Heli Riser Bridge first impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verranth

Reaction score
So, apart from (finally) changing out my brake fluids and doing another oil change, I also installed my Heli Riser Bridge!

Technically, I did it last week, but due to aforementioned service items, I decided to keep it in the garage until everything got done.

Heli Riser Bridge - on a 2009 FJR

Installation notes:

Over all, the install wasnt that bad at all. The only thing to note is that you do have to cut the metal retainer in order to get the cables out of the loop when removing the factory bar retainer plate. Putting in the bolts and nut on the new bridge was also a bit tricky. I had to make 2 trips to Home Depot in order to get replacement washers and again for replacement nuts.

Why, you ask?

Because I was too careless and lost them somewhere in the plastic. Placing some rags underneath would have helped. Actually, it did help, but only after losing the parts in the first place.

Riding notes:

I rode into work today (36 miles) and it took almost an hour. The 1 inch raised is very nice, though I think i would have hardly noticed. Moving the bars back almost the full 3 inches on the other hand...Wonderful! I did not notice any additional vibration on the handle bars, and the beast still corners fairly well.

Turning - yes, it does take a little more to corner. However, it's really not bad, as I'm used to leaning with my hips more. So I'm not laying down a whole lot of force on the handle bars. I'll update this more when I get a chance to drive more aggressively.

Speaking of leaning with hips, I also got the Corbin saddle. Combining this saddle with the riser bridge has transformed the bike significantly for the better. I'm 5'7" with slightly shorter arms (32/33 - more on the 32 side). I'm now sitting on the Corbin with my butt all the way back, as it should be. And, when cornering, it just feels very natural to let the lower extremities provide a lot of the turning force. I'm not sure if this is good practice, but it makes for a very comfortable ride.

I cant wait to see how much more comfortable I'll be when I get an all day saddle (Russel).

Back to the bridge...

The bridge can be adjusted, as others have said, between the range specified. It is not 3 distinct settings. I believe others have compared it to the MV plate. There are markings (2) on the bridge to help you set each bars evenly. I have chosen to put mine just shy of the rear-most setting.

I was able to do the install (minus the time it took for the HD field trips) in about 2 hours.

Wrist -

I'm almost, or basically at, the stock angles, just 2.7 inches further back. There is no improvement on the angles there, so my hands fall in the same way that they always have. However, I never had much of an issue with that, and my wrists did not hurt often. Today, there was no pain on my wrists, and it felt even better as my hands do not take the weight of my upper body. Moving the bars back and the 1inch height is probably the biggest factors here. And so far, it's been great!

Hands -

No additional buzzing as I said before. No numb feelings as of yet. But my commute is not lengthy, when compared to many here who do weekend excursions.

Back, waist, and Butt - not a function of the bridge directly, but I do feel more weight on my butt- a good thing! It's letting me know and confirms what I feel. My hands are not taking all that weight. My back is also glad of the new position.

Overall - It's one of the best farkles I've spent my money on. A new seat, this bridge, and the highway pegs really make this bike supremely comfy. Do yourself a favor, and get one of these. Yes, the sporty feeling is a trade-off. But you only trade in about half of the sporty feeling (subjective opinion). To me, that's a trade I am happy to make.

About me: 5'7" , shorter arms (32 length), 200 lbs.(yikes! - I'm working on lowering this number). Oh, and I'm 29in inseam.

It is worth noting that if the bars are rotated forward on the bridge not only does it open up the angle, it makes the bars wider. The extra width allows more leverage and therefore less effort is required for turn input.

Pop also felt the extra weight transfer and that has resulted in the need for a true Custom Seat.

I'm on the fence about mine. I like the rise but feel like the bars are too far back even when I have them rotated fully forward. The riding position feels much less sporty than stock, IMO. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, 225#. The bridge may end up for sale...

Thanks for the review. I was waffling on this because I don't want to lose my steering head nut tech mount. But this last trip (2500km) pretty much made the decision for me. The onset of old age has my left elbow squaking at me loudly after a full day of riding.

