2014 FJR 'A' or 'ES'? decision time...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to the Yamaha Demo Truck day last Fri to test drive the FJR-1300. However, only the FJR1300-A was available for my time slot. This was the 1st time I rode a FJR.

My current bike is a Honda 1100XX aka Blackbird. Last time I dyno'ed it (several years ago) it made 135 hp / 80 lb.ft torque at the rear wheel. It weights about 550 lbs wet. It's my daily driver and week-long touring bike (500-mile days kind of trips.)

I like a more modern bike with ABS, traction control, more upright position, cruise control etc... so I tried the FJR. I really prefer chain drive (less power loss from the engine to the wheel and I found it easy to maintain) but I don't mind having shaft if it's reliable and I know FJR's is (unlike BMW.)

So, when I got on the FJR that weights at least 100 lbs more, I didn't want to expect too much. Surprisingly, the engine impressed me with all that power and torque! I truly did not feel it weighs 100 lbs more (yes, I checked the fuel gauge on the LCD dash and the tank was full so they didn't trick me by putting in only 1/2 gallon gas to reduce the weight
smile.png
.) The demo ride following the Yamaha factory leader through local streets and some 50-mph twisties that I was able to push it a little (not too much as I did not know the tires and its capability) and I love it. There was no freeway ride. At least it did as well as my Blackbird on a similar road. I did not have a chance to try the ES.

So, the questions are:

- Of course I like to be able to adjust the suspension on-the-fly depending on road conditions. But, the out-the-door price of the ES is about $2000 more than the 'A' as the 'A' has more discount. I'm now more leaning to get the 'A'. I don't know how much is the Ohlins shock for the FJR, but I assume $2000 will be enough to get a brand new Ohlins shock + respring/revalve the front fork a couple years from now. I'm 165-lb fully geared so the spring rate of either should be fine for me. Which one would you get?

Thanks.

PS:

I test ride the 2014 BMW R1200RT before BMW issue a 'stop ride' and I was not impressed by its engine at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Of course I like to be able to adjust the suspension on-the-fly depending on road conditions. But, the out-the-door price of the ES is about $2000 more than the 'A' as the 'A' has more discount. I'm now more leaning to get the 'A'. I don't know how much is the Ohlins shock for the FJR, but I assume $2000 will be enough to get a brand new Ohlins shock + respring/revalve the front fork a couple years from now. I'm 165-lb fully geared so the spring rate of either should be fine for me.
I didn't see any actual question mark there, but I think the answer is....it depends. You can do an A with an Ohlins rear shock in the $1100-$1400 range, but that doesn't touch the front yet. To redo the front forks probably tips you over $2K.

I rolled the dice and went with an ES myself on the hope/desire/illusion they'd be better sprung for my beefy load and, so far, it has. I've very impressed, so far, with the ES suspension....all 2000 miles worth. And I had a variety of Wilbers, Penske, and Ohlins on my big-mileage Gen 1 this bike replaced.

- Of course I like to be able to adjust the suspension on-the-fly depending on road conditions. But, the out-the-door price of the ES is about $2000 more than the 'A' as the 'A' has more discount. I'm now more leaning to get the 'A'. I don't know how much is the Ohlins shock for the FJR, but I assume $2000 will be enough to get a brand new Ohlins shock + respring/revalve the front fork a couple years from now. I'm 165-lb fully geared so the spring rate of either should be fine for me.
I didn't see any actual question mark there, but I think the answer is....it depends. You can do an A with an Ohlins rear shock in the $1100-$1400 range, but that doesn't touch the front yet. To redo the front forks probably tips you over $2K.

I rolled the dice and went with an ES myself on the hope/desire/illusion they'd be better sprung for my beefy load and, so far, it has. I've very impressed, so far, with the ES suspension....all 2000 miles worth. And I had a variety of Wilbers, Penske, and Ohlins on my big-mileage Gen 1 this bike replaced.
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate it.

