. Although I used a Shoei GT Air yesterday at it made a big differancy over my RF1100. I have placed an order with Laam for a new seat.
You'll love Laam. He did a really nice job with my Tiger.

Glad you mentioned the GT-Air. That's the lid I wear and I've learned it has some...unique...aerodynamic characteristics on certain bikes.