Ok, so I've had more time with this bar. I am really enjoying it. Like I said before, I'm on the short side, both in inseam and in arms. For you shorter guys, this is really a nice addition. The turns are a bit different, and there is some loss of sportiness, but (subjective comment) probably less so than my taller counter parts. I've actually been able to lean more now than before. It's really strange, and I dont know why this has happened. Maybe I'm just getting more comfortable with the setup. Either way, this farkle is staying on my FJR.

The little extender for the brake line is a bit goofy looking, but it works. When I have nothing else useful to add, I will probably get a longer cable.

I have the stock windshield. The wind issue isnt all that different from before. I ordered a CalSi 21 +2, hopefully this will take care of the wind noise.

Funny how one change will necessitate the need for more changes. Changing the handlebar position means a different windshield because now you sit up straighter and further back. Because you are sitting differently now you need a different seat. Because your bike is more comfortable and it has new stuff on it you have to ride it more. Does it ever end?

We wound up with (FINALLY!) a Cee Bailey +2 +2 reverse contour in light gray tint.

What really amazes me is that when I chose the FJR I thought it was the most wonderful thing to ever roll on two wheels. As I rode it home the seat and riding position seemed like perfection. I really did not want to deliver the bike to its rightful owner but I knew Dad would be pissed if his brand new bike were not home when he got there. Looking back now at all the little changes we made to the FJR one might almost conclude it was a POS.

On one hand I hope the ergonomic changes are about done on Dad's bike. On the other hand, it really is kind of fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for review. I'm considering the bridge as well. Thing is I've got the old heli triple clamp solution now. The bars are in the most rearward of the two options on the TC. I feel like I want an inch closer and wider position. Can anyone share a comparison of the two - the heli bar bridge and the heli bar triple clamp?

Yes indeed Redfish, much appreciated. Best picture of the riser I've seen yet. I can actually estimate rise and back distance relative to forks and tank. After comparing to the triple clamp I've got I should have my answer.

Heli bars sales pitch for the triple clamp included a claim that the double,pinch point and heavier construction of their clamp assembly would reduce felt vibration in handlebars. Does that claim make any sense? Or perhaps I should ask if you have any issue with vibration using the stock triple clamp.

Thanks again.

Vibration? Seriously there is not enough vibration on this bike to even notice. I have only ridden the bike a few miles since I installed the bridge and that was to evaluate a new windshield. Pop has not ever complained of vibration.

The wider, flatter bar angle was very pleasant to me, perhaps even more than the extra setback.

Now, go read the PM I sent you. Please.

Roger on the PM.

To be clear on this i am not having an issue with vibration. I am new to the FJR and have never ridden one with stock triple clamp. HeliBars propoganda put the concern over excessive vibration with stock triple clamp in my head and i thought i would vet it with someone who knows the answer. This forum seemd like a good place to do that. Just a question - no complaints. And thanks for the answer.

That said, flatter and wider sounds like what im after. I compared your picture to to my set up this morning and it looks like the riser is a little farther back than the replacement triple clamp so im putting it on the farkle list. Now for the funding...

Just a friendly warning:

1) This will make it impossible to lift the gas tank on its rear pivot point. You will have to remove the rear thru bolt and pull the entire tank because the front of the tank will no longer clear the bars.

2) Windshield replacement becomes a fact. You sit up straighter and further back. You will find flaws in your original setup.

3) The seat. You will sit differently. This may work in your favor, it may not.

4) Oil changes. They will need to be done more frequently.

I went through 3 windshields trying to fine-tune Pop's wind management. Or to be accurate, to balance the wind management/good looks equation. He wants the thing to look good as well.

Oh, and I am sorry if I sounded snappy about vibration. My tolerance for whine has lessened lately... My compliments to anyone who asks a legitimate question in an appropriate venue.

Thanks for the warnings!

1) didnt know about the gas tank - something to consider

2) Ive got a vstream now that i have to stand up to see over when its all the way up so i think i'll be ok. Im coming from a Vstrom so i'm already so far ahead on the looks department with the FJR that any wind screen is beautiful
rolleyes.gif

3) im waiting to decide on seat mods for exactly this reason - I've lived this particular sequence before

4) yeah buddy! thumbs up on the oil changes, riding is the whole point - yes?

no worries, I've been lurking for a bit to learn the basics of the forum character and the forum characters. Thanks again for the info - much appreciated