Just added a question to my original post :)

I'm sure the ES is better in term of being able to be adjusted on-the-fly. OTOH, I weight 165-lb fully geared so either suspension will be fine for my weight.

You said that the 'ES" is better sprung for you. How about the adjustability? Do you find it essential or doesn't matter?

Thanks again!

You said that the 'ES" is better sprung for you. How about the adjustability? Do you find it essential or doesn't matter?
I'm a big boy at 275 and was surprised it was sprung enough for me. I find the most difference in the valving part and it's VERY obvious between Sport and Soft....so my nice-to-have is quickly turning into its-essential-to-me-now. The pre-load part I haven't noticed as much yet, but did tip the bike at 400+ pounds of rider and pillion and performed as expected.

The AEE is under sprung for me, however there is a good adjustment range.

In hindsight, I should have gone with stock suspension and keep the $$$$ saved for a better seat, lol lol.

I'm going to keep my YA 707 off my 07 just in case.

I'm lalso ead to believe the stock shock is far better and cheaper than previous generations.

And I can work on the normal forks, don't know anything about upside down ones ???

Something else to consider is that, in many parts of the country, the ES is sold out already! Yo\u can't even get one if you want it. Yamaha US did not anticipate that there would be quite as much fever to get the ES and they either 1) priced the thing too low, or 2) did not import enough of them.

If you are a solo rider and anticipate that you will want to upgrade the suspension with aftermarket, and you can get discounts that make the "A" 2000 less than the ES, it very likely that the "A" will actually be a better deal for you.

The ES suspension will not be easy to upgrade in the future. And the parts to do an A are already available. And besides, who knows? Maybe you won't need to upgrade anythingh and can just dial the clickers in and ride off into the sunset with 20 Benjamins keeping you company.

Thank you Ken, thank you Fred,

When I went to the Yamaha Demo Truck last Fri, the dealer did have an 'ES' in stock that I sat on.

I'm a solo rider as my wife is not interested in riding in the back (ever since I started riding 18 years ago.)

I like to work on my own bikes too so being easier to work on is a big plus in my book :)

I truly like the FJR even though I only had about 30 minutes ride on it.

Having owned 3 FJR's (an '05, '10 & '14ES), I find the premium of the ES to be well, well worth it. Tuning the suspension for the road conditions is a huge benefit.

If you can't get your hands on an ES, and if you're not thrilled w/the A model, upgrading an A is certainly an option, in which case, try to find a leftover or mint used '13 & upgrade that to save even more dough.

To Fred's point, aftermarket suspension goodies aren't yet available for the ES, but it's only a matter of time before they are. Which is exactly what we need: More excuses to spend money on our bikes.

1426473_10153499184270103_183899527_n.jpg

The Gen 3 front will cost you around $1,600 for the new front 25mm fork cartridge and upgraded fork caps.

As an owner of the ES, based on what you you have said about yourself and riding style, you are probably better off getting the "A" and trying it out before you upgrade the suspension. With your relatively light weight and no pillion to carry around, you will probably find the suspension good enough. Even if you don't, you could upgrade the rear shock and have an easy to change setup that is designed for you.

The only benefit you would get with the ES is having the preload and rebound adjustments at your fingertips. However, you have to be at a stand still with the engine running to change the preload; not much better than hopping off the bike and turning a knob since you will not have a passenger on the bike. Also, your total weight on the bike will not change much and once you set the preload it will probably be not adjusted again. Rebound is adjustable on the fly and would be the benefit you could take advantage of when you go from city to slab to curves. You need to ask yourself if this one thing is worth the extra cost?

Another question is: on the 'A' model, I saw there is a lever on the left side to adjust the preload for the rear shock.

- Are 'Soft' and 'Hard' the only 2 options and nothing in between?

- Can we set the preload amount for 'Soft' and 'Hard' individually or those were preadjusted at the factory and not adjustable?

