If this is the Answer, What was the Question?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
slingshot-876.jpg

The three-wheeled Slingshot is a daring new machine, seemingly crafted from DNA drawn from Polaris’ extensive recreation-focused portfolio of ATVs, motorcycles, side-by-sides, and snowmobiles. The result is a street machine that blurs the lines between cars and motorcycles.

Targeted at thrill seekers and those who crave a bit more safety than a motorcycle provides, the Slingshot wraps edgy, anime-like body panels around a tube-framed chassis. Up front is a double-wishbone suspension with coil-over shocks and a sway bar. Out back is a single aluminum swing arm.

Power comes from a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine delivering 173 hp to the rear wheel. The driver commands the distinctive machine with a power-assisted steering wheel and rows the five gears with a manual shifter.

Although it is driven like a car, a motorcycle license will be needed to drive it in your state, along with a helmet. It is not a car, and as such, it does not meet crash test standards nor include air bags. That said, the $19,999 Slingshot comes with several key automotive conveniences, such as the lateral seating, stability control, antilock brakes, and a glove box.

The SL trim adds a wind screen, larger wheels, and entertainment system, with Bluetooth connectivity and a backup camera. Price for the SL is a hefty $23,999.

The Slingshot is strictly a topless roadster, making it a fair-weather ride. But, just in case, the seats are waterproof and there are lockable bins in the rear for storage.

Tipping the scales at over 1,700 lbs., the Slingshot outweighs the increasingly popular, three-wheeled Can-Am Spyder by about 700 lbs. It also stretches 45 inches longer, putting the size more on par with a Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Slingshot is a few inches wider than that beloved roadster, and the wheelbase is likewise greater.

Ultimately, this is a unique creation—one that promises to deliver an inimitable thrill ride when it goes on sale this fall.

Although legally it is a motorcycle, it is actually a three wheeled sports car. At 1725 pounds and 173 HP it should be a lot of fun to drive. And it is relatively inexpensive. However, considering that you still have to gear up to drive it, and it has less storage capacity than my FJR, I would rather drive a 4 wheeled roadster for a little more money so I can drive it in a t-shirt, put the top up when it rains, and carry my golf clubs when I need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is,

"How do we strip young upwardly mobile professionals of money, when they are askeered of riding a motorcycle for $200, Alex?"

Targeted at thrill seekers and those who crave a bit more safety than a motorcycle provides, the Slingshot wraps edgy, anime-like body panels around a tube-framed chassis.
Or

I'd go with the Ariel Atom too if money was not an object. The Atom has a base of $56k vs. the Slingshot at $20K

Get the loaded SL Slingshot for $24k and spend $2.6K on a supercharger for the 2.4L and a race slick for the rear.
smile.png

That would be some fun days on a twisty road or the track.... If you have some extra fun money.

slingshot-876.jpg

Tipping the scales at over 1,700 lbs., the Slingshot outweighs the increasingly popular, three-wheeled Can-Am Spyder by about 700 lbs. It also stretches 45 inches longer, putting the size more on par with a Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Slingshot is a few inches wider than that beloved roadster, and the wheelbase is likewise greater.
I know it's a little big, but Batman is a tall guy, remember. And there's plenty of room for Robin.

Doesn't blur the line for me......it's a 3 wheel car; with a steering wheel and seat belts.

Quite sure it will provide a ton of fun and speedy excitement.

While it appears it would be fun to drive, I feel it looks gimmicky. As though it was slapped together,without much thought, to get on the next installment of the "Mad Max" series. Not something I would ever consider, but to each their own.

And here's the video

Oh and Looks like it has a freakin GM ecotech 4 popper motor..... ugh....

Hope they aren't using GM's ignition switch
weirdsmiley.gif

I was at a gas station in Swan Valley ID several years ago and there was an ariel atom sitting there. Two old rather portly 1%er's finally got in after a small crowd formed and they drove off like a grandma heading to church, heading back over the hill to house #6 in Jackson WY. It was so disappointing....

After that I've only lusted for the KTM X-Bow...

ktm_x-bow_r_4f200221bdb7a.jpg

And here's the video
<video of an over matched rear tire and lots of body roll removed>

Oh and Looks like it has a freakin GM ecotech 4 popper motor..... ugh....

Hope they aren't using GM's ignition switch
weirdsmiley.gif
Indeedie, it is an ecotech. And, I hope the ignition switch isn't a Gen II also.

"Thrill seekers who crave a bit more safety..." Translation: "Pussies who are too stupid or too scared to ride a motorcycle but have money burning holes in their pockets."

When I'm thrill seeking, I'm usually doing some thing that would get me in TROUBLE at work. Unless it's on the lake, on the horse, or on the dirt bike. Lol...

So how do you farkle one of these things?

Just ask Yoenis Cespedes when he shows up for Spring Training.
dirol.gif

image.JPG

asi-polaris-slingshot-nueva-adquisicion-cespedes-1456253583623.jpg

So how do you farkle one of these things?

Just ask Yoenis Cespedes when he shows up for Spring Training.
dirol.gif
Ya, I saw that in the news this morning up here in Red Sux country. I'm surprised his contract allows him to ride/drive something like this.

A couple of weeks ago I actually had a chance to see one of these, em, err, things, sit in it and go vroom, vroom. It's big, heavy, not handsome and the one wheel drive is powered by a GM Ecotec 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine which is not motorcycle slim 'n trim. For the money, I can think of several better alternatives.

Here it is hanging out with its brethren:

Polaris-Slingshot-312-876x535.jpg

I think it looks better when it goes all Ariel Atom on us:

Polaris-Slingshot-329-876x535.jpg

Hater's gonna Hate
smile.png

Not my cup of tea, but allows you to haul the O2 bottle and the CPAP and the walker.

Does someone make a Trailer Hitch for one of these things?

Three point Hitch?