Well, I'm a little biased owning a 2104 A model. I went looking for an ES back in October but nobody had them and I didn't believe them when they said they would get them. Also, no dealing on MSRP, full list and possibly a dealer markup. I ride mostly solo (225 lbs) and like a sporty suspension. I find the A model exactly suited to my needs and I have the adjustments in the middle of the range. Excellent handling. In the past I have typically fiddled around with adjustments, settled on settings that I like and rarely change them. After 7,000 miles and 8 months I have not touched the settings.

Another aspect of my decision had to do with circumstances down the road. Not possible (as I understand it) to customize the ES suspension and replacement components are spendy (over $2k for the rear shock as I understand it). Must go with OEM. I have never customized suspension systems but I do have that option if desired.

Bottom line, though, is Yamaha hit it out of the park with the 2014 FJRs. They have two fine examples to choose from and in my opinion you cannot lose. Most fantastic motorcycle I've ever owned (over a dozen in the past 50+ years). I couldn't be happier.

Dan

What kind of forks are these? OEM?

The Gen 3 front will cost you around $1,600 for the new front 25mm fork cartridge and upgraded fork caps.
That's the cartridge kit from KFG Racing / GP Suspension. Good products, exceedingly piss-poor customer service.

Since you're only 165# the A model will fit you just fine. In the future when you wear out the stock shock, upgrade to a Penske if you feel it's necessary or just buy a replacement OEM and ride the bike stock.

Just my $.02

--G

Another question is: on the 'A' model, I saw there is a lever on the left side to adjust the preload for the rear shock.- Are 'Soft' and 'Hard' the only 2 options and nothing in between?

- Can we set the preload amount for 'Soft' and 'Hard' individually or those were preadjusted at the factory and not adjustable?
Only two settings. No adjustment for these two settings.

Another question is: on the 'A' model, I saw there is a lever on the left side to adjust the preload for the rear shock.- Are 'Soft' and 'Hard' the only 2 options and nothing in between?

Two different settings. Hard, soft, and standard related to rebound and can be adjusted on the fly. Each of the three settigs have 7 sub settings that you can change while stationary.

Preload is represented by single rider, rider plus gear, two riders, and two riders plus gear icons. These 4 levels are only changeable when the bike is stationary.

Two different settings. Hard, soft, and standard related to rebound and can be adjusted on the fly. Each of the three settigs have 7 sub settings that you can change while stationary.

Preload is represented by single rider, rider plus gear, two riders, and two riders plus gear icons. These 4 levels are only changeable when the bike is stationary.
Just to clarify, these settings listed above are for the ES model.

Well, I'm a little biased owning a 2104 A model. I went looking for an ES back in October but nobody had them and I didn't believe them when they said they would get them. Also, no dealing on MSRP, full list and possibly a dealer markup. I ride mostly solo (225 lbs) and like a sporty suspension. I find the A model exactly suited to my needs and I have the adjustments in the middle of the range. Excellent handling. In the past I have typically fiddled around with adjustments, settled on settings that I like and rarely change them. After 7,000 miles and 8 months I have not touched the settings.
Another aspect of my decision had to do with circumstances down the road. Not possible (as I understand it) to customize the ES suspension and replacement components are spendy (over $2k for the rear shock as I understand it). Must go with OEM. I have never customized suspension systems but I do have that option if desired.

Bottom line, though, is Yamaha hit it out of the park with the 2014 FJRs. They have two fine examples to choose from and in my opinion you cannot lose. Most fantastic motorcycle I've ever owned (over a dozen in the past 50+ years). I couldn't be happier.

Dan
Yamaha hit a bull’s-eye w/ the FJR! Look'in how little it's changed over all the years while the "competition"(?) haz ta keep redesigning itself every couple years.

The ES duz have the USD cartridge forks while the "A" haz the conventional forks. (Am I wrong?) But they seem good nuff fer the street, and them Gold Valve emulators really make 'em sweet.

Be'in the cheap bastard I am, I'd prolly go w/ the "A" mahself. Butt as Berman here points out, you can't go wrong